iOS 4.2.1 broke my 3g data connectivity.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sgar, Nov 27, 2010.

1. sgar macrumors newbie

Hi there, has anyone else noticed 3g data connection being intermittent since 4.2.1? It has happened to me (I have an iPhone 4) and few others @ the Apple support forum. I tried reset network setting ect, but it doesnt help.
    3g data is so bad for me, that I have been forced to disable it and just use Edge atm.
    I am just surprided that this issue hasnt been reported yet, altrough I am sure there is quite few of us with this problem.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Hm. No problems here.

Try a hard reset: hold down the home button and sleep button, holding 'em through the slide-to-power-off screen until the screen just goes dark.

If that doesn't work, maybe visit a local Apple Store for a session at the Genius Bar. Your iPhone 4 is under warranty and they might choose to swap it out.

3. tonydsam macrumors newbie

I have noticed this as well. I am in the uk but i thought it just may have been problems with my network carrier.

4. sgar thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it has nothing to do with your network carrier.

5. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

As I have detailed in this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2662084&tstart=0

My iPhone 4 has performed flawlessly since purchasing it almost 4 months ago, through 4.0.4.0.1 etc etc until 4.2.1 With the latter firmware I am finding sporadic 3G connectivity. When using an internet utilising app, say the integrated App Store app ("Updates"), or others like speedtest.net 8 out of 10 times or 9 out of 10 times it will be fine but in those 1-2 cases out of 10 it will take an inordinate amount of time and then kick out a network problem message from the app.

This is NOT a matter of my carrier having spotty 3G data connectivity (although Rogers have had it) nor is it a case of the particular celltower being at the time congested (I have duplicated this at 3:30 am and showing 3-5 bars). I know this is not the case as I am still able to switch back to 4.1 as I have on my hard drive the 4.1 GM which I happened to download a few days before the release of 4.1. The 4.1 GM is identical to the release version.

Anyhow, with (using Windows) shift + restore I have shifted back and forth between 4.1 and 4.2.1 about a dozen times. Not once have I had these problems with 4.1 as I am having with 4.2.1

I have done everything with 4.2.1. I have reset network settings, reset all settings, restored the software, restored as a new phone not using any backups whatsoever, Done 2 DFU restores (via slightly different methods) and always the same result. I have sporadic 3G network issues which I *never* had before which could not be put at the door of Rogers.

Clearly this is not a widespread problem - definitely not as widespread as the Wifi issue in iPad and iPhone apple forums. Nevertheless, a lot more people than those reporting it on the apple forums have this problem without knowing it. They simply are not noticing the issues and probably blaming their carrier. A good example is my neighbour who lives in the same apartment building as I do and who has an iPhone 4 also with Rogers and has updated to 4.2.1. When I saw him in the lobby I asked him if he had any issues with 4.2.1 and he said no. I asked him if I could try out his phone and he gave it to me. I was able to duplicate this issue in a few minutes on his phone.