Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
If you were at my dinner party your phone would be in your jacket pocket in the cloakroom. Give your fellow diners and your hosts your full attention or hit the road. :)

Fair enough. I'm not the kind to attend dinner parties formal enough to require suit jackets or restaurants with coat rooms, though. (After buying the new iPhone, my budget is more Arby's or Wendy's. Heh.)

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
For those of you who say that Apple doesnt innovate any longer. How do you explain contact posters? Checkmate ppl....
Reminds me of ancient times when you could send personalized ringtones to recipients... Didn't last long due to NSFW content. How is it handled this time? Recipients should be able to approve all, none or some, and install them as contact pictures imho.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why would I let the recipient know that I own an iPhone? For me that feels like an unpaid ad for Apple. It is like a blue bubble. For me it would be quite embarrassing if others learn that I bought an overpriced phone. That information can be quite damaging in the wrong hands. Research has shown that some online stores or hotel platforms show higher prices to iPhone users than to Android users, as iPhone users are less price sensitive.
Just FYI, anyone can find out if you have an iPhone or not by opening a new Messages window and punching in your phone number.

The message box will say "iMessage" if you have an iPhone, or "Text Message" if you don't. This has been the case for many, many years now. They don't even have to send a message, just open the window to send and look at the text input box.

Dble07

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2022
For those of us that have dual sims in our phones, I wish there was a way to configure two of these, one for each Sim (work number and personal number). Otherwise this is pretty cool.

Also, there’s a mechanism in place to stop pics from automatically showing up.
I said this weeks ago, hoping it might gain some traction. I even put in a request through Apple. Fingers crossed it comes to 17.1 or 17.2

Reactions: hxlover904

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Just FYI, anyone can find out if you have an iPhone or not by opening a new Messages window and punching in your phone number.

The message box will say "iMessage" if you have an iPhone, or "Text Message" if you don't. This has been the case for many, many years now. They don't even have to send a message, just open the window to send and look at the text input box.
How is that information shared? Does Apple store that Information and send it to anyone who wants it? Could I just type in random numbers to look for iPhone owners? Imagine the consequences.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
So you can only make your own? So people who call me who never bother to upgrade (probably vast majority, family etc) I’ll either have to borrow their phones and do it for them or just accept it’s feature that won’t work in many cases? Especially android users! I assumed I could create contact cards much like you do now, so when my mother rings, i see the photo I’ve chosen to see etc.
No, I have always had contact photos for people, and in iOS 17, they’ve only been replaced if the person adds one on their end. So, like several of my friends on the PB have updated theirs, but everyone else’s has stayed the same.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
So you can only make your own? So people who call me who never bother to upgrade (probably vast majority, family etc) I’ll either have to borrow their phones and do it for them or just accept it’s feature that won’t work in many cases? Especially android users! I assumed I could create contact cards much like you do now, so when my mother rings, i see the photo I’ve chosen to see etc.
You can make customized ones for anyone in your address book. Here’s an example of an Android contact.

Attachments

• IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 46

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
So you can only make your own? So people who call me who never bother to upgrade (probably vast majority, family etc) I’ll either have to borrow their phones and do it for them or just accept it’s feature that won’t work in many cases?
No, you can have a personalized poster for them, but people around you will have the option to share their own, and you can then select the poster you prefer

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Would love to but mine says "DISABLED".....what am I missing....is it country and carrier specific....UK user
Mine has been “Disabled” since Beta 1. When tapping on it to go into the menu it just highlights grey and doesn’t go anywhere. I submitted a Feedback on this topic way back then but haven’t heard anything. You’re so far the only other person I’ve seen with this issue.

I’m in Germany. Maybe it’s a US only thing??

Attachments

• IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 41

eastpointvet

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
You can make a poster for anyone. My only gripe is if you have an emoji besides a name in your contact list it shows as whatever color you have the name in instead of the color of the emoji itself

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It's probably for those with a hard lightning connection for some accessory. I'm glad they made this adapter.

Hmm… so if someone creates their contact poster with some kind of obscene or NSFW image, it’s going to display on the unlucky recipient’s phone?

This will be.... interesting.

Does this only work if you have the person in your contact list?

Making my poster now! 😉

That's my first thought, since it's the kind of thing I would try.

I assume they will implement the same tech that blocks such images on Messages, so that's a no go.

However, it might not stop an image of a huge cucumber between two oranges and other such designs.

So we're back in business, kind of.

Apple addresses this. Contact Posters only show up from your contacts. So yeah I guess your friends can prank you by changing their contact poster.

Edit: though thinking about this a bit more, it changes that poster for everyone so if it’s a number they actually care about they probably don’t want to do anything too crazy with it.

Phone app -> edit in top left corner -> tap name -> Name and photo sharing toggle off

To turn off receiving them you have to turn off sending them too.

Last edited:

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
My contact poster won’t show up on my wife’s phone and I don’t know why 😫😫 everything appears to be setup properly although my wife hasn’t created her poster yet.

The entire experience is super buggy right now. I tried re-cropping some of the images, but the re-cropped image won't persist (even though it saves, shows while I'm still in the contact card, but as soon as I leave contacts, the old version comes back).

Last edited:

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Mine has been “Disabled” since Beta 1. When tapping on it to go into the menu it just highlights grey and doesn’t go anywhere. I submitted a Feedback on this topic way back then but haven’t heard anything. You’re so far the only other person I’ve seen with this issue.

I’m in Germany. Maybe it’s a US only thing??
Someone replied in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/14211a4
Do you have your account signed in on any other device with another number? just disabled iMessages and Facetime on my other devices that use different numbers and it worked for me afterwards..

This tips works for me!!

Last edited:

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I had to do over all my important contacts so I could get them full screen 🙄 . I'm sure most people I know won't even look into this !

bizzwriter

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Left coast...
My contact poster won’t show up on my wife’s phone and I don’t know why 😫😫 everything appears to be setup properly although my wife hasn’t created her poster yet.

The entire experience is super buggy right now. I tried re-cropping some of the images, but the re-cropped image won't persist (even though it saves, shows while I'm still in the contact card, but as soon as I leave contacts, the old version comes back).
Ditto. Except my wife created hers too. I can't see my wife's, and she can't see mine. Super bummed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.