Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ca-united

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Our iOS4 MSN App is under review, once it's approved by Apple, it's full iOS4 only, running background keep connected to get you informed with MSN bussies.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Then its going to be no different UI wise under OS 4, since that's what multitasking will mean for most apps. Being able to suspend its current state and pick back up at the same spot when it resumes.

edit: saw the the thread in the other forum, your right it probably doesn't make use of it considering the load times.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Speaking of the makers of pastebot,

Weightbot was updated. It also has that saved state feature. It's extremely annoying when I see there's an update for iOS4 and it doesn't have that.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
That's not what multitasking is. Any 3.0 app could do this.

Not any 3.0 app could save its state, and the ones that could didn't do it in the same way as 4.0 apps do. Developers could previously write their own save state code but the new 4.0 APIs standardize and simplify that so any app can save it's state when closed.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Not any 3.0 app could save its state, and the ones that could didn't do it in the same way as 4.0 apps do. Developers could previously write their own save state code but the new 4.0 APIs standardize and simplify that so any app can save it's state when closed.

Exactly. A developer could technically save it's state, but it was completely half-assed.

stohr

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Northern NJ
I am really hoping the Sirius/XM app gets updated for multi-tasking in time for release. I listen to Opie and Anthony all morning. Probably why I am averaging 4 gig a month. I am so glad they allowed for the grandfathering of the unlimited plan.

I listen to O&A every day too! I jailbroke my 3GS so I can listen to them and do other things, so I hope the SiriusXM app does get updated, but I am not sure that it will right away. It doesn't look like they put alot of time into their app. Sometimes I have account error messages, it just pisses me off

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Exactly. A developer could technically save it's state, but it was completely half-assed.

It wasn't really half-assed. They just added a few api to make it easier. I really don't see it making a huge difference except they probably will bring more attention to the issue. That may get a lot more apps to update with support. But technically it was not that difficult for most apps in 3.x. Depending on the type of app it can still be difficult no matter which api a developer supports. For something like Facebook, it was simple to save state (they just saved the page you were viewing) to begin with.

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I listen to O&A every day too! I jailbroke my 3GS so I can listen to them and do other things, so I hope the SiriusXM app does get updated, but I am not sure that it will right away. It doesn't look like they put alot of time into their app. Sometimes I have account error messages, it just pisses me off

Yeah I agree I am not expecting it immediately. The acct error messages are VERY frustrating. But I love the show.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Awesome. I think that's the first example of a background audio capable app. I think I might buy it so I can listen to the news on public radio in the background (I wonder how long until the NPR app supports that).

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Just tried it out and it's awesome! Works as advertised. I'm listening to Houston NPR over wifi while reading my email and it's awesome. I like that I can rewind and pause and record like a DVR. I also like the fact that I can listen to more than just NPR, which definitely makes it worth it even if NPR eventually released a background audio capable app.

What makes it even better is I can double tap the home button and then slide the app list to the left and use the iPod controls to pause my radiostream and it keeps loading the stream so when I resume, I didn't miss anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.