Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max users can select a new "Translate" option for the Action Button with the new iOS 17.2 beta. Apple promised that a Translate option was coming for the Action Button, but said that it would not be available right when the new iPhones launched in September.

ios-17-translate.jpg

When the Action Button is set as Translate, pressing to hold causes the iPhone to pop up a Translate window that listens for spoken text. It is able to translate from one set language to another, using the languages that you have previously set up in the Translate app.

The languages you translate between can be changed by selecting different languages in the Translate app. The Translate app supports Chinese, English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.

To choose the Translate option for the Action Button, open up the Settings app, scroll down to Action Button, and then swipe through until you get to the Translate function.

Article Link: iOS 17.2 Beta Adds Translate Option for Action Button

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Great now I need Sweden language support, please Apple :)

4Apples

macrumors member
May 21, 2013

iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max users can select a new "Translate" option for the Action Button with the new iOS 17.2 beta. Apple promised that a Translate option was coming for the Action Button, but said that it would not be available right when the new iPhones launched in September.

ios-17-translate.jpg

When the Action Button is set as Translate, pressing to hold causes the iPhone to pop up a Translate window that listens for spoken text. It is able to translate from one set language to another, using the languages that you have previously set up in the Translate app.

The languages you translate between can be changed by selecting different languages in the Translate app. The Translate app supports Chinese, English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.

To choose the Translate option for the Action Button, open up the Settings app, scroll down to Action Button, and then swipe through until you get to the Translate function.

Article Link: iOS 17.2 Beta Adds Translate Option for Action Button
Apple needs to do more with the action button, like a different option with a double tap. Perhaps that’s in the works?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple needs to do more with the action button, like a different option with a double tap. Perhaps that’s in the works?
It’s so ridiculous that this is something that would be “in the works” for a simple button that was in development for a year or so. And yes, having a secondary function would be so much more useful. What a waste of a button, otherwise.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
It’s so ridiculous that this is something that would be “in the works” for a simple button that was in development for a year or so. And yes, having a secondary function would be so much more useful. What a waste of a button, otherwise.
Sometimes you get so much tunnel vision on a concept that you don’t realize it was a bad idea until it gets out into the world. It seems clear to me that they prioritized trying to have it never execute accidentally, but the reality is that it’s almost never that deep. Unless you bind it to unlock and start your car, I guess…

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
So close to a Universal Translator!! Once AI is matured and integrated, we’ll be there. No more having to choose a language, it’ll auto-detect. Also, I’m sure it will be able to translate jargon, idioms, slang, etc. Very exciting!!

eta: Just did a cursory Google search. Looks like there are 1 or 2 already out there doing their thing. But what’s to come is really exciting!

Reactions: Sandstorm

khs

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
I dont see the "translation" option in the Action Button Settings. Is there something else to be turned on?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Give me 2-3 options to use the button an I'm game. double/triple click etc.

This appears to be the glaring omission to me as well. The button should be capable of at least three configurations. Press, long press and double press.

Example:

Press = mute

Long press = translate

Double press = flashlight

And beyond that the button could also have context awareness and have another layer of functionality depending on, again for example, the phone’s lock state or the app in use at the time.

But that’s more complex than Apple typically goes for.

As far as translation goes, this does seem like a worthy use for the button.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This appears to be the glaring omission to me as well. The button should be capable of at least three configurations. Press, long press and double press.

Example:

Press = mute

Long press = translate

And beyond that the button could also have context awareness and have another layer of functionality depending on, again for example, the phone’s lock state or the app in use at the time.

But that’s more complex than Apple typically goes for.

As far as translation goes, this does seem like a worthy use for the button.
Yep. Until they see fit to enable other press options as you say, mine is going stay mapped to silent/ringer since I need quick access to that. So, for now it's just a version of the mono-tasking mute switch.

Seems like a real wasted opportunity, especially considering you can already map the power button switch on the right to triple-click for accessibility shortcuts. So, the precedent is set, and how difficult could it really be for them to expand on the use of the Action Button they made such a big deal about.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Example:

Press = mute

Long press = translate

Press needs to be long press to prevent accidental trigger.

But surely, the Action button should be able to support click-then-hold and double-clicks-then-hold.

Alternatively, different Action button trigger for different focus mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.