Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, you can enable anyone, even if they don't have an Apple device, to join a FaceTime call with you by creating a link to a FaceTime conversation that can be shared anywhere.

Using this new link facility, friends and family members who do not have an Apple account can log into a FaceTime call with you using a web browser opened on any non-Apple device, whether that's a Windows PC or an Android phone.

This effectively makes FaceTime a platform-agnostic video service, although you do need to be an iOS or Mac user to start the FaceTime call and send the link. Here's how it works in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15.

1. Launch the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Tap Create Link.
  3. Give your FaceTime Link an identifiable name by tapping Add Name at the top of the Actions menu that appears.
  4. Select a method of sharing your link from the Actions menu, e.g. over Messages or Mail.
create-facetime-link.jpg

Once you've sent the link and the recipient opens it, they'll be directed to a web page where they can enter their name to join the conversation. Once they've joined the call, they'll have the usual FaceTime options to mute their microphone, disable video, switch the camera view, and leave the call.

create-facetime-link-1.jpg

For more information on all the new FaceTime features in iOS 15, be sure to check out our upcoming dedicated guide.

Article Link: iOS 15: How to FaceTime Android Users

Last edited:
I agree! I don't think the browser link is going to be much of a success. Should have definitely focus on building an App where any android and iOS user can use.

Why not convert this link browser to a direct app like Facetime?

However... This is one step forward... Better than nothing.

Forward-thinking...

Last edited:

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
Apple still does not understand network effects properly. That's also why WhatsApp ate their lunch and why iMessage is pretty much irrelevant.
iMessage is very relevant I’m not sure what data set your looking at, perhaps the one that filters through your bias. What makes you think Apple wants to be the most utilised communication application provider in the world? Do you know how much responsibility and problems come along with having a communication platform used by billions of people worldwide? Apple has no need to chase that title against WhatsApp when it can simply focus on making iMessage a highly secure, respected, stable and pleasant experience for Apple users.

People here are very quick to point out what Apple has done wrong in their eyes and offer their expert solutions, without wondering if they even understand the vision and trajectory Apple is on as a company.

So much short sightedness as always

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Would have been so much simpler if they made an app for Android/Windows instead of this sharing a link crap.

Eventually it will become an app. Apple might be testing the water. Or simply too proud to open up a convenient way to join a facetime call for competitors.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Or more likely, just don't see the business case. Unless they're going the charge for the service on non Apple products, the only way it generates them any revenue is if it halos people on to future Apple purchases.
Yeah, I see this as only a way to make FaceTime more usable for friend groups that have a few Android users in them.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Or more likely, just don't see the business case. Unless they're going the charge for the service on non Apple products, the only way it generates them any revenue is if it halos people on to future Apple purchases.

Apple could probably bundle it as a part of Apple One service? I mean iCloud+ was launched as an added value for icloud subscribers. Also the long-awaited lossless/Atmos upgrade for Apple Music, which also coming to Android.

danielfgom

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2021
An island in the Med
As a former Apple fan and now ardent Android user, the best way to invite an Android user to a Facetime call is to: install Google Duo on your iPhone and call them using that.

Google Duo is cross platform and works fantastically. Honestly, Apple only did this because in the US most people use iPhone (it's American) and they're hoping to win over people's Android relatives.

Time will tell whether this works.

As for the rest of the world,.Google Duo, Zoom,.WhatsApp and other services already dominate and no one is going to move to iPhone just for Facetime.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Apple still does not understand network effects properly. That's also why WhatsApp ate their lunch and why iMessage is pretty much irrelevant.

It depends where in the world you live. I believe it’s very popular in the United States where iPhones have a large market share.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Five bucks says that when iOS 15 is released Apple won’t have planned ahead for enough server capacity, lots of people will rush to try out FaceTime on Android and have a terrible first experience because of overload.

Last edited:

cknlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
Singapore

Totally market dependent. NA is a big iMessage country whereas Whatsapp dominates in Europe and parts of Asia.

iGMX

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2016
As a former Apple fan and now ardent Android user, the best way to invite an Android user to a Facetime call is to: install Google Duo on your iPhone and call them using that.

Google Duo is cross platform and works fantastically. Honestly, Apple only did this because in the US most people use iPhone (it's American) and they're hoping to win over people's Android relatives.

As for the rest of the world,.Google Duo, Zoom,.WhatsApp and other services already dominate and no one is going to move to iPhone just for Facetime.
Nobody uses Duo… except you and your imaginary Android friends I guess.

Phaseangle

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
I agree! I don't think the browser link is going to be much of a success. Should have definitely focus on building an App where any android and iOS user can use.

Why not convert this link browser to a direct app like Facetime?

However... This is one step forward... Better than nothing.

Forward-thinking...
If this link a permanent link to the facetime user then it might be able to used in android address book.
If not Apple might allow others to call via a webpage

Phaseangle

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
I never used Facetime but I love Duo.

BTW, the nice thing about Android is that people are just using it and don't waste their time pestering people, who know that competition is the thing that drives progress.
Apple is competition to Android and yes Android would not have progressed much without Apples competition.

Reactions: alexandr

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

The whole point of this thread is focusing on the fact that people don't have to move to iPhone in order to use FaceTime with someone else who does have an iPhone.

No way I would use anything Google. They have shown too many times they can't be trusted. I am not going to be the product for Google.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68030
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I was kind of happy when I saw iOS15 was going to allow people with Android to use FaceTime. My daughter has an Android phone and this would work for us.

Then I saw the convoluted way of doing it through a web browser. WTF? And only the person with the Apple device can start a call?

I guess we'll continue to use WhatsApp which has worked perfectly for us and either one of us can initiate the call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.