iOS 4.1 GM = FANTASTIC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc999, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cc999 macrumors 6502

One full day of heavy use under my belt. I can gladly report the following:

On Iphone 4:

1 - Bluetooth under water bug is FIXED! Worked flawlessly all day in my car.
    never worked for more then 1 call before.

2 - Battery Life - IMPROVED - Used heavy all day (business use) started at 6:00 am now still have 64% (6:24 pm) And I was streaming the US open via Veetle for 45 minutes!

3 - Overall the phone is snappier, absolutly no lag

4 - Proximity issue fixed. Only had minimal problems before.

5 - Sound volume seems to be a bit louder, especially the ringtone.

The single most important issue for me was the Bluetooth bug. I am now convinced this is100% fixed and I could not be happier! THANK YOU APPLE!
    This is the best phone on the market today period.

Charlie C

2. Los macrumors regular

Hmmm I may update. I am jailbroken but I'm not really using that many apps on it to continue using it. Not only that, but theming the iPhone 4 is still a pain in the ass and you can't do much but change the lockscreen here and there and change your icons.

Improved battery life definitely caught my attention. You sure it's improved? :p

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It was definitely not improved for me. Im not sure what the issue was, but I downgraded until the official release comes out.

4. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hmmmmm all sounds good especially the proximity sensor fix, problem is I'm currently Jailbroken and I use a lot of Jailbreak apps, I'll just have to wait and see if they come out with a Jailbreak for 4.1

5. viper3885 macrumors member

I can't comment on bluetooth since I don't have one. But I definitely noticed a slight increase in the battery life. And the proximity sensor now works perfect on mine and my wife's phones. The os also does feel a little snappier than before.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I've noticed more lag since 4.1 than I did on 4.0.2. Maybe I'm just being paranoid since I got the GM and its from an unofficial source.

Does restoring and then setting it up as a backup keep all your settings the same? Like push, mail, etc settings.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

So excited for the BT fix that I'm crying in anticipation of a jailbroken 4.1. I cannot update till then!!!!

8. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes

Yes definitly battery life is improved.
    Bluetooth fix was a game breaker for me. Now works PERFECTLY in my car!

9. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

I don't get it! My battery life is horrible after 4.1...I took the phone off the charger at 8pm and it's now 9:41...im already down to 83%...I even did a restore...with 4.0.2 I was getting 2 days of battery life

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You're not alone.

I've seen quite a few people report poor battery life.

Hopefully someone'll pinpoint a reason why or Apple will get a fix in 4.2

11. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

lets hope mine will be improved.
    btw its 12pm here in australia and is it released yet ?

12. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Sorry but the expected release of iOS 4.1 is on "Cupertino Time" meaning Sept. 8, 10 AM Pacific Time.

13. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

It truly is a glorious update.

14. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

You probably have apps running the background that are sucking up your battery. Not all apps play well when they are still running the background. One example is 'Angry Birds'. If I play Angry Birds for 15 minutes, then "quit" it by pressing the home button (which doesn't completely quit it because it remains running in the background), by the end of the day my battery is down to about 30%, even if I don't do anything else with the iPhone 4 during the day.

If, however, I double-click the home button to bring up the multitasking tray, touch and hold the Angry Birds icon until I get the delete (-) icon, and then fully quit Angry Birds, my battery life returns to normal. 70-80% at the end of the day.

Of my (roughly) 60 apps I have on my iPhone, Angry Birds is, by far, the one that chews up the battery the fastest when left running in the background. I'm sure there are other apps that eat battery when running in the background.

Mark

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Any good app to deal with multitasking?

16. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Don't know what type of car you have, but 4.1 appears to fix the problems I was having with my '09 Ford Sync where it would not automatically connect when I started the car as well as drop the connection constantly.

17. ddavid macrumors regular

Hell no! I hope they wait with 4.1 until they solve any battery issues that might be happening.

18. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

I use 4.0.1 Jailbroke with SBsettings. Battery life on this thing is epic

19. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

car

I use the Bluetooth in a 2010 Prius. Always had the underwater sound to the people on the other side of the phone. Now its perfect!

20. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

I like the update particularly the HDR photo option however my battery life has fallen off a cliff. Even with all apps closed the battery is draining significantly faster than it was before with no change to settings and usual use and apps in background.

I was down to less than 50% by midday today when normally I would still be at 90% +. By mid afternoon I was at 30%.

Not good at all. I did an upgrade rather than a Restore so I suppose that is the next option when the official release comes out.

21. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Interesting. I play Angry birds daily, but it doesn't eat up any noticable battery in the background. I played it last night before bed, woke up and only found a 3% drop in battery.

Sonic 2, however, ate up 1% of battery in the background every 15 min like clockwork.

22. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Get the Remove Background Toggle Switch for SBSettings.

Kills all the apps running in the taskbar. Works well

23. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

I have often left Angry Birds in the background without significant drain. The drops I am seeing today are severe even with no apps running in the background.

Initially I thought it might be Skype as it throws up an error when it loads saying it is only compatible with certain software revisions however even after closing it the drain continues.

24. Orion126 macrumors regular

If you have a jailbroken iPhone you can download Remove Background. It will kill all items running in the background with a press of a button instead of manually.

25. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

It seems a little faster and smoother on GM even though it was plenty fast and smooth before. I don't use bluetooth and had great battery life before so don't notice those things. Proximity sensor issue is fixed.