Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Let me know when they "come up" with a messenger that they stick with for more than two years.

That mess isn't getting better any time soon.

One of the biggest botched opportunities in all of Silicon Valley in the past few years is Google’s repeated, persistent, tragic-on-a-Greek-scale failure to get its messaging products right. Six (six!) years ago I detailed Google’s massive effort to unify everything under Hangouts. Every year since then has been either a fiasco, catastrophe, retrenchment, or an outright retreat.

After five years of that, Google threw in the towel and put the carriers in charge of text messaging on Android. It went all in on RCS Chat in April 2018, an SMS replacement that could be owned and operated by the mobile carriers.

It turns out that giving over control of your entire messaging product strategy to the companies that are focused on mergers, 5G, and TV streaming apps was a bad idea. Who could have guessed?
[automerge]1586362563[/automerge]
Let's not forget alot of those "extra apps" available for Android is malware.

What might some Android apps be quietly doing behind the backs of their users?

The answer, according to a succession of studies, is quite a lot, probably more than some users would be comfortable with if they knew about it.

This isn’t necessarily about outright malicious apps so much as legitimate apps taking liberties or installing with capabilities users wouldn’t expect to exist.

For example, in March researchers reported that some apps pay a lot of attention to other apps installed on a device, which in theory could be used to gather data on a user’s behaviour and inclinations.

But a recently published study from researchers at Ohio State University, New York University, and the Helmholtz Center for Information Security (CISPA) offers hard evidence that undocumented and hidden behaviours often extend far beyond mere nosy snooping.

Using a sophisticated static analysis tool called InputScope developed for the purpose, the team analysed the behaviour of 150,000 apps, comprising the 100,000 most popular on Google Play in April 2019, plus 30,000 apps pre-installed on Samsung devices, and 20,000 taken from the alternative Chinese market Baidu.

The study examined two issues – what proportion of apps exhibited secret behaviours and how these might be used or abused.

Of the 150,000, 12,706 exhibited a range of behaviours indicating the presence of backdoors (secret access keys, master passwords, and secret commands) plus another 4,028 that seemed to be checking user input against blacklisted words such as political leaders’ names, incidents in the news, and racial discrimination.

Looking at backdoors, both Google Play and apps from alternative app stores such as Baidu showed roughly the same percentage of apps falling into this category, 6.8% and 5.3% respectively.

Interestingly, for pre-installed ‘bloatware’ apps, the percentage showing this behaviour was double the other sources at around 16%.

This finding chimes with a public letter sent to Google CEO Sundar Pichai in January by Privacy International that criticised the way that pre-installed apps are often not scrutinised for privacy and security problems, creating a tempting workaround for surveillance.

As a separate 2019 Spanish study documented, the provenance of pre-installed apps is often shadowy, based on commercial tie-ups between phone makers that the end user would not be aware of.

The latest results would seem to confirm this, not only for behaviours that can be described as backdoors but for secret blacklisting.

sintra1

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2004
Harrow North West London
You seem confused which is funny taking in consideration how determined you was to come with a response.
By "bringing the phone experience" I was talking about Dex on screens, monitors etc. so it wasn't about computers/laptops. About Dex on computers I said being able to access your phone's apps and info in a desktop like interface.
Dex on a computer is like a virtual machine, it can be useful in a variety of ways(from simple to complex tasks by executing different workloads on both devices at the same time using the same keyboard and mouse) and it works even with computers that are not owned by the person that owns the phone so there's are additional cases where Dex proves useful on windows etc.
You only look at it from a narrow perspective: oh I have office installed on my computer, Dex is useless".

I don't see how thy didn't do that maybe you could be more specific.
Dex also improved in the sense that it became more accessible(you only need cable now) and more usable because the phone hardware is much faster than it use to be. I've seen users that installed emulators on Samsung phones and with Dex turned turned them into a Gaming PC basically.
Also Google not investing in Android's app ecosystem beyond chrome and google drive is simply a nonsense claim.

Facts there are different approaches by Apple and the Android powered masses .

Most Android software and there a millions of apps are utter rubbish (so are a million apps in the App Store imho).
Android developers seem to not care about scaling and thats explicitly down to a free for all and lack of rules.

Going over the same nitpicking and frankly irrelevant Android does xyz this way and iOS abc is simply tedious.

Counldn’t care less what wall paper or some skin the phone/iPad has cepting that it sits peacefully in the back ground

And as others have said it the quality and reliability of the apps AND the ability to share that with a PC/Mac without going through hurdles.

iOS with Dropbox, built in file sharing, and hand off from Apples range of productivity products and even OFFiCE 365 and Teams, iCloud for photos whilst I have a 30,000 tunes none now live on my iOS device period stop.

Did I mention Airdrop .

Almost never use a wire these days .

