iOS 14 Brings QuickTake Feature to iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 14 brings the QuickTake feature that was introduced for the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max to Apple's 2018 iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max.

Introduced with the 2019 iPhone lineup, QuickTake is a feature that lets you record video by holding down the shutter button in photo mode so you can capture a video-worthy moment right away without needing to swap camera modes.

At launch, QuickTake was only included in Apple's new iPhone lineup, but with iOS 14, the older iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max can use the option. QuickTake was also added to the new 2020 iPhone SE.

Apple is also introducing a new feature that lets you capture QuickTake video on compatible devices by holding the Volume Down button, which is an even faster way to record video.

Holding the Volume Up button allows users to capture burst photos, which is another new feature.

Article Link: iOS 14 Brings QuickTake Feature to iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
I'm sorry... I don't think I'll ever not think of the original QuickTake when this feature is mentioned.

quicktake-150.jpg

- - Post merged: - -

Anyone remember the Apple Quicktake Camera? A whopping 640x480 Resolution. Photos looked like an awful VHS video grab.

It was incredible in its day -- keep in mind we are talking about the mid-90s. I still have my QuickTake 150.

Johnkoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Finally! Does anyone know if they also added the ability to switch video quality right within the camera app in iOS 14 for XS?

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
You do wonder though why this wasn’t included in all phones that support IOS14
Maybe they originally used the A13 machine learning processor for the QuickTake feature, but later found they could get it working with the A12 - but not the A11. Maybe optimizations in iOS 14 made the last bit of difference necessary to get it working on the A12. Who knows, but I bet it’s related to the machine learning processor, which made huge performance gains from the A11 to the A12. It’s not the camera unit itself, since the iPhone SE 2020 has QuickTake, an A13, but an older camera module.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

edc415

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
San Francisco, CA
1. Apple adds functionality to devices from 2018
2. Folks with devices from 2017 complain
Thank you for your insight.

Bought an iPhone 8 Plus in 2018. Apple stopped selling the 8 Plus as part of their main lineup on April 15, 2020.
This simple feature would be great across all phones that can support it.
Both the X and 8 Plus have the Apple A11 Bionic Chip.

I strongly suspect it is a marketing decision rather than a processor limitation.

Remapping the current UI buttons (swipe to change modes from photo to video followed by pressing the shutter button) to the simpler more elegant long press on the shutter button to start video makes sense.

Hoping Apple makes the functionality using the new UI available for all IOS 14 devices in a future update.

It would certainly facilitate filming and doxxing 😷🎥 all the Entitled Karens 👩 of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: vmistery

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
OK, so how do you now take bursts with the shutter button if they've re-mapped holding it to QuickTake? Volume Up should be an alternative, not the only way.

Reactions: oddiecz

Tweety_01

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
Did someone notice you can zoom in more in videos with quicktake than with the standard video mode? I don't know if it's only more digital zoom, but at least i can go from 1x to 10x, instead of 1x-3x and 2x-6x in the standard video mode.

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
That was totally unexpected.

Not sure if anyone remembered this but this is very similar to iPhone 3G (2008) when Google Maps had "blue dot" (meaning you) for traveling whereas original iPhone (2007) doesn't have that feature until it was released few updates later? I thought it'd never arrive but glad it did or I'd be forced to buy iPhone 3G for that feature lol

Shane Smith

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
OK, so how do you now take bursts with the shutter button if they've re-mapped holding it to QuickTake? Volume Up should be an alternative, not the only way.
You simply pull the shutter button to the left yo take a trillion pictures a minute lol.

Reactions: NightFox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.