iOS 4.2.6 bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fugue, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

When adding contacts to favorites I click on search and find a contact to add. Upon pressing that contact the iPhone crashes to the springboard.

Tried multiple times and experienced the same thing. Can anyone else try and confirm this bug?

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

3. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else experience this on the Verizon iPhone?

4. Pomeless macrumors regular

both the wifey and I have added favorites with no complications. Maybe a re-install of 4.2.6 is in order? *shrugs in ignorance*

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No trouble here.

6. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Not having the same problem. A couple things to try: adding a DIFFERENT contact to see if that contact file (since it's imported) is corrupted, second REBOOT.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would venture to guess that this wouldn't have anything to do with your carrier, but possibly the version of the OS. I would:
    1. Restart the iPhone and try again. If this still fails possibly contact Apple (again, not a carrier issue).
    2. Restore the phone as new, attempt the steps again to see if you can replicate the problem without any customizations.
    3. Setup a Apple Genius appointment.

8. Gavernty macrumors 6502

this used to happen to me on my at&t phone, but I upgraded the ios and have had no problems since

9. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, still crashes to springboard after trying various contacts and rebooting.

Not a major issue but an issue nonetheless. Will stop by apple store before I jailbreak to have them take a look.

My thoughts: crashes because I added contacts through exchange?

Thanks everybody!

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Maybe, try and add in a contact yourself and try that one.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, please try this way of adding a contact. If it still crashes, restore your phone and set it up as new..not from a backup. Then add a contact.

12. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Manually added a contact and still a no go. Crashes to the springboard. What can be the cause or this issue?

13. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Corrupted data from a previous backup possibly - did you use a backup of another iPhone to restore data to your new iPhone?

If so, restore the phone to factory state via iTunes then set up the phone as new instead of importing data from an old backup of another phone.

Or erase the backup, create a fresh backup of the original phone and try using that on your new phone. This method, however, may potentially result in the same problem.

14. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

Does restoring the fresh 4.2.6 firmware mean that I would have to reactivate the phone? Does does the restore work exactly? Thanks

15. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Yes, you will need to reactivate the iPhone but it should do it automatically through iTunes and a nearby cell tower. Click this link for what a restore does and the steps you should expect to see. Make sure your applications and other personal data is backed up, as are pictures in your camera roll.