Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS Camera app offers a few optional settings to help you line up your shots, most notably a Grid that can be overlaid on the screen to help apply the rule of thirds.

ios-17-collage.jpg

And for the last few years, the Grid mode has included a somewhat-hidden leveling feature for top-down photos, popping up a floating crosshair to help make sure you're lined up properly above your subject.

With iOS 17, Apple is enhancing the camera leveling functionality, separating it out from the Grid mode to its own option and expanding it to include a horizontal level for more traditional straight-on photos.

ios-17-camera-level-no.jpg

Turning the Level option on will pop up a broken horizontal line on the screen when your iPhone senses you're lining up for a straight-on shot and you tilt your device slightly out of horizontal. The line appears white while your phone is out of level and then turns yellow once you achieve a level orientation to indicate success.

ios-17-camera-level.jpg

The leveling pop-up only appears for a brief time and only within a narrow range of angles close to horizontal (in either portrait or landscape orientation), so it's not intrusively popping up when you're intentionally trying to take a photo at an angle.

ios-17-camera-level-setting.jpg

The new option appears to be off by default if you don't have Grid mode turned on before upgrading, but is on by default if you're already a Grid mode user. The option can be toggled in the Camera section of the Settings app.

The new Level feature is just one of a number of enhancements to photos in iOS 17, including one-tap cropping, pet recognition, animated sticker creation, and Visual Look Up for recipes from photos.

(Thanks, Jake!)

Article Link: iOS 17 Camera App Can Help Straighten Your Shooting Angle

Last edited:

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
One cool feature could be to grab the object them move the camera to change the background in real time.

phill85

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
All of these ‘small’ enhancements are really adding up!

EDIT: I should add, the other epic features so far are crossfade, and downloaded offline maps. Finally when flying and in airplane mode with no Wi-Fi it’ll still appear as normal!

Reactions: GregoriusM

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Apple is clearly behind in Natural Language AI (compared to ChatGPT), but there is AI in many places in iOS.

But this. This is one of the nice things they're good at with AI. Very handy, I know I will use it a lot !

• Disagree
Reactions: !!!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
this is a good feature available in VSCO since 10 years
Third-party apps have often “inspired” Apple. I bet there’s a team at Apple whose primary mission is to download third-party apps and see what “new” features they can farm from them for future iOS updates.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
They copy features from Halide instead of letting us change the default camera app and launch Halide from the lock screen. Great.

Reactions: bruno7

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
They copy features from Halide instead of letting us change the default camera app and launch Halide from the lock screen. Great.
This is far from a Halide-only feature. It's more like Apple is copying from virtually every other camera maker.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I love the people like “OMG stolen from [whatever] software!!!!!1111~~” as if leveling indicators haven’t been part of photography and built into cameras for decades. I had a film SLR camera in the late 90s that had a light that came on when I was holding it level.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I don't know how this could be done but I would love the camera to assist with taking pictures of drawings and painting hanging in museums and the like. I find that often when I am taking such pictures, not only do I need assistance with the x- and y-axis, but also z-axis (that is how far I am tilting the camera in or out).

Better yet, if there could be a post-processing tool that would deal with levelling out all x-, y-, and z-axis issues so the picture can look as straight as possible, barring issues with lens distortion.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The leveling pop-up only appears for a brief time and only within a narrow range of angles close to horizontal (in either portrait or landscape orientation), so it's not intrusively popping up when you're intentionally trying to take a photo at an angle.
Noice.🥰 It'd be annoying for the line to pop up when you're going for the dramatic Dutch tilt.😎

spencereeves

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Glad to see this new little improvement! It seemed like every other camera app (even Snapchat) had this level feature except the native Camera app until now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.