Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps received several notable improvements in iOS 15, including new details in cities, an interactive globe, and enhanced driving directions. It also gained a feature that has long been available in rival map apps – the ability to set leaving and arrival times for driving directions.

arrive-by-maps.jpg

This is a feature that's long been available for Google Maps, and one that's really useful if you have a journey planned in the near future and you want to know how long it's going to take to get there or when you need to leave in order to arrive at a particular time.

Until now, there was no way to get estimated travel times in advance of a trip using the ‌Apple Maps‌ app. In previous versions of iOS, leaving and arrival time input was limited to directions for public transportation, but Apple has thankfully now expanded the option to driving, putting it on a more level playing field with Google Maps in the battle for users.

The following steps explain how to make use of the new leaving and arrival times on iPhones and iPads running iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 or later.
  1. In Apple Maps' search field, enter your destination and tap Search.
  2. Tap the Driving directions button.
  3. Tap Leaving Now.
    ios-15-leaving-time-apple-maps.jpg

Using the Leave at and Arrive by tabs, select a time and date.
    Tap Done.
    ios-15-leaving-arrival-maps-1.jpg
Apple Maps will show you several directions and how long it will take you to get to your destination based on predicted traffic for the time and date you selected.

Article Link: iOS 15: How to Set Leaving and Arrival Times for Driving Directions in Apple Maps

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

DiscoToast

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
The previous lack of this feature was the main reason I still use Google Maps. Hopefully their time estimation algorithms are just as accurate.

Can't wait for this!

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
That should be "Depart at" not "Leave at". Google Maps gets it right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.48.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.48.36 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The previous lack of this feature was the main reason I still use Google Maps. Hopefully their time estimation algorithms are just as accurate.

Can't wait for this!

Huh?

I’m still waiting for Apple Maps to tell me the arrival time of my destination when I choose my preferred route in transit. It’ll only tell me the time the route will take but it does NOT include the walking time at all.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I only use Google Maps as pretty much a yellow pages these days. I find Apple Maps has come a long way in route guidance, especially with transit directions. Also, find Apple Maps much nicer to look at.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I've been a Waze man for years and years, and Waze has had these features for as long as I can remember.

Perhaps it's time to give Maps a try, but I don't see the point yet.

Reactions: SurferPup

mymacrumorsname

Cancelled
Dec 20, 2019
Apple Maps is somehow not working correctly in roundabouts. It just take too long / delay is too big for updating your current position / rotation. I've not once missed the right exit in bigger roundabouts. Since then I am using Google Maps. Can't belive they can't get it right. Absolute basic function. Tried with different hardware on different occasions. Google Maps refreshes (it seem to me) at least twice that often the screen and your location. And here in Spain we have a lot of roundabouts. So Apple Maps is not usable for me :(. Sad I am forced to use Google. And a shame that this is by far not the only flaw.

videosoul

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
London, UK
I too like the feel of Apple Maps, and would ideally prefer to use them over Google Maps. I do keep both on my phone, for now.

But the sad reality is that Google Maps is still FAR FAR superior in a multitude of ways: including both features and accuracy of data.

I too often find myself using Apple Maps, but then having to switch to Google Maps to double check information or look for further clarity. Numerous times in the past few months I've travelled to places on Apple Maps to find they have closed (shops, petrols stations, etc). I always report these... but it's just annoying there are so many issues like this in the first place.

I know Google have been doing this for much longer... but one would think with the resources they have, Apple would have caught up a bit more by now.

I prefer Waze for driving Navigation, mostly because I find the ETAs very accurate, and I like the traffic/incident/hazard reporting data, and how easy it is to report closed roads on-the-fly. Reporting a cosed road in Apple Maps is convoluted: especially while driving.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Great feature.
If only Apple maps was updated enough to find a destination so I could program the time to leave!
Outside of the USA it seems like Apple Maps isn't as good. I hope it gets better, I love the interface.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The last Google app I still use. Can't wait for the switch, but Google Maps seems to always be ahead =(
Really depends of your area imo. Where I live Apple Maps gives much more consistent and easy to drive roads with better voice navigation vs Google maps preferring twists and turns down very narrow paths that are technically shorter.

Jeepguy01

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
I agree that Google maps is far, far superior to Apple maps. I used to use Apple maps all the time, trying to improve its use. All too often app ends up embarrassingly wrong! Recent events made me switch to Google maps permanently, avoiding lots of roadworks.
Apple Maps' design is better-looking than Google's, but the mistakes are not fixed fast enough. I've alerted Apple several times that my street is a dead end, and it's never been fixed.

Reactions: hagar

Frumpy708

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2021
What is with the endless barrage of iOS 15 articles? And they all seem like practical use tips, which is great, except it's not out yet.
It is out, you can download the beta and try it out. They had the directions on this site.

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
Apple Maps is somehow not working correctly in roundabouts. It just take too long / delay is too big for updating your current position / rotation. I've not once missed the right exit in bigger roundabouts. Since then I am using Google Maps. Can't belive they can't get it right. Absolute basic function. Tried with different hardware on different occasions. Google Maps refreshes (it seem to me) at least twice that often the screen and your location. And here in Spain we have a lot of roundabouts. So Apple Maps is not usable for me :(. Sad I am forced to use Google. And a shame that this is by far not the only flaw.
We don’t have many roundabouts here, but lately I’ve had Maps place me a block or two behind where I actually am on the map causing me to miss turns in residential areas. I’m still on 14.

AnotherOpinion

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Apple… how about "add stop" to add multiple destinations? Until they match and exceed Google Maps and Waze… there is really no benefit to use Apple Maps.

Reactions: videosoul

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Calendar on Mac has this feature. I get a notification when it’s time to leave. Very convenient.
But you have to exactly add the address so that maps recognises it, you have to click “time to leave”, then specify where you want to leave from, and then set the reminder. Too many steps. And Siri Suggestions is of no use to skip some steps.

Reactions: TouchedByAl

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I hope someone at Apple who can affect change in their map product reads this. I just got done a 3,300 mile family vacation from the Chicago area to New England and back and there are so many things really bad with Apple Maps.

The stupidest thing up front is when connected to CarPlay to activate buttons you need to highlight them blue...not green. It takes forever to get used to this reverse logic. We all know green means go but if a button is highlighted green it does not activate, it needs to be blue instead. When driving a car and needing things to be straight forward and simple, this major fail is so damn frustrating. If only this issues stopped there.

The routing Apple selects is very hit and miss. It can't easily reroute you through traffic jams and seems to have a very limited ability to select appropriate side streets to get around traffic issues. There were several times I had to make up my own alternative routes based on what I knew about the roads around me. Without that knowledge I would have wasted a lot of time stuck in traffic.

Then, there is no way to force the map to keep North facing up. When I was in unfamiliar areas trying to get around bad traffic, what I needed most of all is to know if I was heading east or west. I did finally turn on the compass feature so at least I could see what way I was heading. But there is a reason maps are mostly printed with North facing up. If you don't want Apple maps to select the route, but you want to make sure you're heading in the right direction, Apple makes this far harder than it needs to be.

Directions not always clear. Which lane should I be in? Telling me to turn when it is really too late to do that? My guess is Apple makes stupid mistakes about 10% of the time. Being 90% right might sound good, but not if it is your brain surgeon. On an average segment of my trip, there was almost always at least one, and sometime two times where the map was not clear, announce a turn too late, or provided mislabeling. Apple Maps is better than it was a few years ago, but these things still happen more than they should.

I wish Apple would stop adding new features for a while and work on the basic usablity and accuracy of their map app.

Reactions: videosoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.