iOS 4.2.1 noticeable slower

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nickb, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nickb macrumors regular

Has anyone noticed that the update has slowed the iPad down? Opening photos it's jerky, home button is laggy

Anyone else? I might revert back to previous version

Also couldn't update. Had to restore and start a fresh as it wouldn't restore from my backup it just froze

Apple are going down hill I think

2. RobNor macrumors regular

Not really noticed anything being slower only the boot up

Scrolling from the home screen to spotlight is much smoother now

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

No noticeable slowdown here. I'm very happy with the update so far..

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was on all the betas so I havent been on 3.2 in a long time. 4.2gmb was perfection for me. Im finishing up syncing 4.2.1. now and im hoping it works just as good as GMb. the battery life I got on GMb was crazyyyyy. I didnt charge it for a week and still had 34%

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No problems at all here - it's all super smooth. The home button "lag" may just be the small delay that's been introduced to detect double taps, but I'd hardly call it "laggy"

6. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I agree. I have reverted back to 3.2.2 because of these issues. In my opinion all these things detract from the overall experience that was smooth as butter on 3.2.2. iOS 4 runs great on my iPhone 3GS but its push A LOT less pixels around. iPad is using the same graphics processor as the 3GS so its over a year old. So basically the hardware is the same as the iPhone with a faster processor. iPad 2 will make iOS 4 shine. Too bad.

Here is a link to the problems I found.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1051351

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

8. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, sounds like alot of people are having the same issues then. Defo choppier navigating around.

i might have a think about reverting back - even though some of the new features are good, general feedback to your fingers needs to be smooth in my eyes.

Do you have any links for reverting back to 3.1.1?

9. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yeah this is a no brainer right now for me. The only thing I need multitasking for is pandora, and I have that on my iPhone anyway. Other than that multitasking really doesn't do much for me accept slow the whole damn system down.:mad: Folders are nice though.:)

You should have the file in /library/iTunes/iPad software updates.
    Plug in your iPad and BACK UP FIRST! After the backup click on restore while holding the option(mac) or shift(windows), then navigate to the file path above. Then just restore from your backup.

Hope that helps.

10. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

yeah same here - im trying to retore from back up as we speak, but its not bloody working at all. It just hangs with the status bar half way on the ipad, then trys to sync and back up again before its finished.

Not sure whats going on here, having real trouble restoring from backup

11. ultima macrumors member

How were you able to revert back to 3.2.2?
    I'm surprised:apple:

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Mine acts the same as if it were not upgraded. I'm good.

13. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Mine's as fast as It's ever been. I'm very pleased overall.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

No problems with the 2 iPads in our household.

15. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Not seeing the slowdown.

Where are folks seeing it? In mobile Safari? Game Apps?

Everything seems snappy on my "launch day" iPad, WiFi 64gb model.

16. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Do not restore from back up. Do a clean install.

17. jdcell100 macrumors regular

18. gatearray macrumors 65816

Revert back to 3.2.2? That's krazy with a "k"...

Try a hard reset of your iPad to clear out the ghosts. Hold sleep and home button until it power cycles on it's own and you get the Apple logo.

iOS 4.2.1 should run perfectly on your iPad, just like it runs on mine and millions of others around the world!

Good luck, and please report back to retract your statements once you reach that point. :)

19. chenahfu macrumors newbie

ipad is the first apple device to use apple A4, same processor used on iphone 4.
    If anything is holding back the ipad performance, it is more likely the case of having only 256mb ram :eek:

20. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

If you read my post I state that it is a fast processor, but the "graphics processor" is the same as the 3GS. I agree about the RAM. However its not just the overall sluggishness at times, but it is a few other bugs. One of which is screwing up syncing of photos that have been previously imported through the iPad camera connection kit, stuttering of audio from pandora or games for a second....and .....well.....here are the rest...

1. Performance: There is a noticeable delay between hitting the home button and returning to the home screen. (Much less fluid than on iOS 3.2.2)

2. Multitasking: When switching between apps and you try to scroll, sometimes it is unresponsive for a second or 2.

3. App Store: There is a problem sometimes when switching between landscape and portrait in the app store. The screen doesn't scale properly

4. Overall Performance: After having more than a few apps running, I noticed the iPad was kind of chugging to catch up when launching apps. The app would just be pokey and stutter. Granted this only lasted a few seconds.

21. foiden macrumors 6502a

Actually, point 1 is by design. There is an on purpose slight delay going to the home screen to allow for the user to still double click that button, even if they click as slow as about a half a second. A user will still be access the task selection even if they don't click the button super fast.

In the previous OS version, the iPad had no double tap logic there, so it assumed that any press would immediately jump to home screen. So by the nature of double tap or no double tap logic, this is (by the rules of UI) by design.

The other issues are valid depending on the user. The scroll is likely not working immediately when the app is still restoring the state from memory, even though the still image of your app is seen immediately. Would be nice to be faster, but it probably would only be improved with a new iPad hardware revision.

22. Dr. Lee-vil macrumors newbie

Dr. Lee-vil

Overall I find 4.2 pretty slow too.

Opening full folders causes a visible stutter. If I close and open the same full folder several times it gets better, but opening other folders and then coming back to the full one creates the stutter again. Folders with only a couple items in them open smoothly.

I can live with the slow folders - it just looks clunky, but browsing with mobile Safari is way slower in 4.2 and it ruins the iPad experience. I have the fastest Comcast service, going through a 1TB Time Capsule wifi router. I turned off Time Machine on all my Macs just to be sure nothing was hogging bandwidth. I cleared cache, history, etc. I rebooted the iPad multiple times with perhaps slight improvement (or maybe I was just wishing). I turned wifi off and on again. How slow is slow? MacRumors.com home page just took 29 seconds before anything was displayed and 53 seconds before the page completed. Other sites seem to do better, but it still takes forever for complex pages to fully load.

Dr. Lee-vil

23. mosx macrumors 65816

4.2 is faster for me.

Did a clean install from DFU, didn't restore from a backup. 100% clean.

24. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

You've hit the nail on the head here Jonny.

My problem is with content, which is backed up - that was imported by the camera kit. Its a load of photos from my wedding/honeymoon which i cant get back onto my iPad (just stuck in my backup)

Im wondering if i revert back to 3.2.2, then try restore from backup - i might get them back - fingers crossed.

what do you think?

25. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

Something is VERY wrong with your iPad or internet connection if it's taking 29 seconds to load Macrumors front page. I've got a modest 5mb internet connection at home and I'd guess that entire page loads in 5-10 seconds on my iPad with 4.2.1.