Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I'm not sure if this is new to iOS 15 but it's new to me. If you are screen recording and go to a password field, the screen recording does not show anything in the password field on the onscreen password... Effectively preventing a user from sharing their login password on a recording.
I just tested on iOS 14.6 and that's already the case. Not new.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
And I like them centered as it lends some symmetry to the entire notification panel. It really is simply a matter of preference.

In the process of "preparing" this post, I did just long press a calendar invite. I definitely like the new pop out invite-handler (pops out to the right of the notification, rather than below). It also feels "lighter" than the old style handler did.
Please tell me the tap & hold options aren’t still below the notification. This is annoying when in Mail and it loads the preview. The options get pushed to the bottom of the screen moving the touch targets with the buttons (obviously).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
In CarPlay, if you are in the Messages app there is now a little button called “Announce” at the top right of the dialog window. It’s semi active as it’s color changes from grey to purple if you select it. But it doesn’t actually seem to do anything. Anyone know what this does differently from the “old” CarPlay messages? (Yes, I’m sure it announces something, so no wiseacres need to respond with that! )
Old CarPlay doesn’t announce messages automatically. CarPlay in iOS 15 can. I’m guessing that’s the on/off switch for it. Thank god too since I’ve had a, slightly different but basically the same, feedback in for a while now. Mine focuses on allowing the Apple Watch to notify me of notifications when using CarPlay while the ringer is switched to mute. Currently you get no vibration on the watch and the notification comes in silent. Since I’m focused on driving I don’t see the notification pop up on screen most of the time.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Old CarPlay doesn’t announce messages automatically. CarPlay in iOS 15 can. I’m guessing that’s the on/off switch for it. Thank god too since I’ve had a, slightly different but basically the same, feedback in for a while now. Mine focuses on allowing the Apple Watch to notify me of notifications when using CarPlay while the ringer is switched to mute. Currently you get no vibration on the watch and the notification comes in silent. Since I’m focused on driving I don’t see the notification pop up on screen most of the time.

I’ve always gotten the little pop up notifications at the bottom of my CarPlay screen when I get messages. I’m wondering if this will announce them like AirPods do? I don’t think it’s done that yet, though, even though I selected it. Will have to try this and pay attention when it happens.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

NBKindaGirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
Kansas City, Missouri
Please tell me the tap & hold options aren’t still below the notification. This is annoying when in Mail and it loads the preview. The options get pushed to the bottom of the screen moving the touch targets with the buttons (obviously).
If you’re taking about, for example, long pressing a Twitter notification and having the option to like or retweet, then yes this menu is still at the bottom. It looks nicer now though.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is portrait mode multi-tasking new in iPadOS 15? Didn’t want to add it to the first post if it’s something that already exists.

Edit: When you swipe up to reveal active programs, you can swipe up to close one app of a split-screen pair. Pretty sure that wasn’t possible before.

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Don’t recall seeing this mentioned/posted yet. I Saw the notification when it came back but wasn’t able to screen capture it.

I gotta say, I really dislike how the notification header is cut off. Seems like it would look better wrapped to a second line.

79B6D701-14F1-44BB-A8A8-25B941D78C09.png

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It is, and not just is it smaller, it's flexible. It's just a little round thing that doesn't have to take up any height at all; You can push it to either side or it can be in the centre sometimes, but I can't seem to get it to go there manually after placing it at either side, and it more often starts to one side anyway. Don't really know the logic there. It's honestly a pretty nice system, much better than the prior one. View attachment 1790313

For iPad OS, when you have a keyboard attached, there is a dictation button on the little onscreen popup. This is a very welcome change as I don't always want to type as I use the magic keyboard as a case/keyboard combo.
Ok, then, if the bar has disappeared, where are now the keyboard suggestions (you know, the usual 3 words on the suggestions bar)? And the Bold/italics buttons??

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I hate the look of the new notifications. The huge icons centered vertically really bother me. I liked the small icon with the app name next to it a lot better. It looks cleaner and more organized. Now with the big icon in the center, each notification will look slightly different which I don't like.
Hey Jason I kinda think the same... I prefer a smaller Ivón on the notification icon. I guess I’ll get used to it, because iOS/iPadOS 15 is pretty awesome otherwise. Lots and lots of awesome little features that no one paid attention but they are there to polish the system! I truly hope the system is maturing.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Ok, then, if the bar has disappeared, where are now the keyboard suggestions (you know, the usual 3 words on the suggestions bar)? And the Bold/italics buttons??

I had that turned off on iPadOS 14 as well. I think if you have it turned on the little thing there can accommodate having the quicktype suggestions and just grows to fit.
But why would you want that when you have a physical keyboard attached? It's faster to just type the word than to reach up and tap. And same with bold/italic. cmd+b/cmd+I is faster and more comfortable. Though again, if the app had them before the little thing can have them too- Screenshot I showed was from a text field without extra options. It had more on it in Notes for example :)

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I had that turned off on iPadOS 14 as well. I think if you have it turned on the little thing there can accommodate having the quicktype suggestions and just grows to fit.
But why would you want that when you have a physical keyboard attached? It's faster to just type the word than to reach up and tap. And same with bold/italic. cmd+b/cmd+I is faster and more comfortable. Though again, if the app had them before the little thing can have them too- Screenshot I showed was from a text field without extra options. It had more on it in Notes for example :)
Oh, many thanks for the tips, I’ll probably try those shortcuts although I’m used to the b/i buttons.

As for the suggestions, you’re certainly right, but I don’t know, I like to see the suggestions anyways. This Bar was especially annoying when using Discord in side-bar view. You couldn’t read the message-writing field.

This little changes make the new iOS very appealing, despite the fact it appears to be just a minor update... damn, lots of little things!

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I actually think it looks cleaner this way...and you get more of them on a page. But tastes differ and your position is just as valid as mine!

Now, don't get me started on Safari on iPhone. That's a usability nightmare. iPad is ok...not great, but ok.
I suspect it will evolve as the beta progresses, especially since this is just the first. Other app-redesign efforts have been three steps forward, two back, three more forward, etc. throughout the beta period. Prepare for much grousing, much complaining and much speculation that Apple has lost its way for every pixel that's out of place.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
To get this thread back on the “Little Thing” track: on CarPlay now, if you ask Siri what the weather will be, a dialog pops up on the screen asking if you want current observations, an hourly forecast or a daily forecast.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
To get this thread back on the “Little Thing” track: on CarPlay now, if you ask Siri what the weather will be, a dialog pops up on the screen asking if you want current observations, an hourly forecast or a daily forecast.
I just tried this on my iPhone and, as it turns out, the options are coming from Carrot Weather, not the native weather app. But I still find it interesting that CarPlay is presenting Shortcuts dialog boxes on screen. So this is probably more a "Shortcuts/Carplay" little thing, than it is a "weather app" little thing.

Reactions: Cbarnett202

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
I have done some videos and screenshots over different functions and I’ll post them here.
It’s located on my blog and YouTube channel.
(The blog is new and is not for this it’s for some powershell and python code later one but I guess it can host this also)

Sound Recognition

Blog:

YouTube:

Text from camera function

blog:

YouTube:

Text from picture
this is cool, ready the blog post and watch the video.

blog:

YouTube:

Apple TV remote app built in

Blog:

YouTube:

Apple Music , Dolby Atmos and lossless

Blog:

YouTube:

Apples new Password manager
In the blogpost you can find pictures of it.

Blog:

YouTube:
Coming soon

Apple Health Trend

Blog:

YouTube:

Private relay and Hide my email (iCloud+ )

blog:

YouTube:
Coming soon

Notification scheduled summery

blog:

YouTube:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.