Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting with iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma, you can make hand gestures during video calls in the FaceTime app and other video conferencing apps to fill the screen with 3D effects. For example, you can hold two thumbs up to show fireworks on the screen, or make two peace signs with your hands to show confetti.

ios-17-facetime-effects.jpg

Unfortunately, many users are unaware that this new feature is turned on by default, leading to some awkward and embarrassing moments during important video calls, such as online therapy sessions and business meetings.

Fortunately, Apple has come up with a solution.

Alongside iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4, Apple is releasing a new API that allows video conferencing apps to turn off the gesture-based reactions by default in their apps, according to information obtained by MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris. We have not yet confirmed if Apple has also made the API available for macOS 14.4.

iOS 17.4, iPadOS 17.4, and macOS 14.4 are currently in beta, and the software updates are expected to be released in March.

Users can already easily turn off the feature on their own end on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Article Link: iOS 17.4 Allows Video Calling Apps to Turn Off Hand Gesture Reactions to Prevent Awkward Moments

Last edited:

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Does this mean that they are completely blocked if the app does this? Or it turns off the system toggle but it can be manually turned back on by the user?

Reactions: AppleFan85!

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
This is proof that the feature is half baked because if it weren’t, it wouldn’t need such an option

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

therunningman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
My father recently passed, and I have been unable to travel. I did a facetime call with the funeral home, and I noticed a "thumbs up" emoji appear on the right side of the screen toward the end of the call. I'm wondering if I (or the funeral rep) accidentally triggered it? I was wondering what caused it.

In any case, it wasn't all that bad.

• Sad
Reactions: alexandr

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Apple has a pattern of introducing new features touting them as improvements, only to have to introduce new toggles to turn off those new features, and touting those toggles as improvements.
Well, I mean... a mute switch on the phone is a very welcomed feature, but not because ringtones are bad, it's just there are times when you prefer them not to blast.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Shabby Product discipline. Any nonessential new feature should be released with an on/off switch and it should be OFF by default. Who’s in charge over there?

Reactions: thays133

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Well, I mean... a mute switch on the phone is a very welcomed feature, but not because ringtones are bad, it's just there are times when you prefer them not to blast.
Yes, but the analogy stands only if the phone has no ringing to begin with, then they introduce ringing to it without the option to turn it off -- the phone rings all the time -- touting it as an improvement, and then later after complaints they introduce an option to turn it off to make it like it was to begin with -- fixing a problem that they created -- and touting that as an improvement. They should just make the ringing optional at launch.

Another example is memoji stickers in the emoji panel. A more recent example is inline predictive text.

Last edited:

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Who decides the usability of apple apps? This feature is not obvious to me. Why not use checkmarks instead of light/dark for the options selection? Also if you turn off features the preferences appear as a small camera, which in the control center, initially it didn’t occur too me to select.

Reactions: bankshot

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yes, but the analogy stands only if the phone has no ringing to begin with, then they introduce ringing to it without the option to turn it off -- the phone rings all the time -- touting it as an improvement, and then later after complaints they introduce an option to turn it off to make it like it was to begin with -- fixing a problem that they created -- and touting that as an improvement. They should just make the ringing optional at launch.

Another example is memoji stickers in the emoji panel. A more recent example is inline predictive text.
Not to disagree with your last statement, phones didn't always have a way of silencing the ringer, or did I miss something?)

Reactions: antiprotest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.