Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to announce iOS 18 during its WWDC keynote on June 10, and new features have already been rumored for many apps, including Apple Music, Apple Maps, Calculator, Messages, Notes, Safari, and others.

iOS-18-Apple-Music-Messages-and-Notes-Feature-1.jpg

Below, we recap iOS 18 rumors on a per-app basis, based on reports from MacRumors, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, and others:

While they are not dedicated apps, it has also been rumored that generative AI technology will allow the iPhone's virtual assistant Siri and built-in search tool Spotlight to respond to more complex questions and search queries.

For even more rumors, read our iOS 18 roundup.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to Add New Features to These 16 Apps on Your iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I had the Music app create a station from a song I was listening to this AM, and then three songs later, it played the song I had started the station from, so I heard the same song twice in 15 minutes; not a huge deal, but I'm not optimistic about Music getting any better.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
An updated fitness and Health app would be nice, and RCS too though I don’t communicate multimedia with anyone not on an iPhone right now.
The rest, meh
And all this AI “stuff” - don’t see the benefit for me

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Finally, a calculator. Ha. Over time, I have had several with ads and well, ready to be done with that.

Reactions: mac38728

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010

All I want is to be able to see and edit Smart Playlists on iOS. The fact that iOS still doesn't have this feature yet (though sometimes they seem to sync and update on the fly alright from syncing on the Mac/Windows), but computers from 1998 could do this is insane.

Also please, just let us add the Playlists/Artists/Songs tabs to the bottom tab bar again. Please. Drilling down into like 5 menus to get to the artists list is so bad, and it resets randomly when the app closes.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I’m hoping these depend on features of the new OS, otherwise these could just be pushed out via App Updates. But of course pushing updates of their own apps out via App Store instead of needing to lord them as OS “features” is a bit mind-bending for them.

Reactions: gusmula

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I hope the Fitness app will receive a major update for tvOS, because I've always seen it as an MVP. So much lost potential.

gaggle

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
What CAN they do?

I can only imagine AI having a chance of being truly new: ChatGPT voice mode can be super smooth, and more times than not can carry a really vibrant, informative voice interaction mode back and forth. It's amazing when it doesn't speak nonsense. So if I imagine Apple getting that? Some persistent, globally aware assistant. Have the new Siri or whatever say "Hello" on stage, and carry a conversation? Yeah that'd be interesting.

But if not that, then literally what else could be interesting? I don't mean to trash topological maps, I'm sure they'll be... topological, but c'mon, it can't be the headline news, right?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What CAN they do?

I can only imagine AI having a chance of being truly new: ChatGPT voice mode can be super smooth, and more times than not can carry a really vibrant, informative voice interaction mode back and forth. It's amazing when it doesn't speak nonsense. So if I imagine Apple getting that? Some persistent, globally aware assistant. Have the new Siri or whatever say "Hello" on stage, and carry a conversation? Yeah that'd be interesting.

But if not that, then literally what else could be interesting? I don't mean to trash topological maps, I'm sure they'll be... topological, but c'mon, it can't be the headline news, right?
I'd be happy if Suiri was as smart as the AI assistant built into the Opera web browser. Opra can search the web, summarize the results, and offer links to the sources used.

That is what I want from a search, a summary bit with all the sources cited. Opera can do this today, so maybe Siri can in 6 months?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.