ios 4.2 'Find my iPhone' in UK - "No location available"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fergusjk, Nov 23, 2010.

1. fergusjk macrumors member

I installed ios 4.2 earlier and was eager to try out the 'find my iPhone' feature.

I set up a mobile me account and enabled "Find my iPhone in settings".
    I then downloaded the find iPhone app.

However, when I try the app or log into mobileme via a browser on my computer it starts searching for my iPhone 4 but after a while states "No location available".

Is there anything else I need to do?

2. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

Sounds about right to me.

3. fergusjk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response orpheus1120 but I tried disabling/enabling the fmi feature but to no avail.

I opened up the maps app on my iPhone and it is able to find my location automatically quite easily. I went outside for 5 mins to try the fmi app just in case there was an issue with the gps but all it says is "No location available" after about 2/3 mins of searching :mad:

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Can you please make sure of the following:-

1) under SETTINGS>GENERAL>LOCATION SERVICES is turned ON

2) Tab on LOCATION SERVICES, and make sure location service for MAPS is ON

Once you have made sure of the above, do these:-

1) Delete your MobileMe email account from your iPhone.

2) Hard reboot your phone by holding down the sleep/wake button and Home button at the same time until you see the Apple logo.

3) Recreate your MobileMe account, and enable Find My iPhone feature.

4) Reboot your phone again (best) OR ON the airplane mode for awhile (circa 15 seconds or until your carrier's name disappear from the CARRIER section).

5) OFF the Airplane mode.

6) Retest with the FMi app again.

I made the assumption you are using an iPhone 4, or at least have activated the FMi feature using the specified iDevices required to activate this feature.

Let me know what you get after that?

5. fergusjk, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

fergusjk thread starter macrumors member

Hi orpheus1120,

I am using an iPhone 4 with ios version 4.2.1

I done the following as you suggested

yes

yes

yes

powered off my iPhone then rebooted (seen aple logo while os was loading).

yes

switched off then back on as in step 2

I retested FMI app on phone and again it just states "Locating" then after a while "No location available."
    If I go into maps it finds my location straight away...

I also tried mobileme on a browser on a computer but the exact same result. It states "Locating" then after a while "No location available." :(

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

It seems that Apple's server isn't registering your device for location tracking yet. I'm gonna cross all the Xes here. So bear with me, even if these steps seem a little redundant and obvious.

1) Make sure you have verified your email account as instructed in http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/. Make sure this is exactly how you have linked your Apple ID to MobileMe.

2) From a computer, login to your MobileMe account from me.com and verify your iPhone 4 is in the list of tracked devices.

3) I'm not sure what else to go from here, but if you have done the steps above, I would advise you to go to your MobileMe settings again in your iPhone 4, and OFF your FMi feature. Click DONE and enabling it again. ON/OFF airplane mode again and retest.

Beyond that I'm as dumbfounded as you! Hopefully by verifying the basics will get you there! Let me know.

7. fergusjk thread starter macrumors member

I toyed about with a few things and it now seems to be working both from the app and via me.com!!!

I switched airplane mode on and off. I also disconnected from wifi and reconnected (although I doubt that wifi connection would have had an effect).

It works quite well actually. It quickly homes in on the location of the device - on the table next to me :D

My guess is that toggling airplane mode might have done something but don't ask me what...

Thanks for the help orpheus - it's quite a neat feature. I hope I never need it though...

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120