iOS 4.1 GM - Battery Performance.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senc01a, Sep 2, 2010.

1. senc01a macrumors regular

Please post tour experiences!!!
    Better or worse than 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.
    Standby time? Usage? What model where u using and what services?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

iP4 and 3GS running 4.1 GM since last night, I don't see any difference on battery at all.

3. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

There are several 4.1 GM threads going on. It would be great if they were consolidated (with the possible exception of the proximity sensor issue).

4. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have an iPhone 4. Upgraded to iOS 4.1 yesterday.

My phone which usually hits 80% when I am driving home was at 20% today. Fully charged in the AM when I left for work.

I am not sure why- I will check again tomorrow. Anyone seeing similar battery rundowns with iOS 4.1?

5. celticpride678

I installed the iOS 4.1 GM on my second-generation iPod touch, which has been known to experience battery drain easier than other devices on iOS 4.

I've noticed MUCH improved battery life since installing iOS 4.1.

6. amps macrumors member

Same here. Iphone 4 upgraded to 4.1 yesterday. Went to bed with 80% and got up this morning with 17% and a low battery warning. I have restored it and setup as a new phone this morning to see if that helps. I normally don't see much battery drain overnight.

7. yeknom macrumors newbie

Same here. Half way through the day and down to 25%. Fully charged this morning

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

What you're talking about may be down to 'Battery Memory' when you start charging a phone or device which isnt fully depleted, the battery will 'forget' about the capacity, and run down quicker. When you can, deplete it fully, and then let it run down.

9. yeknom macrumors newbie

never had this before with new software.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If i have to guess Ben is an Old Schooler (like myself) This used to be the case for old Battery technology, on the iPhone is actually not the case anymore, however when you been using Battery power devices for long time you get used to certains rituals, I do the same with all my batteries just because I know it help them (Even when based on manufacture testing and spec is no longer necessary). :cool:

( I still run down may battery to dead and back 100% at least once a month)

11. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Overall, LiPoly/LiIon batteries don't like to be run down all the way. However, the reason a once a month full discharge is beneficial is because it allows the battery to recalibrate its capacity.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As i said, no longer necessary (the full discharge/Charge) on modern batteries :D

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I had a similar experience.

INCREDIBLY poor battery performance.

The last two days I've woken up and the battery has been dead from ~50%.

It's clearly not a battery calibration issue, as the battery has run itself down twice now (and I've charged it back to 100%).

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Mine is MUCH IMPROVED!

I would lose 3% over 30 minutes in the morning commuting to work while listening to a podcast. Since 4.1, I only lose 1%.

Noticeably better throughout the day too!

[edit] This is on an iPhone 4.

15. yeknom macrumors newbie

Might be worth us mentioning our devices. I am talking about iPhone 4.

16. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Me too.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Me either on my iP4. It's great as usual.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've decided to keep a note of how the battery level changes over time.

So far:

16:06 - 100%
    18:18 - 94%
    18:32 - 93%

I've sent two SMS since taking it off the charger.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Just an update on my battery life:

16:06 - 100%
    18:18 - 94%
    18:32 - 93%
    19:41 - 82%
    20:43 - 79%
    21:04 - 78%
    22:25 - 71%
    01:01 - 59%
    06:34 - 0%

Have any of the other people in this thread had any more bad experiences?

Obviously 59% in 5 1/2 hours isn't very good (I was sleeping at the time so the phone wasn't doing anything).

With 4.0.2 I could get about 40 hours of standby time.

20. JulianL macrumors 65816

The often unreliable Wikipedia says for 4.1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#4.1) "Improved Battery life across the board[citation needed]". I was going to start a thread asking if anyone had any ideas of where this claimed feature had been plucked from but this thread seems like the right place to ask.

Does anyone have any links to any articles or reports where Apple have claimed to have done any battery-life optimisations for 4.1?

If this was a feature they were genuinely targetting then it would appear from this thread that they've had very mixed results.

I wouldn't be surprised to see battery life improvements in 4.1 because one big feature of 4.1 that Apple have explicitly mentioned is to fix the performance issues on the 3G and I would expect that some or all of that is down to low level code optimisations and I would hope that at least some of those optimisations would also save CPU cycles on the 3GS and 4.

- Julian

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

As far as I can tell, it's just something that people assumed.

That's been on Wikipedia for a very long time (with no citation).

22. JulianL macrumors 65816

Ah. That's a shame, but thanks for the background. Things like "better battery life" are generic improvements like "bug fixes" that could probably be attributed to any new release so in this context totally meaningless. I'm still hopeful though that, because 4.1 is trying to address 3G performance issues, there might be some determined code optimisation going on in this case that results in Wikipedia being accidentally right this time.

I'm a bit of a battery-life obsessive. I like to be able to go away on an overnight or weekend trip without it being a problem if I forget my charger. My iPhone 4 can pretty comfortably do a one-night-away trip but a genuine weekend (2 nights away) is a bit close to the cutoff point and a long weekend would not be possible even with my fairly modest usage pattern.

- Julian

23. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It seems like it is.

Disable everything (especially Push data) and see how long it lasts.

Then re-enable features one by one to find the culprit.

Otherwise do a full restore and see if that solves the problem.

24. JulianL macrumors 65816

That isn't great. I've had my phone off the charger for exactly 6 days now (144 hours) and it's still at 37% capacity. That is on 4.0.1 though. (I never use the web browser so I don't care about the gaping security hole in 4.0.1 and will probably wait until 4.2 in November before I upgrade.)

I don't have any push functions switched on so I would look at that if I was you. I also have my cell service locked to 2G because it uses less power. Of those 6 days I did have Bluetooth turned on for a couple of car journeys so maybe 10 hours of bluetooth pairing with a hands-free car kit. I also used some maps for an hour or so with location services turned on.

I'd definitely say that something is very wrong somewhere. Since it is such a quick drain while doing nothing then one very simple experiment might be to switch it to aeroplane mode tonight and see what the battery is at tomorrow morning. If it's still draining badly then there's no point in you messing with turning off push or anything else since a bad drain in aeroplane mode would be pretty conclusive evidence that you have a dud unit (battery collapsed or something) that needs to be replaced.

- Julian

25. elie.fares macrumors regular

Haven't noticed anything much different from 4.0.1 or 4.0.