IOS 4.2.1 Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BUFFBOY, Nov 26, 2010.

1. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

I notice the latest 4.2.1 has some problems with 3G, when im browsing the internet using 3G it just stops loading in safari. when i click on bookmarks, it just freezes. i think theres an issue. anyone eles experiencing problems with 4.2.1 ? please post it.
    thanks

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No issue here. Perhaps you should reset your network settings.

3. buddyrich1 macrumors newbie

I'm also having similar problems.

On 4.2.1 when I use 3g to browse safari , the blue bar moves up a fraction and then just stops. The only way I have found to help is to refresh again or click on the link again. Very annoying, especially when a pay for the added browsing. It also seems to affect facebook, email etc.

Resting the network settings doesn't help me and neither have the 3 restores from new.

4. gregrose macrumors 6502

what exactly does resetting the network settings do, what will be changed?

5. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

My experience is that I have 3G connectivity issues with 4.2.1. The OS works very smoothly as it always has, no freezes or lockups. However, I have noticed that with apps that connect to the internet, either the integrated ones like App Store or ones I have added like Speedtest.net or various business apps, occasionally I will find that it will take an inordinate amount of time to connect - eg checking for Updates in App Store. With some apps it will even show that there is a network problem.

I have 4.1 GM on one of my computers here and I am able to go back to 4.1 and forwards so I can do a direct comparison. With 4.1 I do NOT get these network issues. Checking for Updates in the App Store gets an answer almost invariably within 10 seconds or so. With 4.2.1 I can wait over 30 seconds although for the most part it too will be quick. Speed tests show generally speed is much higher with 4.1 than 4.2.1. This indicates to me that either I am having high packet loss or the 3G data connection is dropping and then being reinstated.

I have reset network settings, reset all settings, restored as a new phone without using any backup afterwards ie. as virginal as I can possibly get it and I still have this issue. Being able to switch back and forth between firmwares is able to confirm this without a doubt.

That being said, I really like my phone. I have hardly ever had the proximity issue, I do not have lockups, no dead or stuck pixels etc. I really do not want to make a genius bar appointment and perhaps get a new/refurbished phone.

My thinking is that with alleged rumours of 4.3 coming out next month - Just a rumour - I will wait until then to see if the problem is fixed. I am fully aware that I am in a definite minority with my particular problem. Conceivably, would upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2.1 be best done in DFU mode or restoring to the latest version and setting up as a new phone should most definitely be good enough?

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The 3G had proximity issues? I had one for 2 years and never saw that. My son has it now, but hasn't mentioned anything about it.

Also, he has upgraded to 4.2.1 and said it feels smother in how it handles opening and closing apps. I'll ask about the apps that connect to the net.

Were the problems just when connecting via 3G or wifi or both?

7. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Hi, you misread what I wrote. I have 3G *connectivity* issues as opposed to Wifi *connnectivity" issues with 4.2.1. I have detailed quite extensively my issues and what measures I have taken to try and sort it out here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2662084&tstart=0

4.2.1 is extremely smooth for me too, like all the 4.x.x versions have been, except I have this new issue with my 3G connection. I do not have a wifi setup here - all hardwired - but tests to open wifi routers does not show inordinate problems. And I reiterate, most of the time I have a reasonable 3G connection. But I am either getting huge packet loss with my 3G connection or it is disconnecting and reconnecting. With 4.1 I have none of these problems.