iOS 4.2 GM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by papa8706, Nov 8, 2010.

1. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, not sure where the best area to post this is. I have been waiting to get my hands on the 4.2 update but I am not a developer. I have heard people state that the betas are the only ones that require a UDID/ seen videos of people doing so on youtube.

My question is, is it still okay to download the iOS 4.2 GM and the iTunes beta if I am not a developer. I know you have to be connected to itunes to do so and I didn't know if there are any risks that I should be aware of. Is it illegal or what not despite not needing a UDID or is it fine to upgrade now?

thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you are not a developer you should just wait a few more days for the public 4.2 to be released. :)

3. shandyman Suspended

i've done GM every time going back to 2.0 no issues here

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

When did people stop using the search function? Over the last few weeks there has been an overload of retarded questions that could be answered with an easy search, either on this site or just google alone.

5. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, I did use the search function and google. When did people feel the need to waste time being sassy on forums. I didn't come up with much on this specific GM or the risks of not being a developer such as voided warranties or if you are going to require a udid to restore like you did on the betas. Instead of wasting time not finding the exact answers it's easier to use a forum sometimes. Since many developers are in this forum I figured they would have more insight and i was interested in hearing their opinions regarding non developers installing it. Apple is known for this kind of stuff and I'd rather be safe than make a retarded decision that would cost me $$$ despite of a few wiseass replies in the process.

Thanks to the first couple of posters though and if this elsewhere I obv didn't see it, my apologies

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

2 sec google search for "4.2 gm for ipad" pulled up the results

7. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

last post I need to make since it's clear you are just trying to act "smart". I didn't find the info I was looking for regarding the legality of the issues, the opinion of developers who pay the money to release their apps and have access to the iOS and how they feel about non developers doing so. I was looking for some opinions and answers. Stop wasting forums time with arguing about this topic if you aren't going to provide any answers from your 2 sec findings.

I normally wouldn't do this but explain how your three mighty threads couldn't have be solved on google either...

"Looking for a case w/ front cover....IP4"
    -amazon is sufficient

"need to unlock iphone 3g...need help"
    -millions of websites and videos devoted to unlocking the iphone

it's about a discussion and the members opinions. sorry again to anyone who read this looking for answers

8. LinkMx macrumors member

I understand your points the thing is that a lot of threads like this have appeared since the GM was release and honestly it gets annoying. I know this is a discussion forum but what is the point if we're having the same discussions over and over again.

To answer your question, yes, you can install 4.2 GM right now without registering your id, but to download it you need a registered developer account, there are other sites where you can download it but I would recommend you to wait a couple of days for apple to release the final version since sometimes there are differences beetween the GM and the final version even though they have the same build number.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If your worried about legality or voided warranties then odds say its wrong, knowing apple and all. Unless you are completely new to JB and the whole scene, you cant ruin your device as you can always find a way to go back or fix it. If you did a search and came across a number of sites offering all the same d/l info for 4.2 and the itunes needed, then again the odds say it can be done, regardless of legality issues.

10. dmorris01 macrumors member

Golly, think you and mudslag will survive all these annoyances?

If you take a message board that seriously, perhaps a scotch and/or a hooker would be in order. Either way, maybe you're being a little hard on the guy.

11. LinkMx, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

LinkMx macrumors member

Maybe you're the one who needs to chill out. I didn't mean to come on hard (I even answered his question) and I don't take this forum "seriously" I was just trying to explain why everyone is complaining.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Is it illegal? No
    Is there a chance of ruining your iPad? Yes

The question is are you willing to take the risk or not. However, I took the risk because I wanted folder and multi-tasking. I could use air print, but not really that important. What I really wanted were those two features I mentioned.

So far, I have no issues, but there is always a chance. I would suggest wait for few more days. Apple will release the 4.2 to the public probably by this week.