iOS 4.2 Beta expired - Backup possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Niklasnick, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Niklasnick macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Today my iPhone turned into "Connect with iTunes"-Mode, and when connected iTunes says that this Version of iOS is expired and I need to restore with a newer version. But when I looked at the Backup-history, I had to see that iTunes disabled the auto-backup and my last data saving was exactly a month ago. iTunes has access to all the music, but I can't sync my iPhone. There are very important text messages on the phone and about 40€ (55$) in recently bought apps which werent synced to iTunes.

Is there anything I can do to save my data? Maybe create a backup while in DFU or Restore Mode? It's horrible!
    I know Apple says Betas aren't for primary use and I should use it on a secondary device, but as I'm a coding-loving pupil I can't afford multiple devices.
    Thanks if you can help me,

Niklas

2. sherwinzadeh macrumors member

You can always re-download apps without paying again... don't know about the other stuff.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think your talking about iOS 4.2 beta 2, since that build expired at midnight, so in order to save your data, you have to install a higher build version, meaning, locate beta 3 or you can wait until the GM version is released in a few weeks and update to that.

Your data is not lost, your phone just needs to be updated newer OS.

4. Moomba macrumors regular

You are right in you will need to update to 4.2 beta 3 or higher... or you can downgrade it back to the current official release. However, it will act like a normal restore in that it will update the firmware and then restore the last backup available. There is no way to get the phone to backup in the state it is in currently, and you're going to be forced to restore from the month old backup. At least that has been my experience in the past when a beta expires. Then again I always restore/update via Xcode. I've seen too many issues from people updating with iTunes.