Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think iPadOS is a true OS. I am decidedly not in favor of putting macOS on the iPad (maybe as an app, but not a dual-boot thing). I love iPadOS, and use my iPad as my primary computer. But I do think iPadOS should continue to get more macOS features. I think a big thing that would go a long way for some would be a Catalyst type system that would make all apps on the Mac App Store available on the iPad App Store. Personally I’m happy with iPadOS in it’s current state, though I’d like to see a few changes like a more functional Status Bar, manual organization options for the App Library, and a few other minor things. And I do think it would be nice for Mac App Store apps to be added.

If putting macOS on the iPad, dual boot is the better option as long as it’s optional. Ship the iPad with iPadOS only and if the end user wants it, they can partition the storage and install macOS themselves.

Memory management on iPadOS seems like it will be problematic for “macOS as an app”.

Not that either scenario is likely to happen anyway.

As for the Mac App Store being available for iPad, before FCP for iPad, I thought there was a chance of it. Now though, the probability seems very low.

In any case, I’m fairly content with iPadOS so whatever Apple implements or not as far as MacOS/App Store support wouldn’t affect me much (unless it eats up a huge chunk of precious internal storage).

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
If putting macOS on the iPad, dual boot is the better option as long as it’s optional. Ship the iPad with iPadOS only and if the end user wants it, they can partition the storage and install macOS themselves.

Memory management on iPadOS seems like it will be problematic for “macOS as an app”.

As for the Mac App Store being available for iPad, before FCP for iPad, I thought there was a chance of it. Now though, the probability seems very low.

In any case, I’m fairly content with iPadOS so whatever Apple implements or not as far as MacOS/App Store support wouldn’t affect me much (unless it eats up a huge chunk of precious internal storage).
I guess that does make sense, but it shouldn’t be done with a boot screen or menu when originally setting up your iPad in my opinion. Either would add extra confusion to people setting up their iPad. But maybe there could be something in Settings or something. But I doubt that would be something Apple would do, it doesn’t seem very elegant. I think that it’s far more likely that iPadOS will just incorporate most or all of the same features as macOS, and most or all Mac apps will get iPad versions. Swift Code clearly shows that Apple wants developers to make their apps for all of their platforms, and with Swift Code, a developer can create one app that will support every Apple platform. I could see Apple incentivizing developers to switch to Swift Code, and maybe creating a tool that can automatically replace an app’s existing code with Swift Code to make the process easier.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I guess that does make sense, but it shouldn’t be done with a boot screen or menu when originally setting up your iPad in my opinion. Either would add extra confusion to people setting up their iPad. But maybe there could be something in Settings or something. But I doubt that would be something Apple would do, it doesn’t seem very elegant. I think that it’s far more likely that iPadOS will just incorporate most or all of the same features as macOS, and most or all Mac apps will get iPad versions. Swift Code clearly shows that Apple wants developers to make their apps for all of their platforms, and with Swift Code, a developer can create one app that will support every Apple platform. I could see Apple incentivizing developers to switch to Swift Code, and maybe creating a tool that can automatically replace an app’s existing code with Swift Code to make the process easier.
macOS has an option in Settings to choose the default OS. Would be easy enough to just have iPadOS & macOS listed, from a UI standpoint.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015

What is wrong with iPadOS memory management? Why does this have to be fixed?

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
What is wrong with iPadOS memory management? Why does this have to be fixed?
I don’t know of any reason memory management would be an issue, now since iPadOS 15 which increased the amount of RAM apps can access. But maybe I’m missing something.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
One of the main things I’m hoping for is something like a hybrid between the Mac Menu Bar and the Dynamic Island for iPadOS’s Status Bar. Currently, it is fairly limited in utility. It’s nice that it does the basic things, but it would be awesome if it had more dynamic elements. Currently, it can show a little elongated button for things like when your screen recording, or when external accessories are connected with a plug, like external drives. What would be great is if it could show similar elements, but for things like active file transfers in the background, so you can see a status bar for the download or transfer there in your Status Bar. And perhaps a tray in the Status Bar could be used for quick access to things like shortcuts you could add into it, similar to the quick applets in the Menu Bar on macOS. I think that would make the iPadOS Status Bar more functional.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Do we think the unveil of iOS 18 in June is going to be the new “iOS 7 moment”? Is it going to be a redesign?
Who can forget the face Tim Cook made as the crowd stood and applauded, a face that just said “yeah. It’s good huh?”
Back in 2013 iOS 7 felt so fresh and modern, will be really interesting to see what they bring as well as the AI features etc

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Back in 2013 iOS 7 felt so fresh and modern, will be really interesting to see what they bring as well as the AI features etc

Honestly, what I remember from back then was some poorer design choices versus iOS 6. They put in eye candy at the expense of functionality, usability and performance.

Fonts were too thin affecting legibility. App folders only showed 9 apps per page versus I believe 20 on iOS 6. iOS 7 was also prone to stutters even on the latest iPhone 5s and iPad Air/mini 2.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Do we think the unveil of iOS 18 in June is going to be the new “iOS 7 moment”? Is it going to be a redesign?
Who can forget the face Tim Cook made as the crowd stood and applauded, a face that just said “yeah. It’s good huh?”

I think it will be of similar impact, but not in the same way. I’m not looking for a whole new design language (like the move from skeumorphism to the current design paradigm). But I am expecting changes to the UI/UX of the device. Perhaps they will allow free movement of icons (something I’ve never cared about but I know many of you do).

But I do think the star of the show will be the AI integrations / Siri improvements.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Honestly, what I remember from back then was some poorer design choices versus iOS 6. They put in eye candy at the expense of functionality, usability and performance.

