iOS 4.1 Jailbreak status - please educate me!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I am about to go on a trip and want to take HDR photos during this trip.

This means I need to update my iPhone 4 firmware to iOS 4.1... which means I need to know exactly what my options are for jailbreaking.

So I ask:
    1. Is there a working jailbreak for iOS 4.1 Final? (I am finding mixed information)

2. Is there a way to back up my existing firmware (4.0) so I can restore to this later if 4.1 ends up being un-jailbreakable?

I have never done a jailbreak on an iPhone before but I will need to be able to since I will be moving out of the country and need a means of unlocking this thing.

(FYI I'm a Mac user, so if you're providing instructions please provide them for Mac.)

Thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Lingham macrumors regular

4. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Please reread my original post. This phone will be going overseas in a matter of months when I end up moving. Hence I need to be able to unlock it or it will become useless to me.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

if you are already jailbroken.. hopefully when you opened cydia you clicked make my life easier.. that way cydia backsup your firmware keys and you will always be able to downgrade to that firmware that u were currently on, and any firmware after that.. so if you clicked it.. look up information on tinyunbrella.. it will get those keys for u from cydia. automatically direct itunes to get those keys.. and u can also update your iphone without updating the baseband so that the phone can be unlocked eventually..

6. aleni macrumors 68020

spend $1-$2 for an alternative hdr app in the appstore. it does the job.

anyway i already using 4.1 and i think the apple hdr works best than any hdr apps in the app store though.

7. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Right now with 4.0/4.0.1 you are in the best situation. These two firmwares can be jailbroken and unlocked.

1. Visit Jailbreakme.com
    2. Launch Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock

Once you jailbreak and launch Cydia (which will install during the jailbreak procedure) the first message you get will will be one to back up your SHSH blobs on the phone. This then saves the details for your particular phone on Cydias/Sauriks server. This will allow you to downgrade which Apple prevent doing. However the baseband I believe cant be downgraded.

Alternatively you can use the program TinyUmbrella (Win/Mac) to manually save your blobs on your PC instead. More info here:

http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/iphone-...-to-backup-your-shsh-blobs-with-tinyumbrella/

Installing 4.1 just for HDR is will lock you out of a jailbreak and unlock, so you will be worse off until the tools are released officially.

I suggest if HDR is that important to you, just spend $1/2 for an App in the store and use that. This way you get your jailbreak/unlock and have HDR. Then when 4.1 jailbreak becomes available - you can upgrade then.

8. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

So as long as I have the firmware keys I will be able to downgrade the firmware at a later time if necessary?

Could I simply use this Mac application to grab those keys?
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9189
    Or does it require that I jailbreak the phone first?

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Since Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 and 4.0 along time ago, you can no longer backup the SHSH blobs for those versions. Since 4.1 is the current version, you can still back up those blobs so that in the future, you can restore to 4.1. You can no longer restore to 4.0.1 or 4.0 since you don't have the blobs saved and it is not possible to save them.

Be careful with what you do on the phone since you are on 4.0. If you mess something up, you will have no choice but to restore to 4.1 and currently it is not unlockable or jailbreakable. If you are not sure what something will do to the phone, ask on the forums first. Way to many people do something first and then realize that they can only restore to the most current and they are out of luck.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

This quote is quite amusing.

Is that why people JB to use HDR? ;)

11. anthdci macrumors 6502

also if you require then unlock do not go to 4.1. I believe the baseband is different and ultrasn0w doesnt work. Even if you down grade back to 4.0 the baseband remains the same and therefore not unlockable.

12. Clown Boy macrumors regular

I wanna upgrade to 4.1 to get the proximity sensor fix but not prepared to lose the dozens of apps etc that being Jailbroken has enabled.

Quick question though, WHEN they are able to Jailbreak 4.1, is there anyway I can upgrade AND keep my current desktop settings (apps, winterboard, etc) or do I have to download and start from scratch?

13. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Amusing for you, maybe. You must not travel very far, or you would understand my predicament.

Either I can take great photos or I can still use my phone when I move. Apple won't let me have both.

Edit: n/m, I see you were referring to Lingham's ignorant-ass comment. Sorry, I get what you meant now.

14. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Thank you both for that important info!

15. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Follow MuscleNerd or Comex or iphone_dev

You'll know when they tweet new stuff...

16. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

17. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

stay away from 4.1, even if you capture your SHSH blobs - your baseband will be upgraded. So your possible ultrasn0w unlock will be gone, possibly forever.

i think the best solution for you is to use a different hdr app, as others have suggested. it'll give you the best of both worlds for the time being before a 4.1 jailbreak + unlock comes out.

18. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Not if you're smart about it and use Tiny Umbrella to do the upgrade-restore!

19. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the baseband gets upgraded if you go to 4.1 and does not come back down if you restore 4.0, 4.0.1 or 4.02. As far as I know, there is currently no way to downgrade the baseband.

20. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

correct me if I'm wrong, but i think with tinyumbrella, you can maintain your baseband and still upgrade the iOS

21. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The new version of tiny umbrella allows you to update to 4.1 and keep the old baseband. It does not jailbreak though. Good if you want to "pre-update" to 4.1 and can wait to JB.

22. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

23. Nick0912 macrumors member

Why don't you just buy a decent camera? Just about any camera will have better resolution that an iPhones camera.

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Every information you get out there about the 4.1 JB status is just rumors and speculations, you can't really on it, specially if you have a define time frame (your trip). Go get an HDR app from the App store for a few bucks and Keep your jailbrake.

HDR pro works actually pretty good ;)