And I use the ipad for tech drawings, PDF editing , Office of course , image processing on the go and even via Logmein to work on my office PC remotely.

Some light gaming .

Oh and i have a business Samsung - Can’t get it to print , email client is crap imho, and downloads go into some god awful hidden folder and then I have to find an app to open them.

Still each to their own

Last edited:
Reactions: cgsnipinva

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Let me know when they "come up" with a messenger that they stick with for more than two years.
Google Hangout was released in 2013. More importantly, Google released Google messages which uses RCS (whenever possible) which is a future messaging protocol for iOS as well. So, once again, Android is way ahead of iOS.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Google Hangout was released in 2013. More importantly, Google released Google messages which uses RCS (whenever possible) which is a future messaging protocol for iOS as well. So, once again, Android is way ahead of iOS.

OK that was funny. No one thinks Google is ahead of iOS on messaging. By any stretch. I appreciate the afternoon humor.

Google doesn't even believe that. And reference the article linked above - Google is letting the carriers implement text messaging on android -- Google gave up.

Reactions: I7guy

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Google Hangout was released in 2013.

And has been more or less deprecated since.

More importantly, Google released Google messages which uses RCS (whenever possible) which is a future messaging protocol for iOS as well. So, once again, Android is way ahead of iOS.

Yes, I too find the cellular carriers' attempts to develop an SMS successor as a revenue stream adorable.

Reactions: cgsnipinva

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
OK that was funny. No one thinks Google is ahead of iOS on messaging. By any stretch. I appreciate the afternoon humor.

Google doesn't even believe that. And reference the article linked above - Google is letting the carriers implement text messaging on android -- Google gave up.
Google is not always the first but their method (of trying multiple approaches) in most cases produces the best result in the end. iOS might be ahead right now but the Google solution is likely to win in the end. Even now, iMessage is a good but marginal messenger with very low market share worldwide. WhatsApp is mopping the floor with it (again, market share wise). That's the fate of all Apple products. They always remain niche products. Google could have easily come up with iMessage-like messenger but that's simply not what they are aiming for.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Google is not always the first but their method (of trying multiple approaches) in most cases produces the best result in the end. iOS might be ahead right now but the Google solution is likely to win in the end. Even now, iMessage is a good but marginal messenger with very low market share worldwide. WhatsApp is mopping the floor with it (again, market share wise).

It depends on the market. WhatsApp seems pretty big over here; iMessage over in the US.

But, uh, neither of those is by Google, so I'm not sure what your point is.

That's the fate of all Apple products. They always remain niche products.

I think Apple is quite satisfied with their "niche" revenues from iPhones.

Google could have easily come up with iMessage-like messenger but that's simply not what they are aiming for.

Yeah, uh, except they couldn't? They tried over and over, and now they're partnering with carriers as their next gasp.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Google is not always the first but their method (of trying multiple approaches) in most cases produces the best result in the end. iOS might be ahead right now but the Google solution is likely to win in the end. Even now, iMessage is a good but marginal messenger with very low market share worldwide. WhatsApp is mopping the floor with it (again, market share wise). That's the fate of all Apple products. They always remain niche products. Google could have easily come up with iMessage-like messenger but that's simply not what they are aiming for.

Riiiighhht. Apple solutions are used not only in consumer apps but in large scale enterprises -- places where Android is no where to be found. Messages for business is used in IBM, Accenture, GE, Bank of America, AXXA, Coca Cola -- I could go on and on. It is by no means a niche product. It has been consistent and adding features in a secure and stable way. SAP integrated Apple messages into its mobile software and only makes its software for iOS --- not Android.

Google gave up because they couldn't develop and deploy a reliable and secure messages app people wanted to use.

A recent survey conducted across 110 chief information officers in 10 different industries, confirmed Apple as the chosen platform for enterprises when it comes to mobile devices and tablets.

"The survey reported around 50% of respondents supporting iOS, versus 29% opting for Android, 19% for Windows, and 1%for BlackBerry.

Enterprises are preferring iOS for simplified documentation where email attachments with Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, or Word documents can be viewed easily without compulsion for new software download. Apple’s iWork suite of apps supports document formatting and editing, which also can be exported into Microsoft formats. iOS allows Microsoft Exchange accounts, along with compatibility to ActiveSync, enabling syncing of calendars, contacts, and email hosted on enterprise Exchange servers transferred to any iOS devices.

From an IT perspective, iOS is more compelling because of its enhanced security as the apps are restricted from accessing risky foreign data, guarding against malicious third-party apps getting access to sensitive corporate information. CTOs across industries strongly advise iOS for its remote locking feature which enables wiping out data in case of device loss or theft.

