Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
So the non-Pro iPhones will display all this content permanently as long it's charging right? If so, then it's a great feature for all iPhone users.

I have a slow-charging 3rd party stand I park my iPhone on overnight, so to have just the clock always displaying faintly is great (even if there's a Google Next Hub 2 on the other side 😏).

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I love the Belkin BoostCharge Pro series - I have the 3-in-1 and it's great. Not cheap, but very nice.

I picked this one up from Costco a few weeks ago, I love it. Although for some reason my phone wouldn't charge on it last night until I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

pinballwiz

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
i can't get stand-by mode to work with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I have my phone in landscape mode, on a stand charging. The stand-by mode will come on. It will even go red when I turn the lights off, but the display goes off after a few minutes. If I wave my arm, the phone will 'see' me and the display will come on again for a few minutes then disappear. I have the always on display option on. What am I missing?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
This looks cool, but I always power down my phone each night before bed.
This might be the craziest thing I've ever heard on the internet, and I once heard a lady call into a radio station complaining that the deer crossing signs where in a bad place, because the road was too busy there, and should be moved to a less busy place so the deer could cross at a safer spot.

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
LOVE Standby Mode! I finally got rid of an old iHome clock I had been using for years and picked up an Anker MagSafe cube. Even in the beta, it works great.

For the style I use, the font color is a blue/gray during the day and it changes to red at night.

Sanac

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
I hope the update doesn't come with a bunch of bugs and limited thought on user options. Like the wallpaper fiasco that's still not fixed on iPhone 13 and lower options. I had updated my phone to match a new MacBook Pro I purchased. My iPhone 13 bluetooth stopped working with other devices. The wall paper issue turns black randomly. Can't even turn the feature off unless you have the iPhone 14. Like seriously wtf? This is why I almost hate updating tech because with new hardware the backwards compatibility doesn't always work if not fully thought out. Def didn't expect this from apple but more from windows since apple has a say on the hardware itself.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Does this all mean that Apple f'in finally fixed the Music app so that it works in landscape?!

I hope so, 'cause Jesus Christ this was a long wait...

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Agreed. This would run on any older iPhone since it’s plugged in. Let’s hope they change that in future beta.

Kind of reminds me when they limited Night Shift to only the 5S and newer. Like the iPhone 5 was physically incapable of displaying yellow.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The attention function doesn't seem to be working. It's not shutting off and is on high brightness. This is a 14 Pro Max with 17 latest beta. The setting says it should be shutting off. Widgets are active and everything else seems normal. .

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Devices really don’t like being powered down overnight. They do all kinds of maintenance stuff while you’re asleep. That can’t happen when it’s literally off.
They can do the same maintenance stuff when user is not using it, well, at least some of it. Might eat away too much battery life but if it’s charging, then it shouldn’t matter.
This might be the craziest thing I've ever heard on the internet, and I once heard a lady call into a radio station complaining that the deer crossing signs where in a bad place, because the road was too busy there, and should be moved to a less busy place so the deer could cross at a safer spot.
That lady’s complaint is crazier than that dude powering down iPhone every night.
You shouldn't do this...
I mean, why not?

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I haven't made the jump to 17 yet. However, I'm wondering about StandBy.

How does it behave if you have a Focus mode on? i.e. Sleep, for example.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
I hope they bring this to the iPad. Would be good as a permanent photo display device when not using for other purposes

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I'm sure that women with the deer crossing assumed there was a gate and feeder for animals. You read that and it sounds like she thinks deer can read, which is unlikely.

Then again, she may have strange ideas. I see this often.

Last edited:

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I love the Belkin BoostCharge Pro series - I have the 3-in-1 and it's great. Not cheap, but very nice.

Yep, this is the one I use as well, and it's great. As noted, it's expensive, but it's good. Lucky me got it for Christmas.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
i can't get stand-by mode to work with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I have my phone in landscape mode, on a stand charging. The stand-by mode will come on. It will even go red when I turn the lights off, but the display goes off after a few minutes. If I wave my arm, the phone will 'see' me and the display will come on again for a few minutes then disappear. I have the always on display option on. What am I missing?
I assume you’re running iOS17 Beta?

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Personally wish they’d have differing standby configurations per focus modes. I’ve been using it at work and having calendar up is nice but as a night stand I’d want something different like weather opt sleep tracking data

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Does anyone know if (on the 14 pro/pro max) you can have the always-on display option turned off in general, but then it'll still work in always-on mode in StandBy?

Rastapopoulos

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I just noticed this in my settings, SleepLockScreen. I think it’s for the feature in this article, BUT I am still on iOS 16.5.1 (a) on a 12 mini 🤔.
IMG_5139.jpeg

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Is it possible to make the always on standby screen REALLY DIM? On iOS 16 the always on display it too bright at nighttime by my bed. My Amazon Home on the other had can be dimmed to VERY dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.