Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 updates include a number of privacy and security improvements that make your devices safer than ever, with Apple restricting access to photos and calendar events and cutting down further on how websites track you across the web.

iOS-17-Privacy-and-Security-Improvements-Feature.jpg

Private Browsing Upgrades in Safari

In Safari, Private browsing windows are now locked and require secondary authentication to unlock and access. If you hand your phone over to someone and they attempt to open your Safari private browsing tab, access will be denied without a Face ID/Touch ID scan or a passcode.

safari-private-browsing-ios-17.jpg

The Private tab is locked automatically.

Tracking URL Removal

Opening up a URL in a private browsing window automatically strips all tracking information added to the URL, plus unknown trackers are completely blocked so companies aren't able to track your browsing across multiple sites.

safari-tracking-all-browsing-ios-17.jpg

URLs can also be stripped when browsing in non-private browsing mode if the functionality is enabled. Here's how to remove URL-based tracking for all browser windows:
  1. Open up the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down to Safari.
  3. Tap on Advanced.
  4. Tap on Advanced Tracking and Fingerprinting Protection.
  5. Toggle on "All Browsing."
Turning this on will ensure that all URLs opened in Safari will strip additional tracking information that's pasted on to the end of a URL.

Shared Passwords

With iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma, you can securely share passwords and passkeys with friends and family members using a new shared password function. Using this feature, passwords for shared media accounts, utilities, bills, and more can be provided to multiple people.

ios-17-shared-passwords.jpg

Each person can access, add to, and change passwords that are shared, with setup available by going to the Passwords section of the Settings app and choosing "Get Started" under the "Family Passwords" heading.

Passcode Resets

If you change the passcode on your iPhone and then accidentally forget the new passcode that you chose, you now have a 72-hour grace period to fix it without getting locked out of your device.

iOS-17-Passcode-Reset-Feature.jpg

Apple lets you use your old passcode within 72 hours of setting a new one, which is handy if you're someone who is likely to forget a newly created passcode.

When you enter an incorrect passcode after making a change, you can tap on the "Forgot Passcode?" option at the bottom of the display to use the "Try Passcode Reset" option. Tapping it allows you to use your old passcode to create yet another new passcode.

For protection in case someone has learned your passcode, there is an "Expire Previous Passcode Now" setting that you can turn on.

Photo Library Access

The Photos picker in iOS 17 is designed to allow users to share specific photos with apps while the rest of the Photo Library stays private. Apps must ask to access the user's entire photo library, and users will be shown additional information on the photo information they are sharing, such as number of photos and videos and the metadata included like location and captions.

photos-security-ios-17.jpg

You can give apps the following access:
  • Limited Access - Apps can see only the images that you can select, and you can review the selected images anytime either in the app or by going to Settings > Privacy & Security > Photos.
  • Full Access - Apps can see all of the images and videos in your Photo Library, and your device will tell you exactly how many photos and videos you're giving access to.
  • None - No access to the Photo Library at all.
  • Add Photos Only - The app can add images to your library, but not view them. This setting depends on the app, and is not available for all apps.
If you open up the Settings app and then go to the Privacy and Security section and choose Photos, you can see the Photos access that all apps have access to. You can change the settings from here, and it's a good idea to go through the list to see exactly which apps can see your images. You can also opt to remove information like location and caption, and change photo format.

Downloading a new app that wants Photo Library access will bring up options to give limited or full access. In the past, apps had the option to just ask for blanket Photo Library access, which gave them the entire library, rath... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Eight Privacy and Security Improvements in iOS 17: Safari, Shared Passwords, URL Tracking Removal and More

Last edited:

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
Locked private browsing isn't working on DB2. Setting is enabled, it just doesn't do anything.

Reactions: dk001

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Is HomeKit activity available in the current beta? I can't find it.

Locked private browsing isn't working on DB2. Setting is enabled, it just doesn't do anything.

For me it's been working since beta 1.

Gotta say, it's a lot more annoying on Mac since it has no Face ID and changing my arm position just to unlock it is tedious

Reactions: centauratlas

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Great article, I had no idea about some of these improvements.

iOS 17 is not really a major upgrade like iOS 16 was but there are plenty of small QOL improvements across the board, especially small but necessary changes to Siri on the phone and watch.

Reactions: xmach and Brad7

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Let's hope that Apple does something about this:

Some of the suggestions there could fix the issue and aren't difficult. At worst give people the option to turn it on (or off depending on the default).

Every iteration improves and things like the above and ADP are huge improvements.
I can’t believe there’s no apparent addressing of this issue in iOS 17.

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
I can’t believe there’s no apparent addressing of this issue in iOS 17.

It is unacceptable. I’m using the screen time hack which is super annoying.

DoN”t USe yOUr PAsScoDE In pUbLIc oh yeah great idea! Except when I’m at the bar, in a darkly lit room, with hair coving my face, FaceID never works. If only there was a solution that didn’t rely on a facial recognition, some kind of under-screen fingerprint scanner perhaps?

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
"With ‌iOS 17‌, ‌macOS Sonoma‌, and ‌iPadOS 17‌, when you sign into an Apple website, you'll use biometric authentication rather than your password"

What biometric device works on a Mac mini? No camera, random keyboard and mouse. Or is it only an option?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Define “privacy”.

Apple doesn’t want others to have your data but they help themselves to all you have.
I know what Google does with mine.
I limit 3rd party where I can.
I have no clue what Apple does with all my data.

I do know I am seeing more advertisements across the board from all parties including Apple.

Call me skeptical. Let’s see what Apple really delivers. Well, delivers and works.

ps: when Apple fixes the passcode problem, then, I’ll be a bit more impressed.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I seriously hope amazon affiliate parameters doesn’t get removed. I don’t run ads on my sites, I don’t have anything but essential cookies so I don’t even need a cookie nag, the only way my sites make money is people clicking amazon links and buying stuff. I don’t track people at all and the amazon affiliate tag is the same for every person so it isn’t tracking them, it doesn’t even track which specific site they clicked from because the tag is the same on all sites. If Apple stripped these tags then my sites make no money at all.

Reactions: cyanite

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
"With ‌iOS 17‌, ‌macOS Sonoma‌, and ‌iPadOS 17‌, when you sign into an Apple website, you'll use biometric authentication rather than your password"

What biometric device works on a Mac mini? No camera, random keyboard and mouse. Or is it only an option?
Well it seems like apple offers a keyboard with touchid built in

iSepp

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021

Passcode authentication is always optional. You're able to choose your preferred login method.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.