Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
iOS 17.4 seems to have broken a lot of phone functionality of my 14 Pro.
  1. Calls getting dropped frequently
  2. 5G connection is sometimes OK, sometimes super slow and sometimes no internet access at all. (Already checked with my provider, multiple other phones, I seem the be the only one with issues.
    1. When on 5G, Teams/Zoom calls go to reconnecting mode every other minute, so I have to be on WiFi all the time.
  3. My second line on eSim does not connect at all. Network reset did nothing.
Seems that I'm not the only one having issues and the only way to resolve this is to set up the phone new - which I'm reluctant to do. I'll wait for 17.4.1 and see if not, I'll do it.

Combining with macOS update breaking Java, this seems to be the sloppiest one ever...

Last edited:

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Same. My phone will show full bars of 5G UW, but my speeds are very slow. I also have callers telling me they can’t hear me and am getting dropped calls.

Reactions: Anaxarxes

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I don't have many 14pro in use at my company but I have about + 1000 iPhone 14 and around 350 of them are currently running 17.4. Haven't had any reports about these issues.
This is in the Nordics so there might be a difference in cellular tech/frequencies being used.

Most of them are located in the city with 5G coverage.

Reactions: Anaxarxes

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
  1. Updated to 17.4 via OTA - this is where issues started.
  2. I did a clean restore via iOS - did not restore from backup, installed all apps manually. Still the same
  3. 17.4.1 came out, OTA - nothing changed.
  4. Yesterday I did an ISPW restore via DFU mode - loaded from my new backup from the fresh install 1 week back.

Nothing changed.

I go out, try to open maps, google maps, parking apps, social media - 90% of the time first time load of these apps freeze in loading or say that I'm not connected to the internet.Second time opening they work. 15-60 seconds lated they lose connectivity. My other line on eSIM does not get service.

I head out of home on a teams/zoom call, my phone switches to cellular, calls freeze, I get 15 sec cycle of reconnecting, people cannot hear me on the other end. I connect back to Wifi, all is good again.

Apple messed up big time on the cellular modem firmware or the way iOS handles the modem. Similar issues online mostly related to 14Pro/Pro Max.

I'm going to try one more DFU ISPW restore as a new iPhone tonight. If that does not do, I'll head to the Apple Store.

Ridiculous.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Not sure how different the 14 pro is to the regular 14. Could it be different antenna design since there's other materials being used? Also, the 14 and later has a more complex design with things such as satellite support and a newer modem.
But there might be differences we don't know about when it comes to the HW of course, if heaps of 14 pro owners has these issues and regular 14 owners don't i'd say its SW related.

Modern phones has a load of antennas built in (8 or more) and get one value wrong it might affect how they all are working. Somoeone mentioned that there has been a modem FW update in 17.4 so it might be related to that.

Not a bad idea to head to the Apple store, they will prob tell you more about this.
Have you been in contact with the Apple support?

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
14 PM no issues here, (17.4), (17.4.1) and 17.4.1 (21E237) modem firmware 2.51.04

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I visited the Apple Store today explained all my tries to have the issues resolved. They did a diagnostic check on the phone with their tools and with all 5 tries, the phone did not finish the test and hang at something like 60% on cellular connectivity diagnostics.

They replaced the motherboard, case, battery, back glass - basically entire thing, except the display. a total of 660 EUR of parts at no cost, as I'm covered with the Netherlands Consumer Warranty (Apple warranty in the Netherlands is 1 year, phone is 1.5 year old)

So as I'm restoring the phone, I just wanted to let everyone know that this issue was legitimate and everyone experiencing these should visit the Apple Store.

Reactions: 2Xtreme21

cheese1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
I had this issue on my 15 pro max. I updated it the night 17.4.1 came out and it broke all cellular. Good news was I just had to reset it fully. I talked to apple support they told me to reset the network preferences and that didn't work. Then when I got home I Backed it up over wifi and reset it. Now it's fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.