iOS 4.0 for iPhone 3G: Terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxxTraxx, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Worst piece of firmware I've ever used for an iPhone.

-It's slow
    - It won't connect to the internet
    - Won't connect to the iTunes store

I'm seriously sorry that I got happy about this firmware and wished i had never installed it. I cannot believe Apple actually released this crap firmware.

I plan on restoring it and see what happens but so far, not so good.

Can't wait for the iPhone 4 to come in the mail.. :rolleyes:

2. SashaFierce Guest

SashaFierce

its time to upgrade, you're using a three year old phone!

3. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

two*

4. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know, seeing the 3G attempt to run iOS 4.0, the original iPhone owners should be happy they don't get it.

Basically rubbing the upgrade thing in my face :p July 21st..

5. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

I don't think that's fair...

I have both my iphone 4 and my old 3G, and I must admit I wish I never installed iOS4 on the old girl - it is beyond ridiculous how slow it is (around 5 or 6 seconds from pressing settings to the menu appearing for example, or a similar delay between hitting text message and the texts opening... the phone was perfectly usable before I upgraded and now it's a pain in the butt.

The software shouldn't have been made available for the 3G if this is the performance you can expect from it (and yes, I did a full restore rather than an upgrade).

Thankfully, it is possible to roll it back - I intend to do it soon... there are some details on this forum but basically you need to download a genuine version of the old firmware then restore to that.

6. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you able to go to the iTunes Store?

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Apple warned people, but everyone pitched a fit about even just the features that didn't get added.

Now we all see why.

8. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

erm.... lemme check

yup, both the itunes store and app store work

9. V4705 macrumors 6502

i don't see why...
    the original ios4 firmware and the patched with multitasking and user background both works awful for me (pretty much the same).
    so if they decided to publish a version for 3g, i think they should have include everything (although i don't think they should've make ANY ios4 firmware for this device).

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Two year for one, and as well, many people don't need to spend $600 on a phone ever year. My Wii is almost 3 years old, should I get a new one? Or my TV, definitely over 3 years, guess I should pick up a new one, not to mention my Rev A MBP...going on 4.5 for that one. And here I was thinking I should hang onto my stuff that still works, thanks for the heads up!

11. bcackerman macrumors member

I found a fix so far...

First back everything up (right click on your phone, Backup)

You need to Restore your 3g back to default, factory reset.

Then setup the phone again from your backup.

Works pretty great so far!

12. Joz3d macrumors member

It really is very terrible. I wish I hadn't upgraded. I was going to be late for an appointment yesterday because they completely closed down the entrance ramp to the freeway I needed to merge onto. I went to my calendar -> appointment -> notes and tapped the underlined phone number to call and notify them of my delay. Nothing happened. I tapped it again. I started to get really pissed off on the 10th tap. At number 15, I yelled about what a POS it is and angrily slammed my iPhone down on the seat next to me (after which it went flying up in the air real high and landed in the cupholder in between seats - was actually a pretty cool sequence). This is the type of experience Apple is giving its users with iOS 4.

And now I find out that if I go back, I'll lose all my data because iTunes deleted my pre-4.0 backup for no good reason, leaving instead the 4.0 immediately-after-"upgrade" backup.

13. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

What you shouldn't expect is older hardware, and lets face it 2008 is an old phone in today's world, to run the most current software unaffected. New firmware gets more complicated and as a result often requires more horsepower to run, it is just a fact of life. I have an original Wii as well and it runs fine, however, I have also never upgraded the OS to something completely new, something that was designed for devices with more power.

On another note, my wife's 3G has the new OS and she does not have same experience. Sure performance is not snappy, but the phone is usable.

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Everything worked on my 3G after the upgrade...but was so slow to the point that I was miserable using it. And then, after my wife got her IP4 last week it was unbearable....good thing mine showed up today.:D

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Mine is sooo slow, NO input response on most occasions. Sometimes it won't respond to me answering a phone call. Everything works, it just takes a few MINUTES to do so :(

16. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I concur.

a) Slow and laggy
    b) Takes forever to boot and shutdown
    c) Apps crash randomly
    d) Ipod chokes and that's how I know its time to reboot phone
    e) App launches are slow
    f) Winnie the pooh does the show up under ibooks.

I await the White Iphone 4.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

It's going to slow right back down again.

18. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Same boat.

19. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'll probably get the new iPhone after a few service packs come out for it.

The general consensous on the net is to NEVER install the IOS4 on the iPhone 3G.

However, if you jailbreak your iPhone, you can do a few things to speed it up for IOS4.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=963134

20. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

A lot of people have been saying its been bad.
    Sorry to hear.

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

works perfectly fine for me, really, not much slower than on 3.1.2

even have homescreen wallpapers activated via redsn0w.

22. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings,

Not sure if someone has posted a guide on how to restore the iPhone successfully but here goes:

(Note this is not my work, I can't remember the specific site but this method worked for my iPhone 3G)

Using Windows 7 32 Bit (apparently users are having issues with 64 bit Windows using this method) download LibUSB and RecBoot as well as the iPhone 3.1.3 firmware.

Put your iPhone into DFU mode and then shift-click Restore, select the 3.1.3 firmware and let it go. It should come up with an error code 1015 or something - that is fine. It'll then leave your phone in recovery mode (The iTunes symbol + usb cable) so now you use RecBoot. Some people have had issues with this part but it worked fine for me, and my iPhone was bricked. You simply use "Exit Recovery Mode" and it'll hopefully fix it (might take a minute or two). After this make sure that you've removed iPhone 4.0 firmware from the correct folder (something like User/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates) and put the 3.1.3 firmware in its place.

The reason for this is even if iTunes says "wish to download 4.0?" and you say no, it'll just update it with whatever firmware it finds in that folder.

This method is a bit touch and go and might not work, but its worth a try. I'll see if I can find the link as no doubt my explanation is pretty crap.