iOS 4.2 find my iPhone for 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by traralgon, Dec 11, 2010.

1. traralgon macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm wanting to register for the free find my iPhone service, but I don't have access to a 4th Gen device, only the 3GS. In order to register for this, you need only register once using the new iPhone, and then you can delete the account - all it needs is to be activated from the new iPhone 4. You get 3 activations, but only one is needed for your entire account and any associated devices. Would anyone be willing to share an activation and register my account, as I don't have access to the new iPhone.

How to do it, you may ask.

1. Make sure you have the latest iOS update (iOS 4.2.1) installed. Plug in your iPhone and click “Check for updates” in iTunes to get the software.

2. With iOS 4.2.1 installed, tap the Settings app on your iPhone. Then tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” and “Add Account.” Then choose MobileMe.

3. In the MobileMe account menu, enter your iTunes or Apple ID and password (i.e., the login you use to buy iTunes media on the iPhone).

4. The “Find My iPhone” option should appear. Slide it to “ON” to activate it.”

If you are willing, I will PM you my username and password. It would be greatly appreciated.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. phearx macrumors regular

That's not what he's asking. Maybe you should read over what he wrote.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just go to an apple store, bestbuy or any other reseller that has demo units and to do the procedure yourself ;) (you can do it from an iPad, iPhone 4 or the new iPod Touch)

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

Do you still need someone to activate your account? I can help

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I had in mind too.

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Isn't Apple still selling new 3GS iPhones? Why isn't this service available free for the 3GS, like it is for iPhone 4 and iPad?

8. nexsta macrumors 6502

Not really, In the stores I was, they were running iOS.4.1 and you need 4.2

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They would need to have the latest update. Some apple stores have them updated. Not sure about best buys or walmarts though.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I did mine in Best Buy 5 days after 4.2.1 came out :p:);) (I needed to buy some stuff and while there I did it and it took me 15 secs)