iOS 4.0 Amazing battery life!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I've had 4.0 GM installed since the day of the keynote now and the battery life is great!

I used my phone for 8 hours yesterday making calls, twitter, texting, craigslist and I woke up this morning and I still have 70% battery!

I have all the same settings I used on 3.1.3 and the battery lasts 10x longer. Since I have enabled multi-tasking and I can close apps with the double click on the 3G that's why it's lasting longer perhaps?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Jailbroken and beta/GM tend to have "off" battery readings. Restart your phone for an accurate reading. I had the same thing happen until I restarted. Beyond that, the OS probably improves battery life to some degree to compensate for multi-tasking.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think most people have had worse battery life after going to 4.0. mine also seems a little worse.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Mine does not appear to be better at all, a little worse maybe.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have somewhat worse battery life, but I suspect that is because WiFi connections are now persistent. The phone maintains its WiFi connection even when it is locked, rather than switching to cellular data only.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Mine seemed slightly better. Certainly no worse.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Mines a bit better.. Normally I go to bed with 35% and 4:30-5 hours of usage. Last night I had 47% remaining with 5:10 of usage. Just mostly texting, few emails and some web browsing.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is this a bug or something that will be fixed before the iphone 4 is available?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, I think this is one of the 100+ "features" of 4.0.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Are you being sarcastic? I'm guessing you're not because I don't see any smiley faces but you never know:D. If the phone is staying on wifi instead of switching over to cellular data, wouldn't that improve battery life anyway?

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Not really, since you will be keeping two radios active, instead of just one.

I suspect this is a change in response to no more unlimited plans being available. Before, Apple could optimize for battery life by turning off the WiFi radio to save the battery, and be assured that the unlimited plan would be able to handle any data usage while the WiFi was off. That's no longer true, so for the sake of keeping people within their data plans, they keep WiFi active the whole time if there is a nearby known network.

12. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

remember guys, the multitasking is currently a battery hog until the apps that you have on your phone are optimized and updated using the new api's...

then you will see huge improvement in battery life from what you have now...

better than 3.1.3?..we shall see.....

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How is this true? Since none of them are using the new APIs, none of them are running the background.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You're right.

15. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

well, the tests that i did showed that when there was lots of the apps i was using in the multitasking dock, my battery life zipped down so much quicker than when i took them out...

what im saying is that when the apps im using are updated to work correctly with multitasking, we will see battery improvements...

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

But just because they're in the dock doesn't mean they're active. It has your recently used apps in there as well. The APIs exist to allow those apps to continue using services of the phone (media for example in pandora) without being truly fully running. Without the app looking for that API, it'd just shut down as would be normal behavior.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, something is wrong with your phone then because those apps aren't running in the background so there's no way they're responsible for the battery usage. Something else happened to your phone.

19. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

My 3G is certainly not persistent with a WiFi connection.

20. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Not even first party apps like "Settings"? (I don't have iOS 4.0, I just remember that Settings now is supposed to start from where you left it, like in a sub-menu)

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That may be the source, but what's he suggesting is that that will change once iOS 4 officially launches. It won't as those are first party apps and are already coded to use the APIs.

22. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Yeah yeah I know, he WAS wrong (3rd party apps at the moment are not using the multitasking feature AT ALL, they're not "a hog"), your answer was totally appropriate, I was just pointing out that first party apps like Settings may already be running in background.

23. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Then, by all means, you shouldn't have iOS 4 yet ...

All developers know that it requires iTunes 9.2 to sync with build 8A293.

24. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Actually, the exact opposite. Once apps take advantage of the API's, then we'll have decreased battery life. Right now, when you close out of an app, it's done using resources. (until iOS4 specific apps are released)