Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bboruah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2022
I am noticing screen flickering issue on my new iPhone 13 whenever brightness is set to low(40-50%). This happens while typing or while loading any app. iOS 16.0.3 did not fix that.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
That might be the backlight flickering, PWM is used and there are some reports that later purchased models now have display panels that flicker at a lower frequency, thus making it more noticeable. It is probably that, because it usually intensifies at a lower brightness. Essentially all current 13 and 14 series iPhones have a chance to have this issue. You might be able to fix it by returning the phone and buying it again, especially if it is older stock. But you might not be able to get a non-flickering one.

Depending on how sensitive you are to PWM flickering, you might have to read reviews before purchasing something and making sure the PWM frequency is as high as possible so you can't notice it. Sensitive people can notice it with some devices even at 100% brightness.

If possible, I'd bring it into an Apple Store within the 2 week return time and ask for a replacement on the spot, set it up right then and there, and if it immediately shows the same issue you can then do a return in the store as well. Personally I never noticed such a flickering even on the worst of displays, so I have no idea how bad it is, but many people report this issue especially with iPhones, so Apple store employees should be aware of it.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
That thread doesn't have much information, it's just people documenting their experience getting headaches with their devices. Since some models can come with different display panels, like some from the iPhone 13 series, the information doesn't really help without knowing the PWM frequency values at different brightness levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.