Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14's Compact Interface: Phone Calls, FaceTime, Siri and More

Aleh

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Anyone able to say how the Pub Beta is working on older phones like 6s/6s+ ?

I’m curious which features each generation of phone will be able to use. For example I kind of doubt PIP works on older phones, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did.
SE here, it works just as fluid as iOS 13 and it has PiP

Reactions: arkmannj
Comment

bluespark

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The accept and reject buttons are awfully close together on the incoming call thingy. We're going to be inadvertently answering many calls we intended to reject.

Comment

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
Buttons are too close to each other, should probably be a swipe rather tgan a tap perhaps to answer. I can see people tapping the wrong button

Reactions: NetMage
Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Okay, but can they give me an interface that answers a call the first time I swipe or press the green "answer" button rather than having to do it 5-10 times and sometimes having it never register?
That feature is being saved for iOS 15.
[automerge]1595022840[/automerge]
The accept and reject buttons are awfully close together on the incoming call thingy. We're going to be inadvertently answering many calls we intended to reject.
Apple should put the accept button on the left side of the widget and the reject on the right side, with the person’s picture in the middle.

Reactions: NetMage and Dj64Mk7
Comment

richard779

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Sydney
Siri

Siri requests in iOS 14 are also part of the compact interface, and activating Siri no longer takes over the entire iPhone. Instead, when you activate Siri through a "Hey Siri" voice command or through a physical button, a circular, animated Siri icon pops up at the bottom of the iPhone's display.

I can’t seem to get compact Siri on my Developer Beta 2.
Not too sure if there is something I’m missing.

Reactions: reybart
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can someone please explain to me why the screenshot from the beta of iOS 14 inbound call on the iPhone specifically states the inbound caller name and the tagline "from your iPhone"? The call is showing on the iPhone, why would the receiving person need to know ON their iPhone the call is coming into their iPhone? Seems like a big oversight mistake from Apple.

Comment

reybart

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
Siri on my iphone does not activate as a compact interface, it is still taking over the entire phone. But I can watch videos with the new picture-in-picture . Is there something I need to do?

Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
So, how to I reach all the way up the top of the big screen again?? (To pick up or reject the call)
That would be an issue if the notification of the call is on the top.
At the bottom, it would interfere with the keyboard.
Blocking the whole screen makes everyone upset.
Maybe showing the notification in the middle?
Looks like there is no winning solution.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Can someone please explain to me why the screenshot from the beta of iOS 14 inbound call on the iPhone specifically states the inbound caller name and the tagline "from your iPhone"? The call is showing on the iPhone, why would the receiving person need to know ON their iPhone the call is coming into their iPhone? Seems like a big oversight mistake from Apple.

I am guessing that denotes the original incoming source, so that the user can determine how to handoff if need be.

Comment

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Completely obnoxious change. Now its too small to see who is calling unless the phone is a foot from your face. And the "targets" to accept or decline are way too close to each other. Not to mention putting them at the top. The only trick they missed to make your phone harder to use was to reverse them.
I could scream this is so stupid of a change.
[automerge]1595033594[/automerge]

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So, how to I reach all the way up the top of the big screen again?? (To pick up or reject the call)
That would be an issue if the notification of the call is on the top.
At the bottom, it would interfere with the keyboard.
Blocking the whole screen makes everyone upset.
Maybe showing the notification in the middle?
Looks like there is no winning solution.
Reachability?

Essentially it's all just as it would more or less be getting and interacting with any other notification that makes use of a banner while you are using the phone, as has been in use for quite a few years years and iOS versions.
[automerge]1595039696[/automerge]
Completely obnoxious change. Now its too small to see who is calling unless the phone is a foot from your face. And the "targets" to accept or decline are way too close to each other. Not to mention putting them at the top. The only trick they missed to make your phone harder to use was to reverse them.
It's only that way when you are using the phone, so in that sense it would typically already be close in front of you. Same goes for the notification, which works like other existing banner notifications have been working for quite a few years and iOS versions.

Ultimately it appears to be something that is user controllable and can be changed, effectively making it a nonissue.

Last edited:
Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

as the person above me stated - it only works in that way when your phone is unlocked. also, if it bothers you this much - you can disable it and stick to the original way. at least in the 1st beta you could...

Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Reachability?

Essentially it's all just as it would more or less be getting and interacting with any other notification that makes use of a banner while you are using the phone, as has been in use for quite a few years years and iOS versions.
Notification and a phone call are not the same. Let's get that straight first.
The phone's primary function is to call, otherwise it shall be named iTweet or something.
Reachability? That is like putting a bandage to a bigger issue. Might as well say use a Bluetooth headphone.
Picking up a phone call requiring a 2 step process of pulling the top half of the screen down and then accepting it. What happened to Apple's simplicity philosophy?

