iOS 4.2 Public Release

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MXSkier62, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

So by reading these forums, I understand that iOS 4.2 Beta 3 is available to developers (and I guess whoever else wants to run a beta?). Is it unusual to have this many builds of an iOS? I know that Apple tends to roll out a bunch of betas for its Mac OSX releases (such as now, in anticipation of 10.6.5).

I can't stand not having folders on my iPad, like on my iPhone. I like a neat, clutter free iPad screen, and folders is going to be the only way to really do that. So, without anyone actually knowing, but based on past releases to developers, does it seem likely that there will be many more iOS 4.2 betas? Or can we assume that Apple will drop the GM into consumers hands soon (since November is almost upon us)?

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

there will def be a beta 4. maybe more since they still havent incorportated video airplay in any beta yet.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I would say 2 more beta's then the GM.

My best possible guesses:
    October 26 - Beta 4
    November 9th - Beta 5
    November 16th/23rd - GM Release to Developers
    November 23rd/30th - 4.2 Released to Public.

Of course, this is just my personal speculation and opinion. iOS 3.0 had 5 beta's as well.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol you just copied and pasted your post from the other thread didn't ya? You smarty pants. Yes, I agree with you though.

5. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I would bet my life on the 23rd. This way, all iPads will be preinstalled with 4.2 by Black Friday and the start of the holiday shopping season. This is no chance they would release it on the 30th.

6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

The more betas, the better, and fewer bugs in the iOS.

7. Ksane macrumors regular

MXSkier, you could always jailbreak and only add the folders (called Catagories SB). Won't slow your iPad down a single second.

8. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

Or ....

I was just watching the latest Apple Special Event ... I couldn't help but notice that Steve Jobs indicated that 4.2 would be out by the end of the year. Not November, but the end of the year. I know originally during the September event he said November but during the Back to the Mac demo the other day he indicated by the end of the year.

Who knows. I'm probably wrong.

9. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

It depends on his interpretation of "end of the year". Doesn't necessary mean December.

10. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

There were 5 betas for iOS 4.0 and then a gold master, all available before the general release, back in June. I would expect at least one more beta for iOS 4.2.

11. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I've tried Categories on the iPad and ended up removing it. Maybe something has changed since I tried it, but it still seemed to be designed for iPhones and did not work well in landscape mode.

12. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Maybe. Maybe not.

I like everything Apple is doing these days, and I like Jobs and his ideas, but he can be a little bit of a control freak sometimes.

It's not beyond all conjecture that he'll deliberately lose money by waiting to the end of the year, just to get more information about defeating Shatter.

Either way, I'm still in the Apple Camp.