Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 16 makes it easier for users to track orders and parcels with a built-in tracker within the Wallet app for Apple Pay transactions.

ios-16-wallet-order-tracking.jpg

Previously, users would need to download a third-party app from the App Store to track their parcels. With iOS 16, Apple is building a tracker directly within the Wallet app for Apple Pay transactions. The new integration with Wallet will let merchants and couriers provide users with precise tracking information and notification.

Apple says Apple Wallet order tracking will be available from millions of merchants through e-commerce platforms, starting with Shopify and expanding over time.

Article Link: iOS 16 Makes It Easier to Track Packages With Built-In Order Tracking for Apple Pay Purchases

Last edited:

Terriethefoxbot🦊🤖

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2022
Well that's a great enhancement! Very excited about the AR/VR techonolgies too! Especially with the personalizable lock screen on ios 16, just amazing!

Last edited:

ShadowJonathan

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2022
Yeah, while I think this is neat for stuff thats bought through apple pay, if i cant put in my own packages, then this is useless.

The only thing it'll do is fracture the screen(s) i have to look at, currently i only look at parcel for a quick glance of all my packages, if i have to look between wallet and parcel, then i'll pick parcel, no matter how useful apple positions wallet for this. Unless wallet could take all features from parcel (including their extensive carrier integrations and recognitions), i'll keep using parcel.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Yeah, while I think this is neat for stuff thats bought through apple pay, if i cant put in my own packages, then this is useless.

The only thing it'll do is fracture the screen(s) i have to look at, currently i only look at parcel for a quick glance of all my packages, if i have to look between wallet and parcel, then i'll pick parcel, no matter how useful apple positions wallet for this. Unless wallet could take all features from parcel (including their extensive carrier integrations and recognitions), i'll keep using parcel.
They won’t open it up. It’ll be exclusive to Apple Pay transactions.

• Sad
Reactions: DaneLA

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
not bad - however currently all wallet history gets lost after some time.
They need to rethink this
It just shows recent transactions and the rest can be viewed in your banking app. Not sure I want it keeping a record of all my transaction over a longer period of time and I’m sure Apple designed it in such a way.

Reactions: strongy

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Shouldn’t functionally depend on couriers providing access to this information? Many, like FedEx, no longer are (they want you to use their website) which is why an app like Deliveries is becoming crippled. I wonder if this shift is specific to that app.

Reactions: zapmymac and Galley

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
I really hope that you're able to manually add tracking for items that aren't purchased with Apple Pay.

Having a single dashboard for package tracking would be fantastic. If it's limited to Apple Pay items only then I'd still need to look at various apps which means I'd probably never use this feature.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Cool feature ! Are lock screen complications also available ?

paulovsouza

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2012
I was really hoping when they said you could track your purchase, that you could get receipts straight to your phone. I just want when I pay with Apple Pay, to get my receipt on my phone instead of a print out.

Reactions: Greenmaco

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Ah well, I've had a great run with Deliveries for quite a few years, but FedEx has now stopped working, and you have to jump through weird hoops to track Amazon packages. So maybe its time has passed. As long as there's a way to track everything in one place, I'm good.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Cool, but I know I won’t use it unless I can use it on my iPad/Mac. That’s where I do almost all of my online shopping and package tracking currently.
The Mac truly needs a Wallet app. I guess I could see the reasoning for excluding it before TouchID/Secure Enclave -- but now that they have good biometrics I can't see a good reason not to have Wallet on Macs.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
It just shows recent transactions and the rest can be viewed in your banking app. Not sure I want it keeping a record of all my transaction over a longer period of time and I’m sure Apple designed it in such a way.
Well with Apple you get more information, like the exact time and the GPS position of the deal.
This is really helpful to identify unclear transactions.

Show me a banking app that can do this and I am all in ...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Betcha it won’t work with FedEx because none of the package tracking apps work with FedEx anymore.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
The Mac truly needs a Wallet app. I guess I could see the reasoning for excluding it before TouchID/Secure Enclave -- but now that they have good biometrics I can't see a good reason not to have Wallet on Macs.

Totally agree, and same with the iPad. It would be so much nicer to see all that data on the larger screens, especially when they add more features to it every year. Plus, it‘s our data - I wish they would let us view it on our own (Apple) devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.