Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 17.2.1, Apple today released iOS 16.7.4 and iPadOS 16.7.4 updates that fix an issue with built-in apps. In some cases, if a user deleted a built-in Apple app on a device running iOS or iPadOS 16.7.3 or earlier, the app would not be able to be reinstalled.

General-iOS-16-Feature-Yellow.jpg

From Apple's release notes for the update:
This update fixes an issue where built-in Apple apps that may have been deleted may not reinstall.
While we haven't heard many complaints about the issue, that is likely because the majority of users have transitioned over to iOS 17. For those who are having a problem with reinstalling a deleted app in iOS 16 or iPadOS 16, the new update will address the problem.

Apple's iOS 17.2.1 update also included bug fixes, but Apple did not provide specific details.

Article Link: iOS 16.7.4 Update Fixes Issue That Prevented Built-In Apps From Being Reinstalled

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The fact that you couldn’t install a native app once you delete it for more than one year that iOS 16 has been around, and it only got fixed almost in 2024 is, in my humble opinion, something they should think about on Apple Park.

Also, this and the battery drain problem when you deleted a native iOS app, are a couple of reasons why I’ve never deleted one, hiding them on a folder instead.

JonYo

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
This is the exact issue I'm having right now with an iPhone 8 Plus that I restored from an iPhone 6s Plus, and afterwards the iPhone 8's native apps all went black and won't run/install, while 3rd party apps are all ok. I was at my wits end after lots of dead end googling. Installing 16.7.4 now, we'll see how it goes.

JonYo

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
This is the exact issue I'm having right now with an iPhone 8 Plus that I restored from an iPhone 6s Plus, and afterwards the iPhone 8's native apps all went black and won't run/install, while 3rd party apps are all ok. I was at my wits end after lots of dead end googling. Installing 16.7.4 now, we'll see how it goes.
Nice, all issues appear resolved after the firmware update completed.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
The sorry state apple software is in.

IMO there should be a dedicated team in software development required by contract to only use the oldest supported and recently unsupported devices.

Reactions: Glacier1

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The fact that you couldn’t install a native app once you delete it for more than one year that iOS 16 has been around, and it only got fixed almost in 2024 is, in my humble opinion, something they should think about on Apple Park.

Also, this and the battery drain problem when you deleted a native iOS app, are a couple of reasons why I’ve never deleted one, hiding them on a folder instead.
No. It’s more like they just quietly go this direction to nudge people to NOT delete native apps, by creating tons of side effects. And they only decide to fix it today, one year later.

zany.ninja

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
I’m taking credit for this one. Just yesterday I was unable to install the default apps on my iPad (5th gen) after a device reset. Phoned Apple support, they did a screen share of my device, spent 10 minutes trying everything, then said the problem is from their end and a fix would be issued soon - this year they assured me. So I wake up this morning and wow! Never thought it would be this soon! I’m flipping impressed Apple!…

And say what you want about this being a long-standing problem, I’m still going to take credit for this getting fixed :cool:

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014

Also, this and the battery drain problem when you deleted a native iOS app, are a couple of reasons why I’ve never deleted one, hiding them on a folder understanding is that the problem with native apps started with iOS 16.7.3 not before that. Am I wrong?

I thought the problem with reinstalling native apps started with iOS 16.7.3 and not before that. Am I wrong?

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
cant upgrade to it if ios 17 is available..
I'm seeing this too. My confidence in Apple's software QC this past decade is such that I never upgrade to a given OS until the version after it is released. My iPhone 13 mini running iOS 16 is only offering a software update to iOS 17 :-(. How is it that people are reporting successfully upgrading to iOS 16.7.4?

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Update limited to iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad 5th generation, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, and iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation.
Thanks - I didn't see the update for my iPhone 13 mini but I do see it on my old 12.9" iPad Pro

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
cant upgrade to it if ios 17 is available..
Was wondering about this, thanks for posting. Well there's the end of 16 for alot of us. I always like to let the new versions cook in the wild a bit (and getting bug fixes) before upgrading. Was hoping I could have stayed on 16 for this update, oh well. Time for 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.