Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luchid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
I'm on the latest PB and the option to mirror the selfie camera's photos that was once present in previous iOS 14 betas is now gone. This is on an iPhone X. Anyone else seeing the same?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
did you check under settings>camera>mirror front camera? is that missing?

EDIT: the option is there, but does not seem to change anything; no matter what setting i have it on, am ONLY seeing a mirror image...

darkarw

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
did you check under settings>camera>mirror front camera? is that missing?

EDIT: the option is there, but does not seem to change anything; no matter what setting i have it on, am ONLY seeing a mirror image...
The change doesn’t occur when looking at the camera, but instead the photos that are taken are mirror reversed.

luchid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Thanks guys! Yup, I checked under settings - Camera, where it used to be in previous Betas, and the setting to mirror is no longer there as it was in the previous Beta.

Have reported it to Apple using the Feedback app, no reply yet.
so it works... the OP should check under 'settings'...

EDIT: what's the appeal of this (mirroring?); just curious why someone would want a selfie where the right side is on the left side (& vice versa)

I find it useful because what you see is what you get. Sometimes, for whatever reason (probably my asymmetrical face :p) sometimes the "real" version looks off. Instagram has gotten us all used to this, as their camera does this mirroring automatically.

It's weird that it used to be there, and now it isn't. Maybe it's something iPhone X-specific?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks guys! Yup, I checked under settings - Camera, where it used to be in previous Betas, and the setting to mirror is no longer there as it was in the previous Beta.

Have reported it to Apple using the Feedback app, no reply yet.

I find it useful because what you see is what you get. Sometimes, for whatever reason (probably my asymmetrical face :p) sometimes the "real" version looks off. Instagram has gotten us all used to this, as their camera does this mirroring automatically.

It's weird that it used to be there, and now it isn't. Maybe it's something iPhone X-specific?

i guess, if you take selfies just for yourself, but to everyone else, you'd look backwards. still, it must be popular enough for apple to add this (altho not sure why it's missing in your camera settings...)

telnix

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
so it works... the OP should check under 'settings'...

EDIT: what's the appeal of this (mirroring?); just curious why someone would want a selfie where the right side is on the left side (& vice versa)
Well, if there’s any writing (on tee shirts for example) it will come out backwards, won’t it? Seems a pretty good “appeal” to me!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Well, if there’s any writing (on tee shirts for example) it will come out backwards, won’t it? Seems a pretty good “appeal” to me!
haha.... what? if the picture is mirrored, the image is what YOU see in a mirror, not what others see... and it will then be backwards. a 'normal' photo captures the 'real world' view. try it.

telnix

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
haha.... what? if the picture is mirrored, the image is what YOU see in a mirror, not what others see... and it will then be backwards. a 'normal' photo captures the 'real world' view. try it.
You questioned having it so that your left hand looks right etc. Well that is the right way round. If it’s like a mirror then writing will be the wrong way round. So there is a need to change it. Mirrored is the default so that normally writing etc will be reversed. I think that it is great to have it changed so that you can take photographs, let’s face it, like a normal camera does. The mirroring only came about with cameras on phones. If you don’t understand, I don’t think I can explain it more simply.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You questioned having it so that your left hand looks right etc. Well that is the right way round. If it’s like a mirror then writing will be the wrong way round. So there is a need to change it. Mirrored is the default so that normally writing etc will be reversed. I think that it is great to have it changed so that you can take photographs, let’s face it, like a normal camera does. The mirroring only came about with cameras on phones. If you don’t understand, I don’t think I can explain it more simply.

am not sure what you mean; the camera sees you the way others see you. TRY IT. 'normal' is normal for the world, and mirrored shows you what you'd see in a mirror... this is how cameras have worked since they were first invented, and why billions of photos since that time show text (on a shirt, a wall, a sign, etc) correctly.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
am not sure what you mean; the camera sees you the way others see you. TRY IT. 'normal' is normal for the world, and mirrored shows you what you'd see in a mirror... this is how cameras have worked since they were first invented, and why billions of photos since that time show text (on a shirt, a wall, a sign, etc) correctly.
You are correct, I think. :) The mirror setting causes the photo to match the viewfinder view. That way the shot is wysiwyg. Apparently enough people prefer that to cause the writing of several apps to do it.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
What I find very strange about this setting is that the viewfinder image doesn’t change regardless of the mirror setting, only the actual photograph does. Why would they do that? Why wouldn’t they make the viewfinder show what you were going to take a picture of in the right orientation?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
What I find very strange about this setting is that the viewfinder image doesn’t change regardless of the mirror setting, only the actual photograph does. Why would they do that? Why wouldn’t they make the viewfinder show what you were going to take a picture of in the right orientation?
apple's way of telling you how absurd it is to shoot a selife this way? (ok, i don't really believe that)... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.