Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Wow. Fascinating. Everyone else I know is experiencing poor quality audio from the Messages app. Wild.

Dumb question: do you also hear the bad quality if you send a voice message to yourself using the Messages app? And if you sent a message to someone who hears it with a bad quality, do you also hear it with that same quality if you listen to the message you sent in your own Messages app?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's already encoded badly, or if it gets compressed on the way. Are you by chance talking to someone using MMS (aka "green bubble")?

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Dumb question: do you also hear the bad quality if you send a voice message to yourself using the Messages app? And if you sent a message to someone who hears it with a bad quality, do you also hear it with that same quality if you listen to the message you sent in your own Messages app?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's already encoded badly, or if it gets compressed on the way. Are you by chance talking to someone using MMS (aka "green bubble")?
No MMS… strictly iMessage.

I hear the poor quality even before I hit “send” on the message. There’s also a weird audio pop that now starts every single recording.

So, yeah, I get the poor quality recordings whether I send the audio messages to me or someone else.

But recording a voice message with the Voice Memos app sounds absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

Maxell

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2022
Sailfish work with never devices too. But I have been thinking about this for a long while. Might get one to evaluate how well it works. Would be good to see if they can lift the support for Android apps too.

But the restoring random photos bug that has appeared is reason enough for me to start looking for an iOS alternative.
iOS 17.5.1 is out and fixes this

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Is anyone having issues with locations?

Whether its a problem with 5G or as a result of the update?

Examples:-

Weather has a line through the location arrow every morning;
Some apps that rely on my location say 'having trouble locating you' or words to that effect (my Sky TV apps mainly)

I use 5G because I have unlimited data therefore rarely need to use my wifi connection(s)

EDIT: the arrow never comes up in the top left to show its trying to find my location - it is set to always in the relevant app(s)

Last edited:

Sub.0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Anyone having an issue with Screentime making the App Store not able to show up? I use it for all my son’s devices and when i would go to allow for Installing Apps it would show the app for a split second then disappear.

I’m not sure when this problem occurred but until recently, I went to update his apps on his devices and when I allowed for Installed Apps to be on, the App Store shows up for a second and then disappears. It does this for all his devices. This never happened before. I can see the App Store pop up and before I am able to click it, it disappears.

I updated all his devices and are on 17.5.1 and still the same result. The only way for me to actually update any apps now and have the App Store show up is to disable Content & Privacy Restrictions. I can turn it back on afterwards.

But instead of just having “Installing Apps” as allowed it seems like there is a glitch? Anyone else have a fix or experiencing the same thing?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
iOS 17.5.1 is out and fixes this
Yes, I saw that. And the explanation for the bug sounds reasonable.
This might be something that could have been hard to catch during tests, but I still struggle to imagine that this isn't a case that hasn't happened before.

It would have been nice if Apple could be more transparent when things like these happens.

I will still look into alternatives, Android isn't for me and its fun to try new things to see if they are a viable 3rd alternative. Sailfish does sound very interesting on paper.

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Wow. Fascinating. Everyone else I know is experiencing poor quality audio from the Messages app. Wild.

I did another recording whilst making breakfast so there was a bit of background noise and I got a small pop at the end, but thought that’s my hand stopping the recording. 🤷🏽

Everything else was fine.

• Wow
Reactions: s2mike

sadsmileyface

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
I noticed something odd.

When I go to iPhone storage and check Messages, it shows all the videos and images taking up space on the device.

Even for conversations that have been deleted.

What's going on there?

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Whenever I ask Siri to play any music playlist, I get the response "Looks like Apple Music Can't Play That".

Anyone else still having this issue with the last beta version?
I have the exact same problem with ios 17.5.1 on my iphone and similar issue on my iPad with iPod 17.5.1 (beta). Called Apple. Reps I spoke with were clueless.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Whenever I ask Siri to play any music playlist, I get the response "Looks like Apple Music Can't Play That".

Anyone else still having this issue with the last beta version?
Just called Apple Support (5/29/2024), again, and here is my take away. There are many other Apple users experiencing this same issue after updating to ios 17.5.1 (FYI, did not have this issue with previous version before updating) and Apple is aware of this. Evidently this Siri issue is in pending status on Apple's side. That said, I'll be looking for another software update to address this Siri playlist problem.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Siri does seem to have slipped recently. Most of the time when I try to say "turn on dresser lamp," it gives me shopping options for dresser lamps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.