Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated the Battery section of the Settings app in iOS 18 to add a feature that lets you know if you charged your iPhone with a "slow" charger.

ios-18-battery-slow-charging.jpg

Periods of slow charging are shown with an orange bar in the portion of the Battery settings that show battery usage and charging over the past 24 hours or the past 10 days.

We saw the slow charging notice after charging with a 5W wireless charger, as did a Redditor who highlighted the feature. It's not clear what exactly is considered "slow," but the designation is useful for those who are seeing slow charging speeds and aren't sure why.

ios-18-slow-charger.jpg
Image via Reddit

Many wireless chargers claim to be MagSafe while being limited to Qi speeds or below, so this feature could help iPhone users understand why their devices aren't charging at optimum speed. There does not appear to be an option to enable an alert when charging from a slow charger, which could be an arguably better feature because the battery settings are somewhat hidden.

There is a tappable information button that accompanies slow charging notices, but as of right now, it goes to a support document that does not yet exist.

Article Link: iOS 18's Battery Section Tells You If You Used a Slow Charger

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I always use the 5W power adapter for my iPhone SE3 and the 12W power adapter for the iPad 9… this new feature makes it look like it is a bad thing to charge your device slowly, but I think it’s quite the contrary, right?
No it’s not bad. But there are a lot of people, particularly non-techy people, who will use a slow/older charger and think their phone has a problem when it takes hours to charge. Believe it or not, I’ve seen someone try to charge their 16-inch MacBook Pro with a 20W USB-C adapter...

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I always use the 5W power adapter for my iPhone SE3 and the 12W power adapter for the iPad 9… this new feature makes it look like it is a bad thing to charge your device slowly, but I think it’s quite the contrary, right?
Well, certainly when you charge overnight you do not need more than a 5W charger, for those who want/need to charge during the day, obviously faster is better

And yes, I agree, thus makes it look as if “slow” charging is a bad thing

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I use a 5w charging brick to charge my 15PM. My 12.9 M1 gets the 18w treatment because it takes a long time to charge with the 5w brick. I might switch to the 12w for the iPad as I agree with you that charging at a lower wattage for longer periods has benefits

Reactions: Jovijoker

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I use a 5w charging brick to charge my 15PM. My 12.9 M1 gets the 18w treatment because it takes a long time to charge with the 5w brick. I might switch to the 12w for the iPad as I agree with you that charging at a lower wattage for longer periods has benefits
I don’t think the 12W charger will be a good choice for a 12.9” M1 iPP, as the battery is way bigger than the iPad 9 we have at home. And the power needs of an M1 are higher than those or an A13.

Honestly, if you still have an 18W charger that’s great for such machine. With my 11” M2 iPad Pro it came a 20W charger and that’s what I use with the M2, because I understand it needs more power. Yeah, I usually use it while plugged to the power, with the HDMI dongle, although the power the dongle provides is lower than the 20W the adapter provides, because it charges way slower.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
I want to be able to customize this so it comes back with “… are you kidding me with this ****? What is this, 2004?!”

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Well they didn’t include fast chargers in the iPhone boxes so..
This is a good feature nonetheless.
Also can Apple produce even smaller GaN chargers? They are like 2 generations behind now

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well they didn’t include fast chargers in the iPhone boxes so..
This is a good feature nonetheless.
Also can Apple produce even smaller GaN chargers? They are like 2 generations behind now
Apple is conservative in their charger design. People often report many of the small GaN chargers out there run hotter than Apple's chargers. Teardowns also indicate that Apple's chargers are usually better built in general.

BTW, here are my results with some various different chargers with different Apple devices:

I think my 30 Watt USB-C Power Delivery electrical outlets would be fine, but I do have a USB-C electrical outlet without Power Delivery that only puts out 15 Watts at 5 volts 3 amps over USB-C. However, I'm wondering if that might actually be better for an iPad Pro battery than a PD outlet outputting 30 W.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Apple is conservative in their charger design. People often report many of the small GaN chargers out there run hotter than Apple's chargers. Teardowns also indicate that Apple's chargers are usually better built in general.

BTW, here are my results with some various different chargers with different Apple devices:

Yeah. I would still appreciate if they could become a bit smaller. It’s not fitting into the cable management boxes and I had to replace them with 3P ones. I would rather buy from Apple

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don’t think the 12W charger will be a good choice for a 12.9” M1 iPP, as the battery is way bigger than the iPad 9 we have at home. And the power needs of an M1 are higher than those or an A13.

Honestly, if you still have an 18W charger that’s great for such machine. With my 11” M2 iPad Pro it came a 20W charger and that’s what I use with the M2, because I understand it needs more power. Yeah, I usually use it while plugged to the power, with the HDMI dongle, although the power the dongle provides is lower than the 20W the adapter provides, because it charges way slower.
Well I have the charging brick that came with my iPad Pro so maybe it's a 20w brick. It does charge it reasonably fast. I usually charge at night so having it charge quickly isn't super important to me.

Reactions: Jovijoker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.