Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Overcome communication barriers with the new custom Translation option for the iPhone's Action button in iOS 17.2. Keep reading to learn how to use it.

ios-17-translate.jpg

If you have an iPhone with an Action button, such as the iPhone 15 Pro, Apple's iOS 17.2 software update brings a new translation option for the button that allows you to translate live conversations into multiple languages.

According to Apple, the translation is not just accurate but also context-aware, ensuring that nuances and colloquialisms are captured effectively. The feature should be a boon for travelers, students, and anyone learning a language.
Before you use the Translate function, it's important to choose which language you want to translate. You can do this via Apple's built-in Translate app. On the app's main screen, use the chevrons next to the languages to make your selection.
translate-choose-language.jpg

Assign Translate to Action Button

Once you have chosen your languages, you are ready to select the Translate option for the Action button.
  1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap Action Button.
  3. Swipe to the Translate option to enable it.
action-button-translate-setting.jpg

Using the Translate Function

To Translate your speech to your chosen language, simply press and hold the Action button on your iPhone and begin speaking. Keep holding down the button for as long as you want to capture speech.

iPhone-15-Pro-Action-Button-Translate.jpg

Your iPhone will transcribe what you said and display it in the Dynamic Island, and it will also provide a translation in the chosen language just beneath the transcription. Your iPhone will automatically read aloud the translation, and you can replay it by pressing the play button to the right of it.

Article Link: iOS 17.2: How to Translate Speech With iPhone's Action Button

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
In the future, only very dedicated people will see the need to learn a foreign language. The BabelFish is about to become real!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
In the future, only very dedicated people will see the need to learn a foreign language. The BabelFish is about to become real!

Not until we have real time translation chips embedded into our brains.. Do you really want to be shoving smartphones into the faces of a person you're trying to have a conversation with? I don't.

Reactions: dustin_

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It is strange Translation doesn’t have a setting to automatically detect which language it’s hearing. Ideally I would like to just press the button and it transcribes the language. 🥳

Reactions: dustin_

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
This is woefully inadequate. As an expat and a frequent traveller, I was really looking forward to it. However:
  1. It only translates one way and does not listen for a reply.
  2. You cannot even press it again to reverse the translation direction. You have to enter the app.
  3. About 1/3 of the time it simply fails to work (it "listens" but does not respond). That is not due to the internet because I have the languages downloaded as well.
  4. The autoplay of the translation to sound never works the first time. After it "plays" it automatically, you then have to press repeat play manually, and only then you can hear it.
  5. There is no locked screen override, so if you press it on a locked screen it turns itself off after a few seconds, so you have to unlock the screen before use which is ridiculous.
  6. If you want to speak again after the first translation you have to enter the app or long press it off and then long press it back on again.
I am astounded this is the best they can do... If you devote an actual button to it, it should have more functionality and simply work better. I cannot believe whoever was responsible for this thinks it is good enough. Was it actually tested by people who have experience of needing/using translation aids in real life rather than a quick test be someone clueless in Cupertino? If they could make it work properly it would be great and an example of a really good use of the button. If you are in a stressful situation with live conversation, you don't want to be finding and opening the app. You want to be "on it" immediately. Doing it all from one button would be superb. Come on Apple - sort it out please!

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020

Overcome communication barriers with the new custom Translation option for the iPhone's Action button in iOS 17.2. Keep reading to learn how to use it.

ios-17-translate.jpg

If you have an iPhone with an Action button, such as the iPhone 15 Pro, Apple's iOS 17.2 software update brings a new translation option for the button that allows you to translate live conversations into multiple languages.

According to Apple, the translation is not just accurate but also context-aware, ensuring that nuances and colloquialisms are captured effectively. The feature should be a boon for travelers, students, and anyone learning a language.
Before you use the Translate function, it's important to choose which language you want to translate. You can do this via Apple's built-in Translate app. On the app's main screen, use the chevrons next to the languages to make your selection.
translate-choose-language.jpg

Assign Translate to Action Button

Once you have chosen your languages, you are ready to select the Translate option for the Action button.
  1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap Action Button.
  3. Swipe to the Translate option to enable it.
action-button-translate-setting.jpg

Using the Translate Function

To Translate your speech to your chosen language, simply press and hold the Action button on your iPhone and begin speaking. Keep holding down the button for as long as you want to capture speech.

iPhone-15-Pro-Action-Button-Translate.jpg

Your iPhone will transcribe what you said and display it in the Dynamic Island, and it will also provide a translation in the chosen language just beneath the transcription. Your iPhone will automatically read aloud the translation, and you can replay it by pressing the play button to the right of it.

Article Link: iOS 17.2: How to Translate Speech With iPhone's Action Button
Language teachers examining the accuracy claim will come to a different conclusion than language learners …

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I have been teaching languages for over 30 years, witnessed the arrival and evolution of digital tech for language learning, built a Mac language lab in the 90‘s. The experience tells me that in the future, only very close-minded people will see the need to learn a foreign language.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Will it listen and translate a reply?

I don't think so and this is why I don't understand why this is much better than just making a Shortcut straight to your chosen language. You need the dialog up anyway if you're going to actually use this to speak to someone you couldn't otherwise.

I suppose you could use this while the phone is locked and that would be nice. Still need access to the other person's translated reply though. And unless you hold it away from you the whole time Face ID is just going to instantly unlock it anyway.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good use for the action button. Would like to see more languages to be supported by the translate app.

I see it being beneficial for people like myself wanting to learn German and needing some AI assistance quickly with the more complex words and correct sentence structure. Once I listen to a translation a few times then I can learn correctly how to speak more naturally to a native German. I would like speed control as Anglo Saxons speak and consequently learn at a slower rate than Europeans of a non English background. My Personal Voice would be a fantastic intergration for telephone voice and FaceTime conversations to aid in my linguistic shortfalls. Thank you  - I have been looking forward to this new translate option for the Action Button.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
This is woefully inadequate. As an expat and a frequent traveller, I was really looking forward to it. However:
  1. It only translates one way and does not listen for a reply.
  2. You cannot even press it again to reverse the translation direction. You have to enter the app.
  3. About 1/3 of the time it simply fails to work (it "listens" but does not respond). That is not due to the internet because I have the languages downloaded as well.
  4. The autoplay of the translation to sound never works the first time. After it "plays" it automatically, you then have to press repeat play manually, and only then you can hear it.
  5. There is no locked screen override, so if you press it on a locked screen it turns itself off after a few seconds, so you have to unlock the screen before use which is ridiculous.
  6. If you want to speak again after the first translation you have to enter the app or long press it off and then long press it back on again.
I am astounded this is the best they can do... If you devote an actual button to it, it should have more functionality and simply work better. I cannot believe whoever was responsible for this thinks it is good enough. Was it actually tested by people who have experience of needing/using translation aids in real life rather than a quick test be someone clueless in Cupertino? If they could make it work properly it would be great and an example of a really good use of the button. If you are in a stressful situation with live conversation, you don't want to be finding and opening the app. You want to be "on it" immediately. Doing it all from one button would be superb. Come on Apple - sort it out please!
Wow. Apple translate was poor in comparison to Google translate when I tried that, but recent updates have made Google translator on iOS more of a pain to use too...

Reactions: CausticSoda

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Not until we have real time translation chips embedded into our brains.. Do you really want to be shoving smartphones into the faces of a person you're trying to have a conversation with? I don't.

Me: Herr Hitler, is it true that you only have one ball?

iPhone: Herr Hitler, stimmt es, dass du nur einen Ball hast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.