iOS 4.1 on 2g iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rossta76, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Rossta76 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in learning how iOS 4.1 is performing on the 2g Touch. Specifically, how is the battery drain issue, wifi, and slowness on this new version? I heard these were serious concerns with iOS 4.0.2 and earlier versions on the touch 2g. Did Apple fix these problems on the 2g touch with this new update?

Thanks!

2. burningbright macrumors regular

I went from 3.1.3 to 4.1 on my 2G and have found no problems so far- it even feels a touch zippier. Wifi seems the same.. Downloading app updates seems much quicker- I've heard somewhere you can d/l 3 at a time with 4.1. The battery seems to drain a bit quicker, but I've very recently been using apps that require the screen on for extended periods, so it's probably just that. In my experience there's no reason to hold back this time!

3. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

I still haven't spent a lot of time with 4.1 on my 2nd Gen Touch, but so far, my initial impression is that YES they DID fix the slowness and battery drain issues--or at least make some gains. Because, yes, I definitely did notice that 4.0 slowed things down and caused higher battery drain--mostly due to push notifications for exchange mail happening all the time, even when the touch was asleep. So, I started keeping WiFi off when I wasn't going to use it for a long period--like at night--and I haven't switched back from that practice--so that would be an interesting experiment in regards to iOS 4.1.

But in any case, yes, it seems zippier for sure, so far.

4. RayLancer macrumors member

iOS4.0 was a nightmare for me on the iPod Touch 2G. Applications kept lagging/crashing, and Safari kept crashing every 5-6minutes of use. I held back on updating to 4.1 since I'm considering going back to 3.1.2 and sticking with that when I donate it to my mom.

5. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

iPod Touch 2g

It's better, definitely. I was never satisfied with 3.1.3, and especially not with 4.0-4.0.2. The 3.1.3 build always felt "heavy" to me, and never seemed to respond quite as quickly as I needed it to. 4.0 was a disaster, of course. But 4.1 is actually better than all of them, as far as I can tell (I have yet to try 3.1.3 again, and DO wonder if living with 4.0 for so long skewed my perception of 4.1 into thinking it's faster than it is).

Let me put it this way: if 4.0 had never come out and they had gone straight to 4.1, nobody would be talking about lags and crashes as a problem. If you upgrade, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results, and if you're not you can always go back. The folders ARE handy, and so is the unified inbox. I'd say give it a try.

6. RayLancer macrumors member

Thanks, I think I will~

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

All fixed with 4.1.

8. tucker61 macrumors regular

2g with 4.1. Fully charged lasts 2'days in standby.
    I would say battery still poor.
    But quicker and less crashes in safari.

9. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Glad to hear that 4.1 improves performance on the 2G touch. I my kids have the 8gb 3G (which I think is really a 2G aside from the Apple part numbering). I'll install it tonight!

10. Rossta76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your input. I will give it a go tonight and will let you know how it goes. Happy Friday all.

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

also to chime in, upgraded my GF's 3.1.1 to 4.1 and so far no problems =) She loves the app organization with folders

12. xbpr macrumors member

I fixed my battery issues in 4.0 by disabling location services and notifications. After updating to 4.1, my battery issues returned. Even with those services still turned off. I was satisfied with the performance of 4.. I should have just left it alone.

13. ahavriluk macrumors member

Same here. In 4.0 I turned off all notifications and push services. The batery was fine. In 4.1 is drains it completely overnight. All is turned off except WI-FI.
    I am considering going back to 3.1.3. I didn't get anything significant with 4.x on my version only problems.

14. Skiathan macrumors newbie

iOS 4.1 on 2g iPod touch

I have iPod touch 2G 16GB no problems with iOS 4 or 4.01 or 4.02 BUT 4.1 has given me the battery problems big time. With all notifications off and sounds and location etc, battery goes from fully charged to totally flat won't switch on in 5 hours. I have also completed a complete reset and restore to no avail. The only thing that works is leaving it in Airplane mode while on standby. This means that something is using Wi Fi on standby. Apps have not changed so it has to be part of iOS 4.1. But What ??

15. xbpr macrumors member

I'm not sure what is causing it. I have noticed that when I wake the device from sleep, the wi-fi icon is on/active. Before the 4.1 update, when waking from sleep, there would be a lag until it connected again.

16. neilw macrumors regular

I also saw a sudden return of the battery problem when I upgraded to 4.1. Of course, "battery problem" is relative; mine will go from 100% to zero in about two days, which is not as bad as some but still *way* worse than it used to be.

I guess I'll try leaving it in airplane mode. The problem is, you forget once and you come back to a dead (or almost so) battery. Fortunately, My iPad has displaced much of my Touch usage, but it's still annoying.