iOS 4.2.6 and SMS Tones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jpipitone, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jpipitone macrumors newbie

I just received my VZW iPhone on Monday, and started messing around on the file system immediately, of course.

I noticed that there are some new text message tones, such as Anticipate, Bloom, Calypso, Choo Chooo, etc. These SMS tones are also very long for some reason?

I've tried converting AIFF's to WAVs in order to achieve little endian low order byte (iTunes AIFF conversion results in big endian), 16 bit, 44khz, just like the existing SMS tones, however they do not display in the list of text message tones.

I presume that there is a .plist file somewhere that lists the SMS tone name, as well as the location of the file, or some other xml file somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas as to where this file may be found?

I'm going to poke around a bit more and see if I can find it myself. There's gotta be an easier way to customize sms tones, I don't like the idea of renaming existing SMS tones such as sms-received6.caf.

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I would recommend BiteSMS. It has a option to set any of your ringtones as a text tone so all you need to do is make an iPhone ringtone out of the text tone you want and sync it to the phone.

3. jpipitone thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

4. jpipitone thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it - I downloaded the trial license, and it allows me to assign ringtones as my sms sounds, however I would rather not have to purchase it right now.

It seems to be a full fledged text app, and I prefer the stock text app.

5. Gavernty macrumors 6502

you are insane, biteSMS is insanely superior to the stock sms system..... Guess it's user preference though, but give it a legitimate try before dismissing it

6. jpipitone thread starter macrumors newbie

Found something that does exactly what I was looking for - its called ToneFXs.

7. germanjulian macrumors regular

google is your friend. you can just add a "theme" in winterboard with your own custom text tones however they will still be selected via the iphone generic text tone names...

8. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Youtube how to create custom sms tones and use diskaid to ssh. Also use the software "switch" to convert the files to aiff.

9. jpipitone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I'm good. Found the software that does the trick. Haven't had a chance to dig around the file system to do it the way I'd like to do it.

10. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

Do you mind telling others what the software you found is called?

11. jarrodtb macrumors member

:)