iOS 4.2 Custom SMS Tones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Anybody made any custom SMS tones for 4.2 yet? Do they still have to be ported to the phone manually or can you do it through iTunes now?

2. Snaaake! macrumors member

Pretty sure there are no custom text tones. At least I haven't seen it and I'm running GM 4.2. There are new tones, however they're terrible, and just as annoying and bad as the old ones.

3. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

When you go into a contact, there is an option to set a custom sms tone. When you select it, you can scroll down and see a custom section that is currently empty.

4. Snaaake! macrumors member

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Eh..... No. There isn't.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

WOW! Now THAT is a hopeful sign!

7. Snaaake! macrumors member

I actually do not see this. For contact ringtonea yes, for text messaging no.

8. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

It's there (if you're using 4.2). Right under where it says "ringtone" it says "text tone" and in those options there is a "none" option listed in a separate custom list.

9. Snaaake! macrumors member

That's just the 'none' category. Not a 'none custom tone' category. This thread's done.

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Yes, which means exactly what it says: "none". Maybe in a future release but for now that just means there would be no alert sound for that person.

11. o JRoD o macrumors member

o JRoD o

Cripes. You can't make custom sms tones on 4.2. You mentioned this in another thread as well. Stop misleading people please.

12. intervenient macrumors 6502a

There's always been "none" what are you talking about?

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I don't have a category listed in contacts as TEXT TONE right after RINGTONE. Running 4.1
    And since I don't have a category called TEXT TONE, I sure don't have a NONE option.
    I guess I'll have to check this out more closely once there is an official release. For now, it's status quo unfortunately.:(

There IS a NONE option in the generic New Text Message section under SOUNDS in SETTINGS... if that's what you are talking about, you are correct. That has been there as long as I can remember.

14. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Interesting...I'm guessing that means "custom" in the sense that you can now choose from a variety of pre-loaded tones provided by Apple. It doesn't sound like it's possible to make a custom SMS tone in the same way you can make a custom ringtone and apply it to a contact. At best, a half a loaf...:(

15. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

16. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

it means you can set different tones for specific people

you can't make your own, or load your own text tones.

people on this board really have reading comprehension problems.

17. shandyman Suspended

We won't know for sure til 4.2 and iTunes 10.1 are officially out.

With custom ringtones, there's no custom section until you put them on, same probably goes for custom SMS tones. With ringtones, you needed a specific version of iTunes to put them on. Chances are they will have their own extension like ringtones has .m4r

It could simply be locked out until official release. :)

18. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Unfortunately i think you are wrong there.

The GM is complete 99.9% of the time... 4.2 does NOT have the ability to use custom SMS tones, just individual tones for different contacts.

19. shandyman Suspended

yes the GM will be complete, you missed my point here, you won't see an empty section saying custom under SMS tones, for the same reason you don't see custom under ringtones if you haven't copied any over, it's basically not there until you have some. custom ringtones needed a specific update to iTunes before you could import any.

iTunes 10.1, in its final release might have this, as it's still in beta, it could easily have been left out until final release. and since the code for custom SMS tones can't be that much different to the ringtones, they probably don't even need to test it.

i suppose i shouldn't have mentioned 4.2 in my post as it wasn't relevant. the key thing will be iTunes 10.1.

20. zerocool5878 macrumors newbie

I was not posting for custom ringtones I was posting it for general SMS ringtone info. so in this case YOU fail!

As far as custom ringtones its very simple to make or dl caf files and drop them in.