Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18 will include new audio transcription features in the Voice Memos and Notes apps, according to information obtained by AppleInsider.

iOS-18-General-Notes-Feature-2.jpg

The report claims that transcriptions of audio recordings will be available in both the Voice Memos and Notes apps on iOS 18. In addition, the Notes app will apparently be able to provide AI-generated summaries of key points in audio recordings. These features are also expected to be included in iPadOS 18 and macOS 15.

AppleInsider previously reported that the Calendar and Reminders apps and Calculator and Notes apps will be integrated on iOS 18, and said that the update will include new Safari features such as "Intelligent Search" and "Web Eraser." We recently recapped iOS 18 rumors on a per-app basis, with new features also expected for Apple Music, Messages, and more.

Apple is expected to announce iOS 18, iPadOS 18, macOS 15, and other software updates during its WWDC keynote on June 10. The first betas of the updates will likely be made available to members of Apple's Developer Program immediately following the keynote, and they should be widely released in September.

Article Link: iOS 18: Audio Transcriptions Rumored for Notes and Voice Memos Apps

Reactions: decypher44

m1mini

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I wonder what they have in the works for generative media. They have been quietly releasing AI language models that can not only chat back to you but also could potentially instruct media generating models, and they also released Stable diffusion working on CoreML (NPU). You can already install apps like Draw Things that lets you download or import stable diffusion models and run them locally on your iphone, and it is working fast in my A15 13 pro.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I hope iOS 18 would also bring iCloud Optimized Storage for Notes and Voice Memos app. On iOS 17, these apps do not offload infrequently accessed notes and memos.

For that matter, I would like to see Optimzed Storage option for all apps that use iCloud, and more efficient use of storage for perhaps two of the biggest offenders: Photos and Messages. And finally, bring "delete cache" and "delete data" options for every apps, so that we can free up storage space without having to reset our iPhone or delete apps.

Reactions: gusmula

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Long overdue..
Also auto video transcript and super scaling please. TVs have some good video processing techniques, I hope the computer world can pick those up as AI features

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I should hope Apple would catch up here. There are already AI-powered transcription apps that absolutely blow away the voice recognition built into iOS and macOS. I've been playing with one called MacWhisper for a while now and it's incredibly good, especially if you run it with one of the larger/slower models. It will even put in things like ellipses and detect questions so they get punctuated correctly.

Reactions: hkeely and macvicta

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apple needs to update their Journal app. It's so pathetic at the moment you might as well just delete it permanently.
Apple needs to delete their Journal and Sports App
And these opinions are relevant to this story about audio transcription... how exactly? Any other random things you want to get off your chest?

Last edited:

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
A smarter Siri is the feature I'm most excited about in an AI-powered Apple future, but audio transcriptions in Notes would be a close second. :D
These are all AI-related features though.

Text to Text, Speech to Text, Text to Speech, Image to Text...

I really can't wait to see what's coming. I know the 4th industrial revolution is the emergence of new technologies, but I believe AI itself, while also being a new technology, is so big that it deserves to be called a 5th revolution.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
And these opinions are relevant to this story about audio transcription... how exactly? Any other random things you want to get off your chest?
I am joking but yes, Apple’s own apps need more features and a higher standard. There is no reason audio transcript only comes in 2024.

Same story for their work and pro Apps. How many features have they actually released for iWork and FCPX in the last 10 years? Why is automatic subtitles still not a thing in fcpx yet? Why?

What even is iOS without a good suite of Apps and features, and what even is iPhone without a good iOS?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will be a good feature if added to iOS 18. Expecting to hear a lot more at WWDC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.