Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 16.1 was released to the public this week with support for Live Activities in third-party apps. However, Live Activities integration for select sports games via Apple's built-in TV app appears to have been pushed back to iOS 16.2.

iOS-16-Live-Activities-Sports-MLB.jpeg

Midway through the iOS 16.1 beta testing period, Live Activities integration in the TV app was disabled, but it has been reenabled in the first beta of iOS 16.2 seeded to developers this week. iOS 16.2 will likely be released to the public around December, so the sports feature should finally be available to all users later this year, as Apple promised.

The feature allows iPhone users to view live sports scores at a glance on the Lock Screen, and in the Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro models.

During a Premier League match, for example, the Dynamic Island shows a live-updating scoreboard with the number of goals scored by each club. When long pressed, the Dynamic Island expands to show the time elapsed and play-by-play action. When an iPhone 14 Pro is locked, and on all other iPhone models, the score is shown on the Lock Screen.

To test the feature with an iPhone on the iOS 16.2 beta, open the TV app and tap on the "Follow" button for a supported game. Apple says the feature is available for MLB games for users in the U.S., Canada, Australia, U.K., Brazil, Mexico, Japan, and South Korea, in addition to NBA and Premier League games for users in the U.S. and Canada only. The feature will likely be expanded to other sports leagues in the future.

In the meantime, some sports apps are offering Live Activities on iOS 16.1, such as Sports Alerts.

(Thanks, Mike Quinn and Youssef Salem!)

Article Link: iOS 16.2 Beta Reintroduces Live Sports Scores on iPhone's Lock Screen

Last edited:

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I was disappointed in this. So far the dynamic lock screen and island were the 2 things i was the most excited for and have been let down the most. The Island is reminding me of the TouchBar more and more.... Cool concept on paper, but wont be utilized.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I was disappointed in this. So far the dynamic lock screen and island were the 2 things i was the most excited for and have been let down the most. The Island is reminding me of the TouchBar more and more.... Cool concept on paper, but wont be utilized.
Developers haven’t had that long to update their apps to use the dynamic island so it’s a bit fast to give up on it.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I thought this was based on what Siri already does for many sports. When my local handegg team has a game on, it shows up in Siri on my Watch. I don't know why they're basing this on the TV app. I guess it's to prop up all the broadcasting rights they're buying.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

Meanwhile Siri and autocorrect are as bad as they were ten years ago. If it doesn't show off well in a 30 second ad during a football game, Apple doesn't want to work on it.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I'm missing something...

The point of watching sports is that it is entertainment. You are watching athletes competing...not just watching a scoreboard change its digits. And not knowing how the game ends (who wins) is part of the draw.

Yet we now have generations of people just watching scores? Where does this add value? So they can share/spoil the game for those of us who DVR the games and watch them on our own time (without commercials and idiotic commentary, and when our family time allows us...because, you know...priorities).

Folks - I really love watching football. But watching a game via DVR is a joy akin to having podcasts or audiobooks on my iPhone. It allows me to have more entertainment while still living a life.

Live scores ruin this.

chako

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
In the mean time, as mentioned at the end of the article, use the Sports Alerts app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sports-alerts/id432450349). It works great right now. The Live Score feature is activated on a per-game basis. Just find a game that will start within the next 6 hours or currently in progress, of course. Hold your finger on the game entry or click the 3 dots and choose "Start Live Activity".

Reactions: trevor3431 and ZS88

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
I'm missing something...

The point of watching sports is that it is entertainment. You are watching athletes competing...not just watching a scoreboard change its digits. And not knowing how the game ends (who wins) is part of the draw.

Yet we now have generations of people just watching scores? Where does this add value? So they can share/spoil the game for those of us who DVR the games and watch them on our own time (without commercials and idiotic commentary, and when our family time allows us...because, you know...priorities).

Folks - I really love watching football. But watching a game via DVR is a joy akin to having podcasts or audiobooks on my iPhone. It allows me to have more entertainment while still living a life.

Live scores ruin this.
There are plenty of instances where I’d like to follow a game without having the time to actually watch it. Sure, I’ll watch all/most of the games of my favorite team, but I also like to keep tabs on rivals. We have season tickets and there are usually several other games going on while we’re at the game that I’d like to follow.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
In the mean time, as mentioned at the end of the article, use the Sports Alerts app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sports-alerts/id432450349). It works great right now. The Live Score feature is activated on a per-game basis. Just find a game that will start within the next 6 hours or currently in progress, of course. Hold your finger on the game entry or click the 3 dots and choose "Start Live Activity".
Sports Alerts works really well for the NFL, but I’m really hoping that they add college football and college basketball soon.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
There are plenty of instances where I’d like to follow a game without having the time to actually watch it. Sure, I’ll watch all/most of the games of my favorite team, but I also like to keep tabs on rivals. We have season tickets and there are usually several other games going on while we’re at the game that I’d like to follow.
Agreed - I just don't want my iPhone to put it front and center. I have no problem going to nfl.com for the rare instance I find value in knowing a score RIGHT NOW (usually when there are playoff implications). But the last thing I want is for Apple to know my favorite team and start telling me what's happening live...when the joy of watching sports is not knowing the outcome and watching athletes perform.

