Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is making contact and password sharing a lot easier in iOS 17 by letting users insert them into any text field they encounter in the system.

ios-17-contacts-passwords.jpg

When long pressing in a text box, a new "Insert" option appears in the pop-up menu. Tapping it brings up another menu with two additional new options: "Contacts" and "Passwords."

Choosing Contacts takes you straight to your contacts list for you to make your selection, while tapping Password takes you to your passwords keychain after authentication.

The feature was tipped to MacRumors by Aaronp613. iOS 17 is available now in beta for members of Apple's Developer Program, and will be publicly released later this year.

Article Link: iOS 17 Lets You Insert Contacts and Passwords into Any Text Field

Reactions: NCSilverBear

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
OMG I can not believe. My old feature phone could insert names and numbers into messages 20 years ago. There was not much reason to do that elsewhere :) I asked Apple for that for ages. iMessage apps for that purpose were unusable and only for iMessage. Apple made my day lol

Reactions: zapmymac

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple is making contact and password sharing a lot easier in iOS 17 by letting users insert them into any text field they encounter in the system.
Apple brings out password sharing after Netflix starts cracking down on password sharing. Too late. 🤣

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Choosing Contacts takes you straight to your contacts list for you to make your selection, while tapping Password takes you to your passwords keychain after authentication.
Does it actually reveal the password to the recipient, or does it just let them use it without knowing what it is ?
It seems like a bad implementation if it reveals it, honestly...

Reactions: zapmymac

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Hope it works with 3rd party managers. It’s likely too though, being as though the rest of the auto fill system does.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This seems to only support iCloud Keychain for Passwords which renders the feature useless for people using third party password managers (probably most of them).
1. Do you have more info on support?

2. Perhaps because it was just announced devs haven’t gotten to announce whatever API is needed to expand this support to their apps.

I know people have been on a kick about Apple “lock in” lately, but the last 2 years of new features have seemed to come with API’s from day one for 3rd parties to adopt. SharePlay frameworks come to mind…

arekf

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2023
1. Do you have more info on support?

2. Perhaps because it was just announced devs haven’t gotten to announce whatever API is needed to expand this support to their apps.

I know people have been on a kick about Apple “lock in” lately, but the last 2 years of new features have seemed to come with API’s from day one for 3rd parties to adopt. SharePlay frameworks come to mind…

Here's a screen recording from iPadOS 17. It directs straight to iCloud Keychain Passwords. There are no settings to override it. But I keep my fingers crossed this can be changed before final release.

ezekielelin

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Here's a screen recording from iPadOS 17. It directs straight to iCloud Keychain Passwords. There are no settings to override it. But I keep my fingers crossed this can be changed before final release.
And you can confirm that if you click the Passwords button that appears above the keyboard on a password field, it does show your 3rd party apps?

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
They seemed to be big on APIs this year so hopefully they didn't miss this one. They've been pretty good about it so far on both the Mac and iPhone.

Agreed. I think a lot of the new APIs are to comply with recent legislation pressures in both EU and the US to be honest. This gives them some points they can utilize against competitors but we shall see.

NCSilverBear

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013

ios-17-contacts-passwords.jpg

When long pressing in a text box, a new "Insert" option appears in the pop-up menu. Tapping it brings up another menu with two additional new options: "Contacts" and "Passwords."

The feature was tipped to MacRumors by Aaronp613. iOS 17 is available now in beta for members of Apple's Developer Program, and will be publicly released later this year.

Article Link: iOS 17 Lets You Insert Contacts and Passwords into Any Text Field
Sounds great and very welcome. If it works as advertised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.