MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One small but useful new feature introduced in iOS 15 is the ability for customers to request refunds for in-app purchases directly within an app, rather than having to use the Report a Problem page on Apple's website.

iOS-15-app-refunds.jpg

Apple has introduced a new StoreKit API that allows developers to implement a "Request a Refund" option within their apps. Users can tap on this option, select a specific in-app purchase, identify the issue that prompted the refund request, and tap the Request Refund button. Once the request is submitted, customers will receive an email from Apple with an update on the status of their refund within 48 hours.

When requesting a refund within an app, customers still have the option to visit the Report a Problem page on Apple's website to check the status of claims.

iOS 15 is available now in beta for developers, and will be publicly released in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 15 Allows You to Request Refunds for In-App Purchases Directly Within Apps

xhruso00

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
It's clear that Apple will make this button mandatory. As a dev I have no problem, but they should also have the same rule for subscriptions and finally offer refunds for them. At the moment they are just making sure that more devs will abandon in-apps and go subscription only.

Comment

Yoshimura

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
Is this required? If not, can anyone of a reason why developers would want to add this option?
Personally, I prefer to offer a streamlined refund process than receive a bad review.

Anyway, it's probably like the API for requesting users review. It's was not mandatory initially but it was after.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015
The refund still goes through Apple. And not the App Developers. So basically instead of a Email it is now a button and a screen.

I still think Refund should be inside App Store and not the App. Making it inside the App implies they are asking the developers for refund, when the actual case they are asking Apple.

Comment

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I still think Refund should be inside App Store and not the App. Making it inside the App implies they are asking the developers for refund, when the actual case they are asking Apple.
That's an interesting thought I hadn't considered, but then to be consistent, all in-app purchases should then be done through the App Store, making it inconvenient.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

visualseed

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2020
That's an interesting thought I hadn't considered, but then to be consistent, all in-app purchases should then be done through the App Store, making it inconvenient.

The best way to do this would be to have in the app and also allow users to do it on the App Store from the app's page. That way they can request refunds from apps that they have uninstalled or are not working properly.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
The best way to do this would be to have in the app and also allow users to do it on the App Store from the app's page. That way they can request refunds from apps that they have uninstalled or are not working properly.
Yep. Apple is methodical, they do things in pieces and iterate through them in other areas later.

In this case, I think this is adding the API for the devs to add this inside their app so that they can avoid negative reviews if the customers is unhappy for any reason. You don't want customers to go to the app store for this because it is likely to be too easy for them to leave a bad review. If they can do it in-app first, then you may be able to keep the users using the app, just without the in-app purchase as well.

Comment

bjoswald

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Apple’s commitment to customer satisfaction, privacy and trust is why I’m a happy customer (unless they do something catastrophically stupid, and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.). ❤️

Reactions: cgs1xx and DeepIn2U
Comment

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I'm a developer and I nearly soiled myself when I read that headline and the first paragraph.
So I clicked on the link and watched the WWDC video on the App Store API changes.
Now my heart rate has returned to normal.

It looks like the updates will allow App publishers to do the customer support themselves.
User needs to dig out the Apple email receipt for the purchase, get their unique purchase id and send it to the app publisher with their request for support.
The publisher can then negotiate a solution which may, or may not, involve a refund.

The refund button is more of a request thing and I just don't see how that's going to work and I hope that it isn't mandatory because it'll be a nightmare if users can play the system with it.

Last years "refund notification" feature is mention at the end of this video. What wasn't clear last year was that this feature is only for subscriptions and I think this whole refund purchase in-app support initiative this year will also be primarily targeted at subscriptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple_Robert
Comment

swiftRabbit

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
The refund still goes through Apple. And not the App Developers. So basically instead of a Email it is now a button and a screen.

Apple don't want the bad publicity

Comment

groundedUX

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2018
seems like this approach will be a wonder to weed out bad actors, poorly implemented apps, and bad practices directly from the refund in app - I bet with a log of info that saves a lot of time on Apples end.

Think about it - many refunds equate to something bad right? It’s a check and balance introduction that offloads the “bad” decision onto the user - which is really where we want it right?

Plus, now there’s more time and energy for Apple to check apps better to begin with.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
”extra website in an open sore free frog” … Guess I’m missing something deep here.
The typo conspiracy to hide real meaning is real here. I cannot even recall what I originally was trying to convert but … considering the article, and quote that developers would want to jumó over this …

developers wouldn’t even do this on their own store fronts or app stores on iOS if that ever opened up nor even over the websites. Actually I don’t think any developer on the web has a button to initiate a refund for their software offered, nor does big corporations or development teams - heck does freeware with donations have a button to recall an accidental donation?!?? Not that I’ve seen or even heard of.

Comment

cgs1xx

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2018
London, UK
As long as the refund request goes to Apple and not the developper, this is a welcome change for a consumer, especially as there’s no way to trial a paid app/in-app purchase before buying it.

Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
It's a neat addition... but only for future apps..

To little, to late, for some of us.

As long as the refund request goes to Apple and not the developper, this is a welcome change for a consumer, especially as there’s no way to trial a paid app/in-app purchase before buying it.

The closest i found was apps that limit you and you pay to unlock... Similar to trial. Although, would be better noted before you download

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.