Experts say its extended support to standard VPN protocols, allowing employees to securely access corporate intranets out of the workplace using SSL VPN, IPSec, and WPA2 Enterprise Wi-Fi. iOS updates have greater lifespan having better compatibility with older hardware. Also, iOS devices can be remotely configured to handle changes in mail settings, WiFi settings, parental controls, application installs and manage other enterprise access restrictions. Remote deployment of in-house apps is enabled in iOS devices. In contrast, each type of Android device needs to be configured and supported internally and with the different vendors as well as mobile providers to evaluate and promote."

Last edited:

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Riiiighhht. Apple solutions are used not only in consumer apps but in large scale enterprises -- places where Android is no where to be found. Messages for business is used in IBM, Accenture, GE, Bank of America, AXXA, Coca Cola -- I could go on and on. It is by no means a niche product. It has been consistent and adding features in a secure and stable way. SAP integrated Apple messages into its mobile software and only makes its software for iOS --- not Android.

Google gave up because they couldn't develop and deploy a reliable and secure messages app people wanted to use.

A recent survey conducted across 110 chief information officers in 10 different industries, confirmed Apple as the chosen platform for enterprises when it comes to mobile devices and tablets.

"The survey reported around 50% of respondents supporting iOS, versus 29% opting for Android, 19% for Windows, and 1%for BlackBerry.

Enterprises are preferring iOS for simplified documentation where email attachments with Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, or Word documents can be viewed easily without compulsion for new software download. Apple’s iWork suite of apps supports document formatting and editing, which also can be exported into Microsoft formats. iOS allows Microsoft Exchange accounts, along with compatibility to ActiveSync, enabling syncing of calendars, contacts, and email hosted on enterprise Exchange servers transferred to any iOS devices.

From an IT perspective, iOS is more compelling because of its enhanced security as the apps are restricted from accessing risky foreign data, guarding against malicious third-party apps getting access to sensitive corporate information. CTOs across industries strongly advise iOS for its remote locking feature which enables wiping out data in case of device loss or theft.

Experts say its extended support to standard VPN protocols, allowing employees to securely access corporate intranets out of the workplace using SSL VPN, IPSec, and WPA2 Enterprise Wi-Fi. iOS updates have greater lifespan having better compatibility with older hardware. Also, iOS devices can be remotely configured to handle changes in mail settings, WiFi settings, parental controls, application installs and manage other enterprise access restrictions. Remote deployment of in-house apps is enabled in iOS devices. In contrast, each type of Android device needs to be configured and supported internally and with the different vendors as well as mobile providers to evaluate and promote."
Sure, iOS has all of this but so do Samsung phones (also pre-installed). These particular stats data are for enterprises (just 100 ten of them, probably all in US). I suspect that if you survey small businesses (especially in China and India) the ratio will be quite different.

As far as the security is concerned, all the stuff that you bolded is available on Android. In addition to everything iOS offers, Android also has antivirus software.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Sure, iOS has all of this but so do Samsung phones (also pre-installed). These particular stats data are for enterprises (just 100 ten of them, probably all in US). I suspect that if you survey small businesses (especially in China and India) the ratio will be quite different.

As far as the security is concerned, all the stuff that you bolded is available on Android. In addition to everything iOS offers, Android also has antivirus software.

if you looked at the specific business case -- half of them are in Europe

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
So just now I finally bought my first iPhone and this is how it looks like compared to my s8

6C2689CF-E9EE-458B-9E48-607BC5622395.png Screenshot_20200409-173117_Lawnchair.jpg I hope ios14 lets me put widgets so I can make it at least similar to my galaxy s8, this is my first iPhone ever and my iPad Pro 2018 is my first ever apple device ,also I want to at least have 5 dock apps not locked to 4 or folders

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Jon prossor doesn’t reckon this build is true. He doesn’t rule it out but it’s not in any current IOS 14 build

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
As someone who has used droids more than iDevices recently I care less about widgets, I only usually use a weather one. I care more about just being able to customise my home screen a little more.

If all we get is the same wrapping from the top 4x6 grid with widgets bolted on I'll be very disappointed.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
As someone who has used droids more than iDevices recently I care less about widgets, I only usually use a weather one. I care more about just being able to customise my home screen a little more.

If all we get is the same wrapping from the top 4x6 grid with widgets bolted on I'll be very disappointed.
im already disappointed with my iphone it feels so damn locked from notifiations, files system, cant even do most basic thing like changing a custom ringtone without a computer, cant change volume setting so for different things like calls text notifications on iphone are literally just 2 settings.
Worst of all Home Screen i cant customize to my liking i just want my set of folded apps at the bottom with at least 6 apps on my dock and if i could have a full screen calendar on my right side would be awesome for now im stuck with a few folders forced to the top , my family says my iphone looks weird because i like my folder system over having all my apps out literally scrolling through pages but on android I just pulled my dock up and tada app navigation, plus color led notification. other than that imessage is awesome and i really like how icloud backup works especially with my iphone and ipad pro. but yikes i hope apple starts allowing more to customization

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.