• Disagree
Reactions: BigDO
Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2008
The regular interface itself keeps freezing up on me. So many times I have had to kill the phone or whatsapp app in order to hang up because the buttons in the app don’t work.

Instead of coming up with more interface methods, it would be good if Apple would concentrate on making the existing ones stable.

Comment

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The banner interface is nice, but I don’t like how close the answer and cancel buttons are. I can see someone accidentally hitting the wrong one if tapping quickly.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Notification and a phone call are not the same. Let's get that straight first.
The phone's primary function is to call, otherwise it shall be named iTweet or something.
Reachability? That is like putting a bandage to a bigger issue. Might as well say use a Bluetooth headphone.
Picking up a phone call requiring a 2 step process of pulling the top half of the screen down and then accepting it. What happened to Apple's simplicity philosophy?
Simply provided a potential solution to a question that was asked.

As far as a call being something different, some might treat it that way, while some don't. Many also don't want to be randomly interrupted in the middle of something they are doing on their device just because someone decided to call them at that moment.

Ultimately it appears there's an option to have it still function as it did before, which makes it an improvement in that there is still the way it always worked and a new way that doesn't interrupt things for those who wish to make of. For the moment it seems that the implantation is to connect it with the existing notification system rather than necessarily bringing a whole new and different UI/UX. Could that new option be improved in some fashion? Perhaps, as is the case with many things (even beyond iOS), and perhaps that will happen.

Last edited:
Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Phone calls need a ghost button. So, people don't get dumped straight to voicemail but the ringing and any notification goes away.

You can press the sleep button once to mute the ringing, double-press sends them to voicemail.
When pressing the home button (if present), you can use the phone as usual, you only have a thin green bar on the top reminding you of the ongoing phone call. I assume swiping up button-less iPhones does the same...
[automerge]1595069439[/automerge]
Anyone able to say how the Pub Beta is working on older phones like 6s/6s+ ?

I’m curious which features each generation of phone will be able to use. For example I kind of doubt PIP works on older phones, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did.

Worked on my 2016 iPhone SE using facetime. Way better than the camera pausing for the other person when you're just quickly checking something on the phone.

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
Is it just me or is the new Siri floating ball a bad first concept design. Almost looks like someone threw together a gif to implement a new idea.
If they wanted a floating Siri graphic you'd think it be something with an 3D alpha channel mask and shadow to make it pop up as if it's a half inch above your screen and semi translucent.

Reactions: B4U
Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Simply provided a potential solution to a question that was asked.

As far as a call being something different, some might treat it that way, while some don't. Many also don't want to be randomly interrupted in the middle of something they are doing on their device just because someone decided to call them at that moment.

Ultimately it appears there's an option to have it still function as it did before, which makes it an improvement in that there is still the way it always worked and a new way that doesn't interrupt things for those who wish to make of. For the moment it seems that the implantation is to connect it with the existing notification system rather than necessarily bringing a whole new and different UI/UX. Could that new option be improved in some fashion? Perhaps, as is the case with many things (even beyond iOS), and perhaps that will happen.
And the implementation sucks. That is what I have been saying.
(Also, if anyone don't want to be randomly interrupted in the middle of something, they can turn on Do Not Disturb mode.)
The solution to the problem needs some more innovative ideas.

Full screen: Bad, blocks everything.
Notification bar on top of screen: Can't reach, due to the screen being too damn big for one handed use.
Bottom of screen: Blocks keyboard.
Middle of screen: Still blocks right in the middle.

Maybe a back tap?

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage and BigDO
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And the implementation sucks. That is what I have been saying.
(Also, if anyone don't want to be randomly interrupted in the middle of something, they can turn on Do Not Disturb mode.)
The solution to the problem needs some more innovative ideas.

Full screen: Bad, blocks everything.
Notification bar on top of screen: Can't reach, due to the screen being too damn big for one handed use.
Bottom of screen: Blocks keyboard.
Middle of screen: Still blocks right in the middle.

Maybe a back tap?
And yet seems like having an additional option to what has been there all along is better than simply what was there without any additional options.
[automerge]1595088852[/automerge]
You can press the sleep button once to mute the ringing, double-press sends them to voicemail.
When pressing the home button (if present), you can use the phone as usual, you only have a thin green bar on the top reminding you of the ongoing phone call. I assume swiping up button-less iPhones does the same...
But no option to just quickly dismiss/ignore the call without it interrupting what you are doing, until iOS 14.

Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
And yet seems like having an additional option to what has been there all along is better than simply what was there without any additional options.
Again, can't reach the damn buttons.
I am not saying the current implementation is good prior to iOS 14. But at least I can reach the buttons easily as they are close to the bottom.
Apple can fix this by making a smaller phone. Not everyone of us have a big hand.
Putting the phone call on the top of the screen is a poor implementation.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.