Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hi forum
I want to install iOS 14 public beta on my iPhone, but I have a question about iCloud backup before installing.

If I take an backup on iOS 13 on iCloud, installing iOS 14 and taking a new backup, wouldn't it erase the old iOS 13 backup and doing my backup incompatible with iOS 13 if I one day want/need to downgrade?
Or is it possible to install and iOS 14 backup on iOS 13, or how does it work?

I don't want to take a backup on iTunes/Mac because my Mac doesn't have enough space to back up my camera roll on iPhone

Thanks for the help.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi forum
I want to install iOS 14 public beta on my iPhone, but I have a question about iCloud backup before installing.

If I take an backup on iOS 13 on iCloud, installing iOS 14 and taking a new backup, wouldn't it erase the old iOS 13 backup and doing my backup incompatible with iOS 13 if I one day want/need to downgrade?
Or is it possible to install and iOS 14 backup on iOS 13, or how does it work?

I don't want to take a backup on iTunes/Mac because my Mac doesn't have enough space to back up my camera roll on iPhone

Thanks for the help.

Backing up an iOS 14 device will overwrite the previous iOS 13 backup for that same device. The only way would be to do an encrypted backup on your Mac. Could you offload some content on the Mac to make room? Once the backup is done, you can copy it off to an external drive and then restore the original content to your Mac.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There’s ways to alter backup location to an external drive with some symlink. Not sure if that works for catalina but works like a charm for iTunes.

Some third party management software like iMazing also can backup your device straight to external drive, though those backups can’t be read by iTunes or finder.

iCloud backup only has one version. Any new successful backup will permanently overwrite the old one.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Thanks for the help.
I have a spare iPhone 6s, so I decided to restore my iOS 13 backup on my current iPhone on that to 'create a backup there won't be overwritten.' and then installed iOS 14.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.