Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Later next month, iPhone owners running iOS 17.4 will be able to generate a virtual card number for spending Apple Cash when Apple Pay isn't an online option, according to reports from Reddit users running the latest iOS 17.4 beta (via 9to5Mac).

apple-cash-virtual-card-number.jpg

An Apple Cash pre-paid card allows users to send peer-to-peer Apple Pay payments to friends and family, transfer money to bank accounts, pay off their Apple Card, or spend money online via Apple Pay.

With the new virtual card feature, Apple Cash users will be able to spend their balance even if Apple Pay is not supported by an online store.

According to users with Apple Card on the iOS 17.4 beta, there's new a pop-up inviting them to set up a virtual card number, which Apple says will "keep your card information safe with a new security code for every transaction."

Once generated, the card number can be accessed using Safari AutoFill, and used to shop online "where Apple Pay is not available." Users can also view the card number in Wallet, as well as generate new card numbers and CVC codes.

As 9to5Mac notes, the feature may not have been rolled out yet to every beta user. If you're running iOS 17.4 beta and use Apple Cash, you can check by opening the Wallet app, tapping your Apple Cash card, and checking for the option to "Set Up Virtual Card Number."

Apple last month confirmed that iOS 17.4 will be released at some point in March. The upcoming software update includes several new features and changes for the iPhone, as outlined in our list.

Article Link: iOS 17.4 Beta Lets Apple Cash Users Generate Virtual Card Numbers

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The description seems to suggest you can generate new card numbers on a whim. Sounds promising. I want this system to be Apple's take on Privacy.com (which is not so private). I want to generate unique virtual cards for different vendors and set a one time or recurring limit. I hope they do that in the future.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Hey Apple, given we're not getting sideloading in the UK any time soon howabout launching Apple Cash on this side of the pond?
I agree, it'd be great to see it in the UK. I suspect there are various banking regulations that need sorting (also a bank willing to handle the business here).

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
The description seems to suggest you can generate new card numbers on a whim. Sounds promising. I want this system to be Apple's take on Privacy.com (which is not so private). I want to generate unique virtual cards for different vendors and set a one time or recurring limit. I hope they do that in the future.
I get privacy.com probably makes money on advertising etc from the transaction info, but it is so awesome to control subscriptions etc. Great service.

• Sad
Reactions: zapmymac and mhnd

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
After set up, the “learn more“ link leads to a page which is blank:

Attachments

• IMG_1543.png
    IMG_1543.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 23

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Citibank has had this service on its credit cards for many years, and I use it all the time. Particularly for sellers with whom I wish to have only limited transactions and subscriptions for which I do not want automatic re-subscribes. It takes only a minute to get a virtual number and customized expiration date. Just set the expire date for a month or so and don’t worry about unwanted charges down the road. All charges still appear on the regular bill.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I agree, it'd be great to see it in the UK. I suspect there are various banking regulations that need sorting (also a bank willing to handle the business here).
I'd to think that it would be worth the while of someone like Lloyds or Barclays.

I also love how someone voted disagree with the original post as if Apple spreading its services to other countries is somehow a negative 😂

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
Another free platform for virtual credit cards is Privacy.com. This service allows you set payment limits and also 1 time cards that self-destruct. Very useful for maintaining security over your finances.

djkilla

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
Question: This sounds a lot like privacy.com virtual cards. Will you be able to transfer money to the Apple Cash card from your bank account? If so, then this will kill privacy.com and creating an Apple virtual card will be the next big thing for Apple customers privacy!

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Other credit cards offer better cashback and Venmo is phone agnostic for peer to peer.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Question: This sounds a lot like privacy.com virtual cards. Will you be able to transfer money to the Apple Cash card from your bank account? If so, then this will kill privacy.com and creating an Apple virtual card will be the next big thing for Apple customers privacy!
You can transfer money to and from the card and a designated bank account. You can also set up a recurring auto transfer to the card from the bank account.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
As soon as  Cash & Card becomes available in Europe I am willing to change banks only to have and use it. Your turn Apple, make it quick please
You don’t need to change banks to use it where it is available. And the features may be somewhat too limited to take care of the various payment types needed in daily/monthly life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.