IOS 4.2 Jailbreak attempt went badly wrong

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by I Shred, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I Shred macrumors newbie

I decided that i would finally upgrade my 4g Ipod touch form IOS 4.1 to 4.2 since the new redsn0w jailbreak was released and i decided to use this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_670039&v=SSO9L9yFdg4&feature=iv
    I followed it and i have got the correct requirements but when i jailbroke it i got the home screen but the cydia app was a blank square which when i opened it it just would close immediately. I then snyced my Ipod again and repeated the jailbreak process it had the code across the screen but it said please wait then the apple logo came up and now it wont turn off and it wont show up in itunes i will post a vid ASAP so you can see what is happening

2. juliancomics macrumors newbie

Seatbelt Code?

I had the exact same thing with my iPod, and I thought it was gone forever. But then i discovered that you have to put it in recovery mode. That way it will get out of DFU mode and itunes will recognize it.:cool::apple:

3. I Shred thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to put it into recovery mode but it still comes up with the apple logo and nothing shows up on itunes still

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It is impossible to brick an iPhone/iPod Touch there is always a way to fix it. Follow these steps

1.Try doing a hard reset by holding down the home and power buttons until it turns of and then turn it back on again.

If that doesn't work:
    2. Put it into DFU mode, it is proberly in DFU mode already from the jailbreak but try again.

If these 2 steps don't work let me know and I'll explain to you some other ways to fix it although I've had the same problem before and this is what I did to fix it.

5. I Shred thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The video you uploaded is set to private so I can't watch it, please make it public and I will tell you what the problem is.

Did you try the steps I gave you?

7. I Shred thread starter macrumors newbie

okay now you should be able to watch it and yes i did try to do a hard reboot in the vid but it always gets stuck when it gets to the apple logo

8. macingman, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I'm not sure but you appeared to be constantly hard resetting it in the video without letting it stay at the Apple logo and turn on. Try hard reseting and then just leaving it for a few minutes without pressing anything.

The next step is too try putting it into DFU mode. (I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being very repetitive, but it's better to try the easier fixes first.)

You could also try using tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery mode.

Also make sure you are using the latest version of iTunes.

9. I Shred thread starter macrumors newbie

when i leave it the loading circle comes up then freezes and it will stay like that until it runs out of charge :( I will try using tiny umbrella

10. macingman, Jan 3, 2011

macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You jailbroke using a beta jailbreak that is why you encountered this problem.

Put it into DFU mode and restore, try jailbreaking again but this time I recommend using the tethered jailbreak if you can live without the ability to turn the ipod on and off without re-jailbreaking.

(I know it is already in DFU mode from the jailbreak, but if you follow the steps to put it into DFU mode again it should be read by iTunes, also make sure you are using the latest version of iTunes as you need the latest version of iTunes to be able to connect 4.2.1 devices.)

11. I Shred, Jan 3, 2011

I Shred thread starter macrumors newbie

All done thanks for all your help it successfully connected with Itunes and is now being restored

12. CubusX, Jan 3, 2011

CubusX macrumors 6502

Read all the information before you proceed...

The jailbreak for 4.2 on all next generation Apple products (iPhone 4, iPod 4G, iPad) is tethered. You need to connect it to a computer to boot into tethered mode every time the iPhone/iPad/iPod is turned off and turned back on again.

Open redsn0n and follow the directions. When the phone was first jailbroken you had re-run redsn0n and boot into tethered mode. This is the only way the jailbreak works.

I suggest waiting until the untethered jailbreak is released and finalized before you attempt to do this again. Redsnow is not untethered on new devices unless you have your old SHSH from an older version, you most likely do not have these since this was your first attempt at jailbreaking. I would until an easier jailbreak is released at is u tethered.

Just remember to backup before you jailbreak. As a tip you might want to have iTunes not automatically sync with your devices incase a jailbreak is not what your looking for, it will be easier for you to restore to theold setup.

Hopefully this helps.

Also, I have heard that 10.6.5 for Mac does not reconize devices in DFU/RecoveryMode (not sure which now) Zeus to a bug in the software. It was on cnet's website, if your on a Mac you might have enocountered this issue.