ios 4.2 gm airprint?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by East, Nov 1, 2010.

1. East macrumors member

My iPhone is not finding my printer is anybody else having this problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll only see printers that are shared with 10.6.5 or 10.1. It will NOT see networked printers.

3. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

As soon as I turned on sharing my printer popped up but it just sits at "contacting printer" dunno :confused:

4. Deamos macrumors member

Yeah, I'm having issues as well. Printer Sharing Enabled, Permissions are set..and still No Printers Found. Oh well. I'll wait to see what people figure out

5. darkfiber, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I installed 4.2 on my iPhone 4 and installed the iTunes 10.1 beta (64bit) on my Windows 7 PC. When I go to print from the iPhone it does see my HP LaserJet Printer I have connected to my Windows 7 PC but there is a lock on it. It prompts me for a password but I can't figure out what login/password it wants?

UPDATE: Ah. I did a Google search and found this...

"On a PC, iTunes 10.1 is necessary to use AirPrint. On a Mac, support for AirPrint is built in to the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.5 build of Snow Leopard.

PC users on Windows 7 will also need to enable a "Guest" account on their machine in order to use AirPrint. Without it, an iOS device asks for a username and password, and cannot wirelessly print through Windows."

After I created a Guest account I was able to send a few pages to the printer successfully. However, it seems a bit flaky at times and sending a page seems to take a number of minutes (a lot longer than I would expect). But it works. Not something I would use often but pretty handy if I come across a page that I want a hard copy of.

6. kc3ol macrumors newbie

Airprint

Thanks for the great tip. Now that I have enabled a Guest account on my PC I am able to print with no problems.

Ted:)

7. shandyman Suspended

you don't have to create a guest account, when it asks for the username and password, just use the one you log into windows with..... :)

8. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I tried that but for some reason it wouldn't work.

9. shandyman Suspended

hmm seemed ok here. you on a domain or something? i just have a simple network at home i'm using it on

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Works for me but I wish it would find the network printer. I hate having to leave my computer on to be able to print.

11. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I believe the new HP printers have that feature, maybe we will see new printers released in the future from other manufacturers.

My old Kyocera network laser printer needs replacing soon, here's hoping they add iOS printing to their range of colour lasers soon.