Fonts were too thin affecting legibility. App folders only showed 9 apps per page versus I believe 20 on iOS 6. iOS 7 was also prone to stutters even on the latest iPhone 5s and iPad Air/mini 2.
I see what you’re saying, I guess a lot of it is personal subjective preference but there was a lot to iOS 7, things like transparencies and blur effects etc, just looked totally different and I loved it

Reactions: Tagbert

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
I think it will be of similar impact, but not in the same way. I’m not looking for a whole new design language (like the move from skeumorphism to the current design paradigm). But I am expecting changes to the UI/UX of the device. Perhaps they will allow free movement of icons (something I’ve never cared about but I know many of you do).

But I do think the star of the show will be the AI integrations / Siri improvements.
I agree. I’m expecting there will likely be some UI changes, but I think they will be more subdued. Maybe something like the nuemorphic icons on macOS. And probably more options for placement of apps/widgets on the Home Screen, that’s a pretty consistent rumor.

I think the AI improvements will be the biggest part, but I think there will be several other nice functionality improvements as well. I’m hoping they’ll expand AirPlay Receiver to allow me to AirPlay from my iPhone to my iPad’s display, I think that makes sense, especially since that setting now exists in 17. Also, I think iPadOS 18 will gain more macOS (or macOS-like) features, and functions. I think it’s going to be a big update this year! 👍🏻

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
This year will be a big update. The question is: how much of that refresh will find its way to iPadOS?

One could say: “Well, why else did they give the iPad Pro the M4 if not to give the iPad more powerful features?” But then one could say that every year about the Mwhatever chip in the iPads.

I would hope they do more than simply bring the iPads up to parity with the current iPhones and give them Standby. However, without “always on,” they can’t even do that.

Reactions: gank41

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
One could say: “Well, why else did they give the iPad Pro the M4 if not to give the iPad more powerful features?” But then one could say that every year about the Mwhatever chip in the iPads.

I would hope they do more than simply bring the iPads up to parity with the current iPhones and give them Standby. However, without “always on,” they can’t even do that.
Honestly, I don’t think Standby mode really makes any sense on an iPad or MacBook. But I agree that they will hopefully do more. The last couple of updates (even with 17 being a minor update), they added several very useful features for the iPad like improvements to Stage Manager, and support for external web cams. I’m thinking iPadOS 18 will be an interesting update. 👍🏻

Reactions: Tagbert

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Honestly, I don’t think Standby mode really makes any sense on an iPad or MacBook. But I agree that they will hopefully do more. The last couple of updates (even with 17 being a minor update), they added several very useful features for the iPad like improvements to Stage Manager, and support for external web cams. I’m thinking iPadOS 18 will be an interesting update. 👍🏻
Au contraire! i think Standby mode on iPad would be incredible. You could have your calendar and other key data on display on a much larger screen than with the iPhone. But until they do always on screens, it won’t be much use. In its stead, now, I just set up a a big widgets screen for work and set the display to Never Lock.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The last time iOS and iPadOS had feature parity was when it was not yet called iPadOS which was iOS 12

The following years, iOS got the improvement and new features first before iPadOS of the next year got it, iOS 14 and iPadOS 15, iOS 15 and iPadOS 16, iOS 16 and iPadOS 17, iOS 17 and iPadOS 18

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
The last time iOS and iPadOS had feature parity was when it was not yet called iPadOS which was iOS 12

The following years, iOS got the improvement and new features first before iPadOS of the next year got it, iOS 14 and iPadOS 15, iOS 15 and iPadOS 16, iOS 16 and iPadOS 17, iOS 17 and iPadOS 18
Only for certain features. And iPadOS has received several features that iOS doesn’t have that make iPadOS a better productivity platform. I think it’s generally been a pretty fair trade. 👍🏻

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
I’m really interesting to see what the XCode improvements will look like. I think it would be awesome if we get to the point where we have prompt-based coding with Swift Code. You tell it what you want your app to look like and do, and it generates the code for you, and then you can refine it. That would be amazing! I don’t know that we’ll get there yet with 18, but I think it’s coming eventually.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
Hoping for dual sim improvements across all devices.

Same interface on all devices, choosing which line/number to start conversations from on Mac and iPad, etc.

Better automatic data switching (currently only switches to second sim if primary is completely out of service.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Hoping for dual sim improvements across all devices.

Same interface on all devices, choosing which line/number to start conversations from on Mac and iPad, etc.

Better automatic data switching (currently only switches to second sim if primary is completely out of service.

Those are hardware changes not software though.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
Those are hardware changes not software though.
First is software (bringing the number switcher interface to other platforms like macOS).

Second is probably already supported by the modem - android already does this and settings indicate it switches based on “better availability for calls and internet.”

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
Reactions: john991

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Looks like better app icon customization is coming!!! I hope it does more than just change the color of the icon, but either way, it’s bound to be an improvement! 👍🏻

This is really good news! And by the look of it, it sounds really like a very Apple mid-ground customization, so pretty credible from my opinion.

While it would be great having more customization, I usually prefer to have the original icon of the app, so letting us change the color could be great to make them integrate better into the Home Screen or outstand even more.

Thanks for sharing Kal.

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
This is really good news! And by the look of it, it sounds really like a very Apple mid-ground customization, so pretty credible from my opinion.

While it would be great having more customization, I usually prefer to have the original icon of the app, so letting us change the color could be great to make them integrate better into the Home Screen or outstand even more.

Thanks for sharing Kal.
Yeah, honestly I prefer the system app icons as well, though I do think the neumorphic ones from macOS would look awesome. But changing the color sounds like it would be a cool addition! 👍🏻

You’re welcome! We only have about two weeks to wait! 👍🏻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.