It reminds me of the Bloomberg stations and people day-trading stocks. If that's your business, I get it. But I certainly wouldn't want my iPhone to tell me every time a stock goes up/down. If I want that information, I know where to find it...but only when I want it.

That said -- I'm 50. I want my iPhone to serve me, which means minimal distractions (and a high bar for what deserves a vibration). My son puts his phone on the couch and the damn thing vibrates every 20 seconds. Holy s**t...no wonder we have an anxiety crisis.

Cue old man jokes in three...two...one...

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I'm missing something...

Live scores ruin this.

The sports I follow have 82+ game seasons. I want to keep up on the games, but I can't watch even half of those. This lets me passively keep an eye on games I can't watch without constantly dipping into apps, etc.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I love the 2020 and onwards Apple Trend:

1. Announce Product
2. Show off New Feature
3. Release OS and Product without feature and say its coming later
4. Release OS update with feature, but not that part they showed off.
5. Count the .1 releases until it shows up.
6. Repeat

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I love the 2020 and onwards Apple Trend:

1. Announce Product
2. Show off New Feature
3. Release OS and Product without feature and say its coming later
4. Release OS update with feature, but not that part they showed off.
5. Count the .1 releases until it shows up.
6. Repeat
When they announce the new OS at WWDC, it has ALWAYS been a roadmap for the entire year. It was never designed to be "All of these things in .0". As long as the announced features show up before 17, they are "on time" in reality.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
When they announce the new OS at WWDC, it has ALWAYS been a roadmap for the entire year. It was never designed to be "All of these things in .0". As long as the announced features show up before 17, they are "on time" in reality.
Well its become acceptable for people to say its a roadmap now, I see. It wasn't a roadmap in the mid 2000s. Apple used to release OS features and not even wait until a new OS. When you're the underdog and trying to steal Microsoft marketshare there are consistent releases with the features. When you're on top, it becomes a roadmap. It is what it is, just pointing out the changes.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
I'm missing something...

Live scores ruin this.
Lmao what in tarnation? You're obviously not a sports fan. I'd say 90% of the time its to keep tabs on other teams to know where your team is in the standings, and for people to play fantasy sports.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I'm missing something...

Live scores ruin this.

Agreed - I just don't want my iPhone to put it front and center. I have no problem going to nfl.com for the rare instance I find value in knowing a score RIGHT NOW (usually when there are playoff implications). But the last thing I want is for Apple to know my favorite team and start telling me what's happening live...when the joy of watching sports is not knowing the outcome and watching athletes perform.

It reminds me of the Bloomberg stations and people day-trading stocks. If that's your business, I get it. But I certainly wouldn't want my iPhone to tell me every time a stock goes up/down. If I want that information, I know where to find it...but only when I want it.

That said -- I'm 50. I want my iPhone to serve me, which means minimal distractions (and a high bar for what deserves a vibration). My son puts his phone on the couch and the damn thing vibrates every 20 seconds. Holy s**t...no wonder we have an anxiety crisis.

Cue old man jokes in three...two...one...
So don't turn the feature on or use it. Apple isn't going to force live scores on you.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm missing something...

Live scores ruin this.
For instance, we have college football season tickets to my alma mater. There are often many other games going on at the same time that I’m interested in. With Live Activities, I can easily look down at the Lock Screen or Dynamic Island and see the score of another game. I don’t like watching sports via DVR, so if my teams are playing and I’m away from home, I’ll use this to keep up with the score.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Lmao what in tarnation? You're obviously not a sports fan. I'd say 90% of the time its to keep tabs on other teams to know where your team is in the standings, and for people to play fantasy sports.
You and I have different definitions of "sports fan". Just as we clearly place different value on 'live' content.

I'm happy that Apple is providing a feature that you value. I'm not happy that Apple TV turned on its sports notification by default (the other night I was interrupted during a show and notified of a baseball games' progress without ever turning on such a feature)...and I hope it doesn't do the same on my phone.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
For instance, we have college football season tickets to my alma mater. There are often many other games going on at the same time that I’m interested in. With Live Activities, I can easily look down at the Lock Screen or Dynamic Island and see the score of another game. I don’t like watching sports via DVR, so if my teams are playing and I’m away from home, I’ll use this to keep up with the score.
To me, watching sports via DVR is such a joy, I now prefer it over live. Starting a game an hour late and catching up to live TV late in the 4th quarter is one of life's most valuable hacks...to me. It saves me at least an entire day per year (probably two).

I understand it isn't for everyone. But I've been doing it since my original Tivo (btw...whatever happened to them?). And as long as I don't know the score, I can start a game many hours later and still get the same level of enjoyment -- it took a little while to get used to, but the benefits far outweigh the detriments.

• Love
Reactions: CarAnalogy

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I thought I was doing something wrong when I couldn't find this feature in iOS 16.1. Glad it's coming back in 16.2. While Sports Alerts did a great job with the Live Activities implementation, the overall UI for that app is pretty lackluster in comparison.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I'm missing something...

Live scores ruin this.
Why are you gatekeeping sport spectating? Yes, obviously we all know that watching the game live is the best experience you can have. That doesn't mean we can pause our lives all the time to do so. And in addition to that, if you look at NBA games today for example, a good amount of them overlap one another. Maybe I'm watching 76ers v. raptors but I also want to keep an eye on the score for the spurs game that starts 30 minutes later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.