iOS 4.1 - UDID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleboyy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. appleboyy macrumors 6502

do you need to have a UDID registered with apple to use the 4.1 beta?

2. jcorb46529 macrumors newbie

Yes, I forgot that the UDID I had registered in my dev account was my 3Gs and installed 4.1. Got the error in itunes after reboot that my phone was not registered. I had to restore back to 4.0 grab my UDID and register it then reinstall.

3. appleboyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Brilliant :)

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Is your UDID considered to be registered with Apple if you beta test an app for a developer? Can you install 4.1 if that's the case?
    :)

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

No.

6. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Ok. Was just wondering since my UDID was added in order for me to beta test an app. Wasn't going to install 4.1, I was just curious. Thanks for the quick reply.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

That's actually how I ran betas. If you are beta tester and are capable of running ad hoc builds, your device is registered to run beta iOS.

8. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

That's what I assumed... Thanks :)

9. shearm macrumors member

shearm

my experience forgetting to register my udid

I have been a developer for last two years, with my phones registered with their udid. but i forgot that i had not yet registered my ip4 on the developer site before i installed the 4.1 beta.

i got all the way through to the phone restart, but when the phone rebooted, i got a message in itunes that it couldnt complete activation because it was not a properly registered developer phone. i also couldnt use itunes to find the udid of the phone, because it wouldnt get past the warning screen.

at that point, i called apple's developer support line, where a apple support tech told me that i was completely screwed -- that if i didnt register my phone first, i would have to wait until the next beta of the OS or until the final OS release. He even put me on hold to check and then came back and insisted i was out of luck.

thank god i didnt believe him. after some research, i downloaded the apple iphone configuration utility. i plugged the phone in and it immediately gave me a screen that showed the udid.

i took the udid and registered on the iphone developer site, hoping against hope that the tech was wrong. sure enough, after i registered the phone and launched itunes, the install proceeded to the final step, asked whether i wanted to set up as a new phone or from a backup, and then activated the phone. all is well.

i called the tech back and explained, and he expressed amazement that it worked. i dont know if i got lucky, or if this is normal, but i thought i'd offer my story for anyone that finds themselves in the same situation.

10. Xaethyx macrumors newbie

Xaethyx

OMFG THIS! I just did it, forgetting my iPhone 4 wasn't registered... there's an easier way to get your UDID if you forget to register it (Mac only)

open "System Profiler" - Click "USB" on the left side - Click iPhone - The UDID is listed as the serial

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Yep did the same thing myself.

You can also just open up Xcode and in the Activity window, with your iPhone plugged in, you will see the UDID which you can copy and paste into the Provisioning Portal on the Dev Site.

12. shearm macrumors member

shearm

Here's the thing -- I nearly had a heart attack when the Apple guy said there was no way to avoid a bricked phone. I just wish he would have said, no problem -- just register on the site and you'll be fine.

oh well, all's well that ends well i guess.

13. sevenalive macrumors newbie

Help

Would any developer be willing to add my udid so I can activate my 3gs. I flashed mine to 4.1 beta because i tested wordpress a year ago and I thought mine was still registered, now i can't use my phone.

anyone nice enough to help?

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

If Wordpress had you registered to beta test their app, you should still be fine unless you've change devices or they removed you. Did you already contact them?

15. sevenalive macrumors newbie

Ya heard nothing, but shortly after my post a dev was able to help me out. So I got my phone activated.

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

That's definitely the risk you take when you have a random dev or company add you to their account. No guarantees. That would scare me. I'd hate to find out the hard way that they removed my UDID...