iOS 4.2 iCal colours.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aimee25, Nov 1, 2010.

1. aimee25 macrumors member

Umm I wouldn't say it's a problem but all my iCal calendar colours have turned pastel with the update. Any Idea why? And how I get them back to their bright pretty selves? I haven't had a chance to play round with mobile me setting, just thought I would see if anyone is having the same issue.

2. garethjs macrumors 6502

It's been pastel since 4.1 was introduced. It's to keep it inline with 10.7 OS.

3. aimee25 thread starter macrumors member

Ohh today was my first beta. Dang, I like my old calendar better.

4. BriMercer macrumors regular

I'm not updating to iOS 4.2 specifically because of the awful new calendar colors.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Actually I like the new style, except for the Exchange calendar. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the color of the Exchange calendar?

6. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Um....k.....thanks for sharing. Seems like a silly reason. :rolleyes:

Steve

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Rather annoyingly, it's not possible to choose colours or change them.

The new pastel shades might be nice and subtle but it's not great for anyone who is colour blind!

8. moondad macrumors member

I'm colour-blind, and I can read them fine. I agree that there should be the option to select your preferred scheme, though.

Actually, I find the iCal implementation pretty half-arsed - it's really annoying that you can't add a new event directly to a specific time slot, for instance, or create new calendars. It's basically just a big version of the iPod equivalent.

Unfortunately, it seems like Apple is increasingly resistant to any kind of user customisation - for instance, the quite deliberate refusal to make the lock switch function user-configurable. What I don't get about this attitude is that it is so obviously going to result in far greater numbers of users choosing to jailbreak their iPads - I, for one, will now do so as soon as possible, and all because of restrictions that have been added in an update that was supposed to make the iPad more user-friendly.

9. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Can you post a screenshot of the new Calendar, in iOS 4.2?

10. b.c. macrumors 6502

not exactly true!

if you use iCal on the Mac and sync calendars with your iPad, you CAN change the colour of a calendar in iCal, and the iPad picks up the change - i.e. calendar colours match on Mac and iPad. I'm using MobileMe calendar sync, and the colour change is updated immediately.

similarly if I go to me.com using Safari, I can edit the calendar colours in my account there, and the change shows up on my iPad (iPhone too, BTW) and iCal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to edit the calendar colours on the iPad directly

I'm guessing that if you use iCal and sync calendars directly through iTunes instead of MobileMe, you might also be able to edit the calendar colours in iCal on your Mac and have those show up on the iPad.

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

Ah, I'm syncing mine through Google Calendar with the end calendars being iPad, iPhone and iCal on Mac. It doesn't like colour changes.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Not exactly. While I have the same "vibrant" colors on iCal, the calendar on the iPad (or iPhone) is a pastel version of the color. There has been no way of avoiding this since iOS 4.1.

13. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Colours instead of colors? That's almost as bad as theatre, centre, defence, and licence. Must be a UK thing :).

14. b.c. macrumors 6502

or Canadian, eh! :)

I didn't really notice that. I've always thought the colours even in iCal were a bit washed out, so I guess I never really paid much attention to those on the iPad or iPhone. anyhow my main point was it's possible to change them on the Mac side depending how you sync...

p.s. happy turkey day to our US friends :) - some of us only get to envy your Black Friday shopping deals

15. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Seems like Apple thought those colors were better, personally